Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help configuring my router to my xbox 360

• 31-01-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

lads trying to stream live tv etc from my laptop to my 360 but im gettin an error message.

Your console is connected to an 802.11b reconfigure your wirless router to

use 80211a.

How do I do this I have eircom broadband with a netopia 2247nwg wireless router any help there please:confused:

simple terms please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

I'm fairly sure 802.11b is one of the lowest quality wireless connections available and 802.11a is one of the best. I have the same router as you and it's only able to produce 802.11b and 802.11g signals. 802.11g is better than 802.11b.

So your only option would be to buy a new router. Think there's even better quality versions out there than 802.11a so keep an eye out.

I'd also say your connection might be a problem. If your using 1mb broadband i'd forget bout video streaming but anything higher should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

you're talking bu**it. If you don't know anything about computer networks please do not give any advice. If you want to learn before advising anyone - click!. None of them is better or worse, they are just different frequencies and speeds.

You don't have to buy new router to stream from your pc. 1mb internet connection has nothing to do with speed of your home network. I think you can still accept those settings when the display is showed. Thats according to M$ help. 801.11b, which is 11mbs network is more than enough to stream video content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

ok I have 3meg eircom broad.Is it not just a case of going in to the router settings and turn it from 802.11b to 80211a?

can any one help me out with this one please??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Does your router support 802.11a?. Does it say that it does in the manual or on the box??.

If it doesn't then obviously your not going to be able to switch it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Taken from Xbox Live Support....
    If you use an 802.11b or an 802.11g wireless network, you may receive the following message when you use your wireless network to connect your Xbox 360 console to a Windows XP Media Center–based computer:

* "Your console is connected to an 802.11b or 802.11g wireless network. An 802.11a wireless network is recommended to connect to Windows Media Center. You may experience performance problems while viewing TV or other video over the current network connection."

This is a notification, not an error message: it does not require action. When you use an 802.11b/g wireless connection, other devices using the same 2.4 gigahertz (GHz) transmission frequency—like cordless phones and microwave ovens—can impede audio or video playback from a Windows Media Center–based PC.

Routers and gateways that use 802.11a operate in the less common 5-GHz band typically encounter less interference than 2.4-GHz devices. If performance suffers in your 802.11b/g wireless network, consider upgrading to an 802.11a wireless network.

Or, use a wired Ethernet connection between console and PC, which enables a bandwidth of 100 Mbps or higher (potentially faster than the 54 Mbps maximum of 802.11g/a wireless networks and significantly faster than the 11 Mbps of wireless 802.11b).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

on the same support page was stated that you can still use 802.11b settings by accepting them (or by pressing Continue).

Just try it, as I said it should be enough to stream media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

docentore wrote: »
    on the same support page was stated that you can still use 802.11b settings by accepting them (or by pressing Continue).

Just try it, as I said it should be enough to stream media.

Ok got past that problem now for the next one,

when i go into the media on my laptop go to the add extender click it says enter 8 digit number whice i do then it says set up could not find your extender

your firewall is not set up to allow upnp discovery.I turned off the firewall complely and still getting the same message.how do i change my firewall to allow upnp discovery?? i have windows vista hope someone can help at it ages now thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

fox007 wrote: »
    how do i change my firewall to allow upnp discovery?? i have windows vista hope someone can help at it ages now thanks again
    Go to your router settings page. (http://192.168.1.254)

Then click expert mode and click yes to enter. Then click configure and then click connection. At the bottom of the page you'll see uPnP. Just make sure its ticked and then save.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭AustinByrnes

i went into my eircom router settings and the uPnP is ticked automattically. i still cant get my asus windows 7 laptop to sync with the xbox 360 media center. i did check the router for a/b/g settings and my router only supports b/g. so i gave up just called a spade a spade and send if the router does not support 802.11 a then it doesent.

i did ring eircom to see if the could send me a router that supported a/b/g and they said no.

Advertisement