Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOP elects new chairman, who is black

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

GuanYin wrote: »
    Explain exactly what the "everything" in your post refers to before posting in this forum again.

A hyperbole went over your heads? :rolleyes: My point is still valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    A hyperbole went over your heads? :rolleyes: My point is still valid.

Maybe you don't understand me. I think you're making a comment that is against the forum rules, indeed the forum ethos.

You can clarify it exactly, or you won't post here again.

How am I making something against forum rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How am I making something against forum rules?
    Its implicitly racist/discriminatory... if you don't want it to be implicitly racist/discriminatory, I do advise you flesh out the comment a bit better.

Why this has moved specifically to immigration is beyond me. However, regarding the sonnet, "The New Colossus", which is the partial quote mentioned here. To be perfectly frank, the ideals and time to which that refers is long gone.

The US was a growing, fractured country and bears no semblance to the country we have today. World economics didn't exist to the same degree. As wonderful a concept as it would be, it would be naive to think we could still apply this in our current system of government and social responsibility (poor as it is) AND STILL remain an economically viable country.

Immigration control is a requirement of any country, the US has a strong, well defined and mostly fair system in place. It is true it favors our allies, but I believe that is the same for most countries.

If people come here legally and pay taxes, I welcome them, with open arms. Those who don't, those who come in, reap the benefits of the legal society and contribute nothing in return, I'm happy to see them deported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Back on topic. Democratic strategist Bob Beckel has an interesting take on the new GOP head Michael Steele. I’ve got to admit I considered Steele to be a moderate Republican from what I’ve seen of him on the dreaded FoxNews. But Beckel has made some good points about the differences between the man's persona and the person on the right. It is good reading and might be a glimpse into the future of the GOP.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/02/democrats_beware_of_michael_st.html

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Make it tough for them and they'll deport themselves.

Am still interested to hear what manner of toughness you reckon would spur them on to 'deport themselves'.

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Not entirely in my opinion, but 30 million new voters registering Democrat will ensure the death of the Republican party. I'm pretty sure this is what they have in mind. I do realize I'm part of a dying breed and see an end to the two party system, but I won't go down without a fight.

Do you really think that? That's a bit alarmist i feel. The Tories in England were destroyed in the '97 election that brought Blair to power. But look at them now?

i used to be confused as to why such a large and diverse country as the USA has only 2 main political parties. But then i came to understand just how diverse those parties are. They both contain myriad factions within. Both of them are broad churches.

The GOP will prove resurgent and you will no doubt have Republican presidents in the future. They might be on the wane now, but they still have millions of supporters. The Dems have a tendency to screw things up for themselves. Hopefully it won't happen under President Obama though *crosses fingers*

theres a lot of political parties, but only 2 with any touch on the government

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_the_United_States

I don't anything about it, but I do know George Washington never intedended for a Party System to be in place. Either way, it happened, and these two parties have muscled the rest out of power, or the others never had it to begin with - im not in touch with the subject: someone older and wiser than me might be able to add to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You want the Govt to continue letting everyone and everything into the Country no questions asked. That could lead to overpopulation and why California is bankrupt.

Since when has there been open borders in the US?

Nodin wrote: »

Here are a compleation of statistics about California from the Los Angeles Times. Tell me this is not a sad result of a rampant open border stystem.

1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County (L. A. County has 10.2 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L. A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish. (There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Overheal wrote: »
    theres a lot of political parties, but only 2 with any touch on the government

It would be interesting to see one of the smaller parties trying to grab a piece of the pie while the Republicans are in the doldrums. i don't think it will happen though. The 2 big ones have something for almost everyone in them (at local, State and Federal level)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Here are a compleation of statistics about California from the Los Angeles Times. Tell me this is not a sad result of a rampant open border stystem.

1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County (L. A. County has 10.2 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L. A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish. (There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County)
    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/i/illegal-aliens.htm

Always check sources. Good luck finding a primary source for the above stuff in the LA Times. The LA Times did however publish a story about levels of illegal immigration to the US dropping in July 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

migrant or squatters?
    thousands of workers have been arrested in scores of raids.

Conservatives have applauded the tactics,

sceptre wrote: »
    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/i/illegal-aliens.htm

Always check sources. Good luck finding a primary source for the above stuff in the LA Times. The LA Times did however publish a story about levels of illegal immigration to the US dropping in July 2008.
    I knew something smelled funny when they concluded that all 40% not paying taxes Had to be illegal aliens. God knows I've had a few cash in hand jobs in my time.

I knew something smelled funny when they concluded that all 40% not paying taxes Had to be illegal aliens. God knows I've had a few cash in hand jobs in my time.

sure, and I made squawt
    private business enterprise can mean less than minimum wage

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Am still interested to hear what manner of toughness you reckon would spur them on to 'deport themselves'.

E-Verify is a step in the right direction. It makes business owners and employees verify any potential employees to prove they are either 1) a US citizen or 2) a Legal Immigrant with valid paperwork [Visas, Green Cards,etc] Illegals start getting freezed out of work due to E-Verify they'll give up and go home.
    Nodin wrote:

A rusty barbwire fence separates US from Mexico [and more than likely Canada as well] Its very easy to sneak through. Hence why there was/is a huge movement for the double border fence.

a selfish waste of resources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A rusty barbwire fence separates US from Mexico [and more than likely Canada as well] Its very easy to sneak through. Hence why there was/is a huge movement for the double border fence.

Insufficient border security is rather different though, than the impression given by the statement below, wouldn't you say?....
    You want the Govt to continue letting everyone and everything into the Country no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I think this is a sorry state of affairs. In the red states where republicans get most of their undying support, most people are extremely racist. This essentially shows that the party is out of touch with the voters, and this elected representative won't have the respect of many of the people he agrees with.

Of course, I think this is great. The republicans should be destroyed and their general manifesto are intrinsically flawed.

I think this is a sorry state of affairs. In the red states where republicans get most of their undying support, most people are extremely racist.

Fact, fiction, or just a bizarre rant?

• Advertisement

God knows I've had a few cash in hand jobs in my time.
    Let me guess... you also didn’t pay any taxes on them, or at least claim the income, did you?

You should apply for a high level job in the Obama administration. With those credentials you should be moved to the top of the list.

As a then-underage worker in ireland, I dont really feel the need to file any back taxes with the IRS.
    I think this is a sorry state of affairs. In the red states where republicans get most of their undying support, most people are extremely racist.
    But I live in a Red State. In a Red District. And I can tell you, thats just not the case.

Ermm? :confused: wha? You *might* argue that that there is more racism in some red states than in Blue states generally (and anyone who argues that has NEVER been to South Boston) but that is completely different to saying that most people there are racist.

That is just plain made up and wrong.
    This essentially shows that the party is out of touch with the voters, and this elected representative won't have the respect of many of the people he agrees with.

I don't think anyone would argue that the Republican Party is out of touch and I don't think much of tokenism but he actually has the support of a lot of Republicans based on issues.
    Of course, I think this is great. The republicans should be destroyed and their general manifesto are intrinsically flawed.

I'm not sure if you know much about the manifestors of the Democratic party, but the Democrats and the Republicans differ on about 4 major issues. Otherwise the Democrats are effectively the Republican-Lite Party.

GuanYin wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would argue that the Republican Party is out of touch...

I would so like to say you’re wrong here... but alas I can’t. The American people tend to love cheapskates in office (a paraphrased quote by Joe Scarborough of MSNBC), especially ones that govern and are responsible for their money. Thankfully the hypocritical Republicans are once again finding their conservative voice on this fiasco they call a stimulus package.

Yes, great way to dust off the shelf from trying to push their blank war cheques.

I dont really feel the need to file any back taxes with the IRS.

Spoken like a true Democrat.

Spoken like a true Democrat.
    Don't take my statement out of context.

Why would I claim income to the IRS that was entirely detached from the United States Financial System? When I wasn't living in the US?

And it doesnt say Democrat anywhere on my Voter Registration so I suggest you withdraw the comment altogether.

Don't take my statement out of context.

Why would I claim income to the IRS that was entirely detached from the United States Financial System? When I wasn't living in the US?
    If you were not a US Citizen at the time, then you are correct and I stand corrected.

I know I have been paying taxes and filing with the IRS since I was 15 years old. I guess that makes me patriotic in Joe Biden’s eyes.
    And it doesnt say Democrat anywhere on my Voter Registration so I suggest you withdraw the comment altogether.
    The word "like" establishes the difference I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I know I have been paying taxes and filing with the IRS since I was 15 years old. I guess that makes me patriotic in Joe Biden’s eyes.

You mean that you paid taxes on the hash pipes you sold?:eek:

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    You mean that you paid taxes on the hash pipes you sold?:eek:

No (but good one). :D

I was taught from a very early age that nothing in life comes free. If I wanted spending money I would have to earn it. My choice was sports or spending money. I started working in the kitchen of the local hospital right after I turned 15.

Advertisement