Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revision books for history, Any use?

Options
  • 31-01-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭

So I was writing out notes for history (Parnell and shizzle) and I realised that, It would take me forever to write notes for History.

I was thinking about get one of them Less Stress/Revise Wise etc books just help me to write notes and cut out the crap of my text book.

Are these any use for History?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

creggy wrote: »
    So I was writing out notes for history (Parnell and shizzle) and I realised that, It would take me forever to write notes for History.

I was thinking about get one of them Less Stress/Revise Wise etc books just help me to write notes and cut out the crap of my text book.

Are these any use for History?

Thanks!

Your own notes are your best. I had my own and they didn't take me that long to write. Also, be aware that examiners easily recognise notes from popular study books and they will mark you more strictly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Totally agree but, I don't have have time to write notes. It's cutting into studying other subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

creggy wrote: »
    Totally agree but, I don't have have time to write notes. It's cutting into studying other subjects!
    Write more concise notes? For me, writing notes WAS studying (for the applicable subjects, of course)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Write more concise notes? For me, writing notes WAS studying (for the applicable subjects, of course)...

Same for me. When I wrote down in my own words I found it easier to study.

If you don't want to write notes then buy the book. I hardly think they are going to write down wrong information in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭k8hm

i have the less stress book and its brilliant for revising the main points! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

I never used to write out notes, still managed an A1 in history, I used just read the book and try and 'connect' with the stuff! (sounds a bit ****-y doesnt it), try and think about the subject a little- what led to something happening and what consequences did it have and what did it lead to and how etc etc, I also used to watch documentaries on relevant stuff if there was feck all on the telly, things like that help. I had those revision books and they are fine as long as you only want maybe a c/d or low b at best, what I used them for was looking back over the course the night before the exam when you dont have neither the time or the energy to go looking at vast pages of gibberish, best of luck!

Ps get to grips with the lay out of an essay before the exam, this is worth a decent few marks on its own if you set out your essays properly with a clear introduction, fluent argument and conclusion at the end, I think a lot of people ignore this bit and just waffle on in their answer trying to just write down every piece of info they can remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Your own notes are your best. I had my own and they didn't take me that long to write. Also, be aware that examiners easily recognise notes from popular study books and they will mark you more strictly.

They cant do that!! As long as long you have the info down and correct you have to get the marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭k8hm

landyman wrote: »
    They cant do that!! As long as long you have the info down and correct you have to get the marks

if they can prove its a completely learned off passage they are allowed mark much more stricter because it counts as plagarism

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

also in the essay there are 40 marks going for presentation an communcication so blatant learnt off stuff will score less

• Registered Users Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

personal notes are best, really. Revision books will always help, when used as directed.

What about documentaries? When you would otherwise be watching simpsons, why not sit down on youtube and enjoy hearing about The Falkland War for instance

• Advertisement
Advertisement