Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adult courses

Options
  • 31-01-2009 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

where do i begin. i am 54 years of age, unemployed, cannot afford to pay for course fees am not collecting social welfare, and have identified a fas course that i would be interested in. it costs 160 euro a day and it takes 8 days. it is an environment thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To be honest I don't think there's a whole lot out there for you at the moment if you aren't in receipt of social welfare payments. A lot of assistance for education is channelled through the DFSA. If you are in receipt of social welfare then they should be able to cover the course costs. There is a fund in DFSA, the name escapes me at the moment, that allows for up to €1000 per person to assist with course costs.

Some of the unions and agencies like the credit union and Vincent de Paul have limited scholarship schemes or support services for education but these are mainly aimed at people in third level courses. A lot of info on educational funding is here www.studentfinance.ie

If you or a parent or grandparent were ever housed in a residential institution for example Artane or Letterfrack industrial schools then there is a scheme whereby you can be assited with the costs of pursuing education and training at skills, vocational or third level. Contact data is here: http://www.nova.ie/Information/Education/

Good luck. :)

Advertisement