Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie with €1k to spend

Options
  • 31-01-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭

I posted this last week in the general Comp&Tech forum without realising that here my be more appropriate.

Basically my current computer (Dell Dimension E521). Pretty basic set up but it covered what I use it for. I don't use any memory sapping programmes with possibly the ecxeotion of AutoCAD and don't use my pc for gaming or watching media (in dial up only land) but would prefer something decent grapically capable to handle AutoCAD. I'm not looking for a new monitor or any other peripherals as I already have these and can upgrade easily at a later stage.

So basically all I need is a CPU. I looked at Dell but they all seem to be pants tbh. Overclockers has some real high spec deals but I've been warned about the limitations on the warranty, which since I am not technically minded does worry me. :(

I was told on the previous thread that I should consider a build, for best value for money, but tbh I wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself and wouldn't know where to go to go about commisioning one. I have my old PC that has plenty of stuff that can still be used like the card reader and the cd drive if required but I don't think they'd be any good to a builder.:confused:

Can anyone link me, or PM me if preferred by the mods to any deals that they think would suit me. I have about a grand to spend and want to get the fastest, most capable PC that I can for that money.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Avoid overclockers, personally I've never seen any of their pre-built options that weren't totally overpriced. Places like Dell are good in the low cost budget home PC's, but once you edge into performance it's hard - actually impossible for the most part - to find that same 'unbeatable' value. Same for more or less any retailer that offers pre-built PC's.

The best value you will get is www.hardwareversand.de, you can pick your machine part-by-part and have them assemble it for you - and their returns support is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Avoid overclockers, personally I've never seen any of their pre-built options that weren't totally overpriced. Places like Dell are good in the low cost budget home PC's, but once you edge into performance it's hard - actually impossible for the most part - to find that same 'unbeatable' value. Same for more or less any retailer that offers pre-built PC's.

The best value you will get is www.hardwareversand.de, you can pick your machine part-by-part and have them assemble it for you - and their returns support is top notch.

Overclockers was pretty good a few weeks ago because their prices are in sterling, no idea if thats changed though

Advertisement