Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New memory - help me choose!

Options
  • 31-01-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looks like my memory is on the way out - Here's a link to it:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-119-CS&tool=3

Can anyone recommend some more for my machine. I'd like to order from them Komplett. I didn't build the system, so I'm unsure as to what RAM to go with to suit my machine - I'm not going for all-out-power - I'd prefer stability!

As a matter if interest, Is it better to go for 2 sticks ot one?!?!

Many Thanks!

SPEC:
    Intel QX6700@3.34ghz
    Tuniq tower cooled
    EVGA nForce 680i mobo (motherboard)
    Corsair 2 gig DDR2 XMS2 Dominator ========= Looking to replace!
    2x nVidia POV 8800gtx (SLI)
    Raid 5 array - 4 disc set - 2tb in total
    Nec 5170 Dvdrw
    XFI Fatality Fps
    PC P+C 750 Silencer Quad
    24" Dell 2407WFP
    Creative 7900 7.1 system
    CM Stacker
    Operating System (Dual boot at BIOS) : xp home / 32bit Vista Ultimate

EDIT: It in with a local Repair shop - they said to order from Komplett and it should it should be around €100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Anyone...?!

Just a link from an informed source!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thanks TerrorFirmer...

That second options looks interesting with the heat-pipe conduit! It important to note, I don't want to overclock - stability is the most important option - would your first link be the "safer" option?!!

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32bit. Would I get use out of 4gig or am I reduced to only 2gig for a non-6fbit OS? ...Sorry if it's a stupid question!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A QX6700 is 2.66Ghz at stock so at that speed its overclocked, so for such purposes its always handier to invest in faster memory, though to be honest the first kit is more then enough for small overclocking anyway. I'd say the first option is fine. Just be sure when you get it, that you reset your bios options to default, or else change the timings and voltages straight away to suit the new ram. What's good for one set might not be so good for another.

You'll be able to see most of that ram in 32-bit.

A QX6700 is 2.66Ghz at stock so at that speed its overclocked, so for such purposes its always handier to invest in faster memory, though to be honest the first kit is more then enough for small overclocking anyway. I'd say the first option is fine. Just be sure when you get it, that you reset your bios options to default, or else change the timings and voltages straight away to suit the new ram. What's good for one set might not be so good for another.

You'll be able to see most of that ram in 32-bit.

Thanks - Will the BIOS settings be included in the packaging?

• Advertisement
Advertisement