Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telecoms Jobs in Sydney/Melb

Options
  • 31-01-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm coming to Aus in March and I'm wondering does anyone know about the state of the telecoms sector in Sydney/Melb? I'm a telcoms engineer and have a bit of an indication from the aussie jobs websites about whats out there currently, but if anyone works specifically in the telecoms sector and can give me a bit of info that would be great..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

elambra wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm coming to Aus in March and I'm wondering does anyone know about the state of the telecoms sector in Sydney/Melb? I'm a telcoms engineer and have a bit of an indication from the aussie jobs websites about whats out there currently, but if anyone works specifically in the telecoms sector and can give me a bit of info that would be great..

Are you on a PR or temporary Visa?

Despite what seek gives the impression of Jobs are hard to come by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I used to work in Telcos in Dublin, its a small game I probably know you.

Any way i know of a few people in Sydney the radio planner found it tough to get work and that was before the credit crunch.

There will be lot of work in Telcos soon as the 4bn rollout of the national BB scheme will soon kick off. It initially was supposed to be fibre throughout but the cost of this and the difficulty in gaining fionance is pushing at least partial wireless covergae for less dense and or profitable areas.

The Govt here are currently weighing up the submissions but Telstra, the most capable of undertaking this had been disqualified from the process.

There will be a lot t play yet in who gets the work but old K Ruddmeister will want this under way prior to next elections.

Im keenly watching this space in case my current employment in construction PM is under risk due to the slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

The two major teleco's in Oz (Optus/Telstra) are reducing staff numbers. It really depends on what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elambra

I've worked for a mobile equipment vendor, in core networks... would like to get some contract work, I see some interesting ads on seek sometimes.. I never see any operators hiring though, not anywhere in the world..

Advertisement