Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Bandwidth

Options
  • 31-01-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi guys, recently by broadband bandwidth seems to have dropped significantly. I have a Zyxel modem/router which I got when I started the contract. The routers status page routinely reports the line speed at 14-1500kbps instead of 3500kbps I was getting before christmas. It's a wired connection so it's hardly due to interference from Wifi networks in the vicinity. I've run the test at speedtest.net and it's reporting the speed as a 1mb line but I'm paying for a 3mb line. See below

401558941.png

Anything I can do to ensure it's not a problem with my equipment/line in the house before I try to harass BT tech support??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

conorgriff wrote: »
    Hi guys, recently by broadband bandwidth seems to have dropped significantly. I have a Zyxel modem/router which I got when I started the contract. The routers status page routinely reports the line speed at 14-1500kbps instead of 3500kbps I was getting before christmas. It's a wired connection so it's hardly due to interference from Wifi networks in the vicinity. I've run the test at speedtest.net and it's reporting the speed as a 1mb line but I'm paying for a 3mb line. See below

401558941.png

Anything I can do to ensure it's not a problem with my equipment/line in the house before I try to harass BT tech support??

Your upload tell us that you are at least on a 3 mb profile so dont worry, your still on the same speed you were before Xmas, but it def seems that something is taking out part of your bandwidth.

Check your line stats, pings are not too bad so I doubt it is a line problem. It seems more like an unfiltered device or that you are using an extension cable/socket. If you dont know how to get your line stats go to http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php and look for your model type, there it will explain you how to obtain these stats.

Post your line stats here to that we can give you a better explanation. If you are using wireless try deactivating it for testing purposes, also, make sure no other applications that could potentially use your bandwidth are active (such as p2p, windows update, antivirus...) then run the test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Bohrio wrote: »
    Your upload tell us that you are at least on a 3 mb profile so dont worry, your still on the same speed you were before Xmas, but it def seems that something is taking out part of your bandwidth.

Check your line stats, pings are not too bad so I doubt it is a line problem. It seems more like an unfiltered device or that you are using an extension cable/socket. If you dont know how to get your line stats go to http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php and look for your model type, there it will explain you how to obtain these stats.

Post your line stats here to that we can give you a better explanation. If you are using wireless try deactivating it for testing purposes, also, make sure no other applications that could potentially use your bandwidth are active (such as p2p, windows update, antivirus...) then run the test again.

Cheers mate, after posting I went checking the devices connected to the phone line to see that they were all still filtered and it turns out one of the sky boxes were not connected through a filter, it used to be but we recently upgraded the box to sky plus and the guys fitting it must have taken the filter with them and just plugged the box into the wall. Download speeds are back at normal levels by the looks of it. Out of curiosity, does an unfiltered device have to be using the line to actually cause interference? If so I'd just be curious what the sky box was doing because I had the impression that it would only dial out intermittently.

Advertisement