Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Windows service packs getting worse?

• 31-01-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

Until a year ago I had a group of Win 98 computers networked to an XP SP2 machine as the server, and broadband through an ZyXel router. All worked well, but then I replaced the main Win 98 machine with a Dell 4 gb RAM machine running Windows Vista Business edition. The Dell computer worked fine, but it wouldn't join the network. That, as it turned out, was because the XP machine didn't have LLTD protocol on it, and according to Microsoft XP SP3 had to be installed to obtain it. In fact it isn't in SP3 at all, and installing that pack on the XP machine completely corrupted the OS, wiped out the OEM recovery files, and corrupted the backups on a remote drive. The only solution was to reformat the hard drive and reload XP, then use a recovery application to get back what files I could. Finally I downloaded LLTD from Microsoft and got the network up again. Then I made the mistake of letting the Vista machine download Vista SP1, and now the netrwork has gone haywire again. In addition, the Vista machine keeps freezing every minute or so for a second or two at a time as it seems to be referring to the C drive for something. So, I wonder, are these endless service packs becoming an indication of desperation since they seem (to me at least) to often cause more problems than they solve -- or am I alone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your Vista PC was incorrectly setup. It probabily has services that should be turned off. Especially Server, Browser, HTTP, HTTPS uPNP etc

I've experienced about 11 service packs or more. They are variable.

You would have been better off getting a cheap dell server and putting Win2000 Server on it and using the XP machine as a workstation.

I tested XP SP3 on a range of PCs fine. But on my laptop enabling/disabling or properties of Network interfacses up to 3min with SP3.

I found that I had a lot of unused Network drivers from no longer fitted internal WiFi or external PCMCIA cards. When I deleted them all from registry SP3 was fine. 7 year old install of XP, never re-installed.

SP3 on the lap top has been very very good since. 35second boot and 10 second shut down. P4 1.8GHz CPU (not mobile), 786M (upgraded from 512M, but only ever peaks about 380M), 1600x1200 15.4" screen with GeForce 4 Go GPU 32M

Advertisement