Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon's depot is in Cork, so why do we get charged for airmail shipping?

Options
  • 31-01-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I buy an awful lot of books online from Amazon.co.uk. The notifications that Amazon send to my email advising me that my "order has despatched" always say that they've been shipped "via An Post". This is hardly surprising, since Amazon's depot is in Cork City. I get the impression that I'm being charged airmail rates for items processed entirely within this country. Am I right?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I thought that it was a call centre in Cork. Open to correction though.

I think that their main warehouse in somewhere in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Yeah, Cork is where their Customer Services Centre is located.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

But the parcels are dispatched from there, by An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Furet wrote: »
    But the parcels are dispatched from there, by An Post.
    I don't think so - they just say AN Post in the emails because they know you are in Ireland and they know that An POst will be the final company to handle it. It's just a bit better than saying "Royal Mail" for everyone.
    There is no Amazon warehouse in Ireland. (yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

I've often wondered that. No products at cork so we have to pay to get it shipped in e.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement