Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsubscribing from a private forum I no longer have access to...

Options
  • 31-01-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

Anyone any ideas how I do this?

I had access to a private forum in the past but I was culled for inactivity or something. Now, I can't get it off my subbed list and I'm forever clicking on it, forgetting I can't access the forum.

It's not a big huge problem or anything, but it's annoying me. I need to go into the forum to unsub as far as I can see, and obviously - denied!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Quick answer is, copy the url of the link to any forum UNSUBSCRIBE on your CP and edit the end number to the number of the forum you want to unsubscribe from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Thanking you kindly Gordon, worked a treat!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Is there a way for me to make this obvious to people? Or should I write a hack to unsubscribe people from private forums they no longer have access to?

It comes up every now and then, but I'm sure there's scenarios where people would want to keep the sub even if they didn't have access to it, bans etc.

*ponders*

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

CuLT wrote: »
    Is there a way for me to make this obvious to people? Or should I write a hack to unsubscribe people from private forums they no longer have access to?

It comes up every now and then, but I'm sure there's scenarios where people would want to keep the sub even if they didn't have access to it, bans etc.

*ponders*

In vBulletin terms is denied access as a result of a ban the same as when the forum is deleted, or does it even matter why you can't access a forum?

At least if you're just banned you could PM a mod of the forum to request access for 5 minutes so you could unsubscribe, whereas with a deleted forum you can't, so maybe all subscriptions to a forum should be automatically cancelled if the forum is deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    That's not a bug, that's the stupidity filter :)

Zaph wrote: »
    In vBulletin terms is denied access as a result of a ban the same as when the forum is deleted, or does it even matter why you can't access a forum?

At least if you're just banned you could PM a mod of the forum to request access for 5 minutes so you could unsubscribe, whereas with a deleted forum you can't, so maybe all subscriptions to a forum should be automatically cancelled if the forum is deleted.
    I assume they are if a forum is deleted, but forums are never deleted, just made inactive, which raises a bit of a dilemma.

A user has three states in a forum access list, 1 (access) 0 (banned) and blank (default).

What this means to a user depends on whether the forum is public or private, or a mix of the two (Soccer, etc). Makes permission handling slightly less straightforward than it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

Advertisement