Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Guitar

Options
  • 31-01-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Just a simple question. Whats the best way to learn? Teach yourself or get teached?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

If you are starting from scratch I'd advise a few lessons to get you off to a good start. After that, it's whatever works for you, though IMO you learn much more from a teacher, as he/she can point out mistakes, keep you motivated, and pointed in the right direction.

The ideal thing would to combine the two i.e. books/the net ect plus a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

flyswatter wrote: »
    Whats the best way to learn? Teach yourself or get teached?
    There is no 'best' way.

It depends on your goals and what you want from the instrument, how much disposable income you have, how capable you are of researching/learning things on your own etc.

As Rigsby says, some kind of middle-ground is probably the best way to decide for yourself. Take a few lessons every now and then and you can decide how worthwhile they are for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Defo teacher. I was teaching myself for a long while without drastic improvement, and as soon as i got a good teacher (after a few auld lads that just teach u chords) my playing got much much better. If you teach yourself oyur on ur own and have to figure everything out and will take longer, and sumtimes it can be frustrating. So I'd recommend a teacher. http://www.registryofguitartutors.co.uk/tutors/tutors-non-uk.php have a look here and scroll down to eire and look for one in your area. I hope I'm a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Thanks for the link A7X, I just couldn't find a teacher in my area. But my brother is learning guitar so I think I'll give his teacher a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

http://www.learnmusic.info/ is also a good resource if you are looking for a teacher. The links section of that site is also very useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement