Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build will not start up

Options
  • 31-01-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I am after buying all the bits for a new PC build from Hardwareversand. I got them in the post last week and put it all together - lovely. The problem is there is nothing happening. The spec was:

Aerocool I-curve+ case
    MSI P43 Neo-f skt 775 board ATX
    Corsair VX550w PSU
    Pentium E5200 dualcore processor
    Samsung spinpoint 1TB SATA drive
    DVD-R/W drive
    4 gigs DDR2 RAM
    graphics card, etc.

I checked the PSU with a phase tester and it has juice going through it to the leads. I also checked the connections to the board and the power button from the board to the case. Still nothing. I am thinking the problem might lie in the case as it has touchscreen buttons at the front and they should light up to enable you to start it up, etc. But there is nothing there.

Can anyone help as at the moment I am reduced to the Mrs's crappy laptop and it cracks me up?

Tom...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

ARe the fans spinning on the psu when you switch it on?

When booting the first time make only only one stick of ram is in the motherboard. Try different slots as well to eliminate this.
    Check your leads again for the power connections to the chassis. You might have them backwards. Very easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Its probably the ram, try to boot it without any ram in, 1 stick in, 2 sticks in different, try every combination.

Check the power and reset cables connecting to mobo, you might have them in the wrong place and plug out all the fans except the cpu.

Of all the threads I have seen, its never been a bad Corsair psu :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

bigtom71 wrote: »
    I am after buying

You bought. You're not "after buying" anything. /rant
    I checked the PSU with a phase tester and it has juice going through it to the leads. I also checked the connections to the board and the power button from the board to the case. Still nothing. I am thinking the problem might lie in the case as it has touchscreen buttons at the front and they should light up to enable you to start it up, etc. But there is nothing there.

Can anyone help as at the moment I am reduced to the Mrs's crappy laptop and it cracks me up?

Tom...

3 options:
    1: Something not plugged into the mainboard correctly.
    2: Mobo ****ed
    3: Case ****ed.

If you have an old PC you can dump your new machine in there and see if the old case works. Alternatively, you can dump your old PC bits in the new case. Either way, situation 2 or 3 leaves you with an RMA problem. But at least you'll know which part needs to be RMA'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

my mate had bought faulty ram and had the same.

Do you have extra stuff so you can change about or test in an other comp?

I have one comp here that refuses to work with a graph which works perfectly in the other comp, never found out why though, just swapped them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried everything except Slutmonkeys idea, which I will have a go at now.

• Advertisement

I figured out the problem! It was a power lead going into the power button on the case. The case has touch screen buttons on the front and the lead doesn't have any juice going through it to power them up. I changed the power button for another, from an old PC, and hey presto. Of course, this was after checking everything else!

Thanks for all the pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

thanks for letting us know, a new one for the list!!! glad you found it though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

bigtom71 wrote: »
    I am after buying all the bits for a new PC build from Hardwareversand. I got them in the post last week and put it all together - lovely. The problem is there is nothing happening. The spec was:

Aerocool I-curve+ case
    MSI P43 Neo-f skt 775 board ATX
    Corsair VX550w PSU
    Pentium E5200 dualcore processor
    Samsung spinpoint 1TB SATA drive
    DVD-R/W drive
    4 gigs DDR2 RAM
    graphics card, etc.

Tom...

If it was a ram issue you would hear beeps. Is there anything happpening at all? check you have the wiring right and also i'm not sure but if there is power to the motherboard you should see messages and numbers light up on the board. My advice disconnect everything from the PSU except for the motherboard and seewhat happens

If it was a ram issue you would hear beeps. Is there anything happpening at all? check you have the wiring right and also i'm not sure but if there is power to the motherboard you should see messages and numbers light up on the board. My advice disconnect everything from the PSU except for the motherboard and seewhat happens

Hi Dark Lord. See my message above, I figured it out already.
    Thanks anyway.

Advertisement