Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General question on servers

• 31-01-2009 9:49pm
    Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Evening all !

This is a rough question which probably has an element of "how long is a piece of string" about it but here goes anyway .....

Coming at this from a non techie / laymans point of view and the question is - how many pages can a server serve at any one time before it begins to slow down and needs the backup of a second server to share the load.

I know there are many factors to that answer in particular the content of the site it is serving but let's say it was our own site http://www.gamesnash.com - which means pages querying database and about 20-30 small images , no sound or video files etc.

We're planning for the future and do expect an enormous traffic increase in the next year. Just trying to gauge how much work one dedicated server can handle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

In many cases the actual bandwidth available to your server will be the limiting factor.

I see that you're running IIS6.0 on a Blacknight host. Is that a dedicated or shared server? If it's your own co-located box can you provide the specs?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Thanks for the response !

To be honest with you all I personally know about the tech end of the server is that is used to be on a shared server but as traffic increased on the site it started to crawl so our web designers advised us to move onto a VPS server hosted at Blacknight.

We are projecting 100,000 - 120,000 page views a day by the end of this year which we assume will mean the need for a dedicated server if not more than 1. As a rough rule of thumb can one dedicated server handle that amount of traffic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Are you using any SQL Backending ?

With a VPS server it will depend what type of control panel software you use. Depending on how much dynamic content and how database driven it is, i wouldnt jump direct to the Dedicated server, try a Decent Spec VPS (prefrably with 1gb memory). If you need a dedicated server it will be easy to move over from your VPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

A dedicated box should have no problem holding that traffic down with decent spec CPU and RAM. Also check about line speed to the box, you might be able to get a dedicated non shared connection to it.

Advertisement