Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Hughes and Ranieri Syndrome?

• 31-01-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭

Surely has to be on his way out now? This has got to be one of the worst managerial performances I've seen at a club. Endowed with so much resources, but has consistently failed and surely today has to be the last nail in the coffin.

I mean it is fairly common that new regimes bring in their own man, and while Ranieri may have been an unfortunate case of this, surely Hughes would be on his way out regardless of the owner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Same kinda c**p is currently going on at Liverpool with Rafa,Hicks, Parry & Gillett. Apparently, they wanted Robbie Keane, but Rafa didn't!? That's why he's on the bench so much.

Any team that resorts to signing Robinho is in trouble! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought Ranieri did really well at Chelsea personally, got them into the top 4 without Ambrov's money. Hughes still has to prove he's as good as Ranieri.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DSB wrote: »
    Surely has to be on his way out now? This has got to be one of the worst managerial performances I've seen at a club. Endowed with so much resources, but has consistently failed and surely today has to be the last nail in the coffin.

I mean it is fairly common that new regimes bring in their own man, and while Ranieri may have been an unfortunate case of this, surely Hughes would be on his way out regardless of the owner?

Difference between Highes and Ranieri is that Ranieri could do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

kearnsr wrote: »
    Difference between Highes and Ranieri is that Ranieri could do the job.

Well Hughes did a great job with Wales and Blackburn, illustrated by both teams terrible performances since left to lesser managers. He has just been god-awful with Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

He's hardly had the time with those resources? I think the way to go for City is build slowly with British style players, that's why I think medium term signing players of Bellamy's ilk more beneficial than flooding in world stars like Robinho/Kaka...slowly slowly catchy monkey!

course he'll never be given the time, fully expect a Mourinho or Ancelotti to be drafted in the Summer probably with Kaka in tow...and so the madness begins :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So where are City supposed to finish the season?

I think I remember everybody saying 7th would be good and 6th very good. They have a game in hand over the teams in both these positions.They have to play Everton who are currently 6th in the league, two wins in those two games leaves them 3 points adrift of Everton.
    They are currently 10th

Do you guys think that finishing in either of those two positions is beyond them?

Is that not good enough now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

what's with all the Ranieri bashing? people seem to really forget just how good Chelsea were at times that year. guess it's just a sign of how the trohpy cabinet is all that matters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol at this stupid knee jerk thread.

I'll say it again - before yesterdays game we had just picked up 10 points from a possible 12.

We lost to a team who has beaten Arsenal and Villa, drawn with Liverpool twice, and almost gotten results against United and Chelsea. They were also in their own back yard.

Wtf like?

Xavi6 wrote: »

I'll say it again - before yesterdays game we had just picked up 10 points from a possible 12.

We lost to a team who has beaten Arsenal and Villa, drawn with Liverpool twice, and almost gotten results against United and Chelsea. They were also in their own back yard.

Wtf like?
    And even with all the bad performers today, SWP had a nightmare, Ireland was poor, and Robinho's shooting was horrific, Bellamy to a lesser extent you were still robbed.

Wtf like?

Eriksson was sacked having done about a million times better, and having broken transfer records in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I would be amazed if Hughes was still in charge of City at the start of next season and that is no disrespect to Hughes who, as previously stated did an excellent job at Wales and Blackburn, but when a financial powerhouse takes over and does not get immediate results then the writing is on the wall considering that Hughes was not their appointment.

City will go for a high-profile manager in the summer to match their idea of a high-profile club - Riijkard is a definite possibility.

Warper wrote: »
    I would be amazed if Hughes was still in charge of City at the start of next season and that is no disrespect to Hughes who, as previously stated did an excellent job at Wales and Blackburn, but when a financial powerhouse takes over and does not get immediate results then the writing is on the wall considering that Hughes was not their appointment.

City will go for a high-profile manager in the summer to match their idea of a high-profile club - Riijkard is a definite possibility.

He hasn't even done moderately ok though. He has been absolutely terrible and definitely deserves to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

He hasn't even done moderately ok though. He has been absolutely terrible and definitely deserves to go.

Ya City have been poor this year, great at home but awful away. They dont have any backbone and Hughes doesnt seem to have the respect of some of the players. Robinho, while a great player has been a negative influence in every club he played in and should never have been signed. In fairness to Hughes, he must have thought omg what have i gotten into here as it was obvious that Robinho wasnt his signing. Having to watch Hughes give the club spiel about Kaka was also a bit disheartening - for Hughes' own sake it would probably be a good thing to break free from this train-wreck. Although for financial reasons he will wait until he is pushed - this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Eriksson was sacked having done about a million times better, and having broken transfer records in the process.
    Eriksson did 'a million times better'? Remind me how many games we won after Christmas last year and where we finished. The fact is that apart from the derby at OT we were absolutely terrible from the middle of January onwards. Using Sven as a benchmark is not really the way to go when making a case against Hughes.

Eriksson did 'a million times better'? Remind me how many games we won after Christmas last year and where we finished. The fact is that apart from the derby at OT we were absolutely terrible from the middle of January onwards. Using Sven as a benchmark is not really the way to go when making a case against Hughes.

Fair enough, you'll know more about the Eriksson reign than I do, so I'll disregard him when discussing Hughes. But with the squad at his disposal, and having broken the transfer record this year, Hughes really has no excuse to be 20 points off the Champions League places in January. I mean City only finished 1 point more than that off in the whole of last season with a much weaker squad.

It seems Hughes doesn't have it in with him to deal with the big name players. I'm not trying to say that he is a bad manager because he has done good things in the past. But if these new owners are pumping the amount that they are into City, they're gonna expect something. I'm sure if City were up fighting for 5th or 6th he'd be given the time to put things right, but the way things stand City stand a realistic chance of not being in any form of European competition next season. Top 6 looks beyond them, so does the Intertoto cup place most likely. Out of both cups, this probably leaves the UEFA Cup as the only real chance of Europe.

If City aren't in Europe next season, how are they get the quality of players like Kaka who they were chasing recently? In effect, Hughes may have set City back a few years.

Warper wrote: »
    Ya City have been poor this year, great at home but awful away. They dont have any backbone and Hughes doesnt seem to have the respect of some of the players. Robinho, while a great player has been a negative influence in every club he played in and should never have been signed. In fairness to Hughes, he must have thought omg what have i gotten into here as it was obvious that Robinho wasnt his signing. Having to watch Hughes give the club spiel about Kaka was also a bit disheartening - for Hughes' own sake it would probably be a good thing to break free from this train-wreck. Although for financial reasons he will wait until he is pushed - this summer.
    Santos

* Campeonato Brasileiro: 2002, 2004

Real Madrid

* La Liga: 2006-07, 2007-08
    * Supercopa de España: 2008

International

* FIFA Confederations Cup: 2005
    * Copa America: 2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wtf like?

Richest club in the world languishing midtable, 6 or so points off relegation.

WTF like is correct but in the wrong sense of it.

Joke shop club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Richest club in the world languishing midtable, 6 or so points off relegation.

WTF like is correct but in the wrong sense of it.

Joke shop club.

No wonder Kaka didn't want to join. A poorly run club with no money is still the same as a poorly run club with money.

mugxvr.gif

Advertisement