Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question

Options
  • 31-01-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

why does the club tottnam call their fans yids, a jewish word.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Spurs have a traditional Jewish support, probably not as much now but the "yiddo" stuff has stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Back in the 70s and 80s when football voilence was at it's peak, opposition fans used to taunt our fans with references to the club's links to the Jewish community in London. There is a long history of Jewish owners/shareholders of the club, and also a good number of Jewish fans. Our fans adopted the term Yids as a badge of honour, choosing to turn the abuse into a rallying cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 yidkid

oh right thanks i never knew about that jewish link,seems like ajax a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i've followed the spurs since when the uncle,ex sky sports reporter,brought me a ann holsten top. yiddo is a thing of the past. religion is everyone's choice,soccer is the only ****in paradox! ps i'm drinking my father in law's jameson:o

yidkid wrote: »
    oh right thanks i never knew about that jewish link,seems like ajax a bit.

Kind of, yeah. I understand Ajax have appropriated Jewish tradition and symbolism in repsonse to anti-semitic taunts from opposing fans, much like Spurs fans have. Isn't the association of Ajax with Judaism to do with Amsterdam being the cntre of the Jewish community in Holland in the pre-war period? I'm not aware of any history of Jewish ownership of the club.

The traditional Jewish communities of London's East End gradually moved nortwards towards Golders Green and Stamford Hill, neither of which is far from N17 and Tottenham [or for that matter N5 and Arsenal, and they also have some history of Jewish ownership]. As I understand it, Stamford Hill is the centre of the Orthodox Judaism in London, and Golders Green is very much the heart of the overall Jewish community.

• Advertisement

staker wrote: »
    i've followed the spurs since when the uncle,ex sky sports reporter,brought me a ann holsten top. yiddo is a thing of the past. religion is everyone's choice,soccer is the only ****in paradox! ps i'm drinking my father in law's jameson:o

:p Stay off boards when you're supping mate, it's a bad combination.

Most football tradition is based in the past, Sunderland are referred to as the Mackems which according to some dates back to 19th century ship building!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

yeah it was orriginally a slaggingfor the jewish connection to tottenham but then the spurs fans made it their own and now we have chants like :

yidd army

yidd army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

:p Stay off boards when you're supping mate, it's a bad combination.

Most football tradition is based in the past, Sunderland are referred to as the Mackems which according to some dates back to 19th century ship building!

What about the monkey hangers, Hartlepool? :D

Advertisement