Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo Wars

Options
  • 31-01-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Seen somewhere last week that the demo for this will be up on the 5th of Feb.

Anyone else see anything, I can't find it anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

That is correct, demo is up on the 5th.
    Ever since the Flood appeared (on Harvest :-/) in Halo Wars I've been very wary of it, we'll see if the gameplay can convince me to put my canonical worries behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I got a preview copy of the game yesterday. I played through the tutorial and first act last night. Some thoughts:

1) The controls are the best yet I've seen an RTS use on a console. Everything is doable within the press of one of two buttons. There's no submenus or messing around with hidden functions. If you want to attack you press X, if you want to use a special power you press Y. If you want to navigate to your base press left on the D-pad, if you want to navigate to your special unit press up on the d-pad etc. It's definately more natural than C&C3/Red Alert 3.

2) Ensemble studios clearly respect Halo 3. The interface and the music are all very similar. The sounds of the weapons and the looks of the vehicles all look like something Bungie would do. The cut-scenes though are better than I've seen in Bungie's effots.

3) RTS fans will scorn it. It's simplistic. You can't select where you build your base, there's little resource gathering The terrain, while it looks 3d, actually isn't i.e. you can't fly or go underground (at least not in the first act). Similarly, there's no unit formations.

4) The game spoon feeds you tips/info. Clearly, this is aimed just as much at people who have never played an RTS before as it is at Halo fans.

5) The missions are tightly scripted and quick. Granted I only played the first act on normal but it was a little easy and each mission took about 20 mins. You always know where to go next too.

6) I never though the Halo story was that good but Ensemble have gone to great pains to tie their plot in white the previous three games. There's even a timeline in the menu which explains the key dates/events in the Halo universe. The missions themselves have cut-scenes, lots of new characters and a good bit of story.

7) I wasn't able to sample the multiplayer but going by my impressions of the single player matches will be quick. It takes relatively little time to build/destroy things and there's a tight unit limit. This isn't an RTS for turtles!
    no sign of the FLood yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SoulReaperDan1

Seems to sound awesome, I would definitely recommend downloading the demo first though, and certainly don't buy it just because you like halo!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I got a copy of Halo Wars the other day also, its not my cuppa tea but if you like RTS its pretty decent, pity it didnt come bundled with the 3 extra maps for Halo 3 (mines a promo aswell)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It's not bad, i didnt particularly like it at first but kinda grew on me, might be worth a look, its out soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

whens halo wars out
    ?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

nice, might pick up a copy of it! seems to be easy to handle!

i wonder will it be on gamebattles.....

Advertisement