Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help!

• 31-01-2009 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

currently i have a Ati Radeon 2400 and a core duo 2.60 and the game runs like hell,can someone tell me what card i should get so i can get good frame rate, the cheapest card btw
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

there is no card on the planet right now that will let gta4 run well on pc.

failing that, I dunno if the 4xxx series of ATI cards are out of your budget or the equivilent nvidia card.

the previous gen cards *might* run gta4 but personally i'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

i was looking at the HD series but they costs alot and also i was wondering do you really need a quad core to run GTA properly?

if you read the big gta4 on pc thread [go to the last page and work back] you'll find posts from guys with different configs running it.

put it this way...2 patches later and gta4 is still no better imo so cpu doesnt seem to matter 'that' much cos it's horribly coded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have the core 2 duo E6600 with a HD4570 1gb. I have 4gb of ram and the game still runs crap. It's playable but just about.

To be honest I gave up on the game it wasn't worth me buying the card and extra 2gb of ram to play. I'm glad I did upgrade but it wasn't enough to run the game well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

kaimera wrote: »
    there is no card on the planet right now that will let gta4 run well on pc.

failing that, I dunno if the 4xxx series of ATI cards are out of your budget or the equivilent nvidia card.

the previous gen cards *might* run gta4 but personally i'm not sure.

I have an ATI 4870 HD, which runs GTA IV nicely, and it wasn't that expensive.

There seem to be a few issues with glitches & freezing in GTA IV with ATI cards though, which is highly annoying, so it's not the perfect solution either.

It's a great card though - no problems with any other game, runs everything on max detail - Crysis Warhead, COD5, etc.

Edit: Also - Eggplantman - I've a 3ghz dual core setup, with only 2GB of Ram, and with this graphics card it's more than adequate.

• Advertisement

oh I know, I have the 4870 myself coupled to an i7 cpu but gta4 is still a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

jusk wrote: »
    I have an ATI 4870 HD, which runs GTA IV nicely, and it wasn't that expensive.

There seem to be a few issues with glitches & freezing in GTA IV with ATI cards though, which is highly annoying, so it's not the perfect solution either.

It's a great card though - no problems with any other game, runs everything on max detail - Crysis Warhead, COD5, etc.

Edit: Also - Eggplantman - I've a 3ghz dual core setup, with only 2GB of Ram, and with this graphics card it's more than adequate.
    Thanks for that jusk,i gonna buy a 4870,but only the 512 version
    146 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

Thanks for that jusk,i gonna buy a 4870,but only the 512 version
    146 euro

It's the 512 version I have myself - great card, I'd highly recommend it.

I was having some freezing issues (only with this game), which seemed to be happening to a few people with the Sapphire version of this card, but I've solved that now by flashing the Vbios, which is awkward, but works like a charm - I'll post how to do it later.

Advertisement