Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No title race

• 31-01-2009 11:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one that thinks there isnt going to be a real title race this year? United dont seem to have any weaknesses and yet still havent really hit their stride in an attacking sense yet. I can see them winning the league and the other top teams just competing over different CL spots.

Chelsea and Liverpool (who have improved) just dont seem to be at uniteds level this year and have struggled at times to get results that would be expected. They play tommorow but I expect that to be the first blow in a battle for 2/3rd instead of a title charge.

Then there is the battle for the 4th CL spot fight between Villa (currently level on pts with Chelsea/Liverpool with 1 game more played) and Arsenal who need to hit form immediatley.

I might be wrong and its just a personal opinion but I dont think there will be a real title race this year in the Premiership.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Depends if chelsea get their act together or not! Can't see the others getting close

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Then there is the battle for the 4th CL spot fight between Villa (currently level on pts with Chelsea/Liverpool with 1 game more played) and Arsenal who need to hit form immediatley.

Disagree, still think Liverpool and Chelsea could also be in that battle for 4th spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Yeah i would agree with OP tbh. After losing such a headstart they had on United over the past few weeks, neither Chelsea or Liverpool seem to have enough fight. They just don't seem bothered. Like when Man U hammered Chelsea, there was no fight, ambition, want for a victory.Now i'm not complaing as i am a Man U fan and would be delighted to see them win the league again. But at that standard you would expect more competiton.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Disagree, still think Liverpool and Chelsea could also be in that battle for 4th spot.

they could be, there is no question thats a possibility and maybe the fact that your saying that indicates that youd agree with my main point that they might not be able to keep pace with United this season who do look like champions, And I as a Villa fan will admit we wont and we are currently 5pts ahead of Arsenal who imo arent title contenders either. So... no title race for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

tomorrows game will tell alot

i believe who ever looses is out of the running

i know theres like 15 games to go but utd havent even peaked yet

also utd are getting back their star players

Rooney is back for the West Ham game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I wouldn't rule Everton out just yet either

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I do think that the team that loses tomorrow is effectively out of the title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd love to see the league won at a canter but I don't see that being the case. I reckon there will be a few twists and turns yet. It might be a two-horse race after tomorrow though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I agree with Bounty to a point. I think Utd will win the league alright. Whether they're made work for it or not, i don't know.
    When Scolari was appointed, i was delighted. I was very dubious about his club career as a manager and felt that could weaken them. But, for reasons that i have to admit i can't quite recall, i felt before the season started that they would win the league. The first couple of months of the season only strengthened that opinion. But they have definately faded a bit since.
    I think Liverpool will finish second. How far they push Utd remains to be seen. I think you do your own club a dis-service there, Bounty. At the moment, they're in the title race. I can't see them winning it, but they're up there. It's not just a Champions League battle. I think they will drop off eventually though. Chelsea third and then Villa and Arsenal battle it out for fourth spot. But Villa, at the moment, are certainly in the title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

It's definitely upto Chelsea to get in form or there won't be much of a race come March. Maybe United might actually struggle to score in a few games, and that might affect them but otherwise I doubt there's much stopping them this year. Too early to say? Probably.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't rule Everton out just yet either

That like Chelsea/Liverpool dropping into that battle is a possibility of course but with Everton what 11pts behind Villa currently I see it far more likely they will be in a battle for 5th at best, as I cant see both Arsenal and Villa dropping enough points while Everton go almost unbeaten to get 4th. Although i guess i was more on about the title race or non-race and how these teams would be involved elsewhere.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    I agree with Bounty to a point. I think Utd will win the league alright. Whether they're made work for it or not, i don't know.
    When Scolari was appointed, i was delighted. I was very dubious about his club career as a manager and felt that could weaken them. But, for reasons that i have to admit i can't quite recall, i felt before the season started that they would win the league. The first couple of months of the season only strengthened that opinion. But they have definately faded a bit since.
    I think Liverpool will finish second. How far they push Utd remains to be seen. I think you do your own club a dis-service there, Bounty. At the moment, they're in the title race. I can't see them winning it, but they're up there. It's not just a Champions League battle. I think they will drop off eventually though. Chelsea third and then Villa and Arsenal battle it out for fourth spot. But Villa, at the moment, are certainly in the title race. Not just battling a for a Champions League place.

Maybe im doing my own side a dissevice as yes right now technically we are in the title race positions, but we are not thinking of the title and not expecting to still be talking about it in our last few games. We our enjoying the fact that we are up there now but we are going to keep it realistic for now as ive said here before Villa are already ahead of schedule as is with where we are.

Interesting that you mention Scolari also, ive nevver questioned his club management because he had no prem exp, I do think scolari is quality but this is not even nearly his Chelsea yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

PHB wrote: »
    I do think that the team that loses tomorrow is effectively out of the title race.

I wouldn't agree with that. If Liverpool lose I suppose you could rule them out, as I think they have some tough games over the next few weeks, and will drop more points imo.

However, if Chelsea were to lose, I still wouldn't rule them out. They are capable of a lot more than Liverpool, and possess a (forgive me) bounce-back-ability that I dont think Liverpool have.

the most commonly predicted result for tommorow is a draw which would leave united who still arent firing on all cylinders but are the only side looking like champions 4 points clear with a game in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Unless Chelsea win tomorrow the League unfortunately is as good as over. Take a look at Utd's fixture list and you just cant see where they are going to slip up considering they can now afford to lose 2 games and still win the League and that is assuming that Chelsea have a 100% record until the end of the season. No wonder some bookies now have them at 1-4 favs.

Some people are saying that this year is one of the closest ever but we are now at the end of January and its looking bleak. They could easily win it this year by 10 pts +.

Advertisement