Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preferential treatment to others with mod status

Options
  • 31-01-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Dudess wrote: »

Are you actually for real? I mean, seriously? You're saying if the OP was Irish, people would be ok with him hogging the bathroom and wasting electricity? Please, get off your high horse. Everyone else is having a go at him because his behaviour is selfish and inconsiderate, nothing else. It's only you that has made an issue of him being foreign. Oh yeah, one person asked for confirmation that English wasn't his first language, due to his rather unusual style of writing.

I'll throw that accusation right back at ya and ask if YOU are for real. It's pretty obvious I was referring to people making fun of his writing style and nothing to do with the shower problem.
    And moderators are members like anyone else when they're posting outside of the forum(s) they moderate.

And again I'm going to throw your accusation right back at ya because there's no way mods of any board don't given preferential treatment to others with mod status. You see people on boards with mod status making much rattier posts to people than ordinary members would dare without risking sanctions. So YOU get off your high horse.

Re. the money issue: I don't think its necessarily too big of a deal as for all we know others in the house are adding much more to the bill with heaters in their rooms or high-powered hifis or laptops running all day long.

Also, I have to agree with the posters calling this girl a nut. For anyone who has read all of Eric's posts, he's made it clear that other room-mates have a problem with her generally cranky attitude too. And I also agree with the person who said they should call a house meeting to discuss issues like this. Even as a one-off. I know many's the girl who would have called the police straight away if he'd done to her what she'd done to him. Its cranky woman vs selfish man here. Neither are totally in the right but she has overstepped the mark a lot further.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And again I'm going to throw your accusation right back at ya because there's no way mods of any board don't given preferential treatment to others with mod status. You see people on boards with mod status making much rattier posts to people than ordinary members would dare without risking sanctions. So YOU get off your high horse.

Let's be clear about this right now - NOBODY gets preferential treatment on this forum, regardless of their status on Boards. If one of the Admins posted something deemed inappropriate for the forum there's not a single moderator here who would have any hesitation in banning them. Failure to do so undermines this forum and the confidence people have in it that they can come here and seek advice. One of the current PI mods was herself banned from the forum not so long ago. She also moderates a number of other forums and had in fact been a previous PI mod who had stepped down at the time of her banning. We don't play favourites here, if you have a particular issue with a post, report it and it will be dealt with, but don't start hurling around accusations on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Zaph wrote: »
    Let's be clear about this right now - NOBODY gets preferential treatment on this forum, regardless of their status on Boards. If one of the Admins posted something deemed inappropriate for the forum there's not a single moderator here who would have any hesitation in banning them. Failure to do so undermines this forum and the confidence people have in it that they can come here and seek advice. One of the current PI mods was herself banned from the forum not so long ago. She also moderates a number of other forums and had in fact been a previous PI mod who had stepped down at the time of her banning. We don't play favourites here, if you have a particular issue with a post, report it and it will be dealt with, but don't start hurling around accusations on the thread.

Fair enough, I'll take your word for that. I was referring to other parts of boards where I've seen it and didn't have any reason to believe it would be any different here. You now have the benefit of my doubt until something convinces me otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Moved from PI, unbelievible an unreggie OP derailing thier own thread.
    Be glad zaph got there first for I would have locked the thread as you are unreggie
    and can't be infracted or banned for arguing with a mod about a mod action in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If its of any help I can tell you that I have banned 2 moderators from forums I mod.

Unfortunately I was also banned myself from another forum :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I can... umm... see this going places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,231 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can... umm... see this going places.
    I have ridden the Forum Worm, and have seen a great many things.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Moved from PI, unbelievible an unreggie OP derailing thier own thread.
    Be glad zaph got there first for I would have locked the thread as you are unreggie
    and can't be infracted or banned for arguing with a mod about a mod action in the forum.
    Ah cheer up, it means they cant retort without giving themselves up.

....so can we bully the unreg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

muffler wrote: »
    If its of any help I can tell you that I have banned 2 moderators from forums I mod.

Unfortunately I was also banned myself from another forum :o

ha ha ha thats fair funy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Nobody gets preferential treatment, have been banned as a mod. meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Let's be clear about this right now - NOBODY gets preferential treatment on this forum, regardless of their status on Boards. .

why is pighead and others allowed to make fun on people in the prison forums then and others cannot?

nuxxx wrote: »
    why is pighead and others allowed to make fun on people in the prison forums then and others cannot?

I've never seen Pighead do anything but attempt to rehabilitate and guide the poor misguided souls haunting the prison forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

that is clearly not the point, hes not a moderator

that is clearly not the point, hes not a moderator

Moderators do not generally have access to the prison forum.
    If you have a problem with a specific post use the "report post" function and the mods of the Prison forum will be notified as to your specific objections.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pighead has nothing to do with PI, which is where this thread started. His access to the Prison forum was granted by the Admins or SMods, if you want to discuss it further I suggest you take it up with one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I suggest we pre-emptively ban Henry Watson Fowler, since the post in question does read like a parody of the examples given in the "General Principles" section of Chapter 1 of The King's English, so I'm sure he would have had a go too. Hell, given how often he had a go at The Times, The Telegraph and even Kipling I'm sure he wouldn't have held back on a web forum.

Indeed, let's preëmptively ban the bastard for what he said about Kipling, it's unjust to complain at his foreign adoptions when they were so effective and the passage of time proved Kipling right about morale at least.

I know we have a thing about not preëmptively (Fowler would probably hate my preference for the New Yorker Magazine spelling of preëmptively as well, I suppose) banning, but since he's been dead 75 years he's unlikely to make too much of a fuss in the Prison forum.

I did start with a relevant point, but I got distracted defending Kipling. Anyway, sod it, if I keep to it I can't move on to George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language". Copyright Law's irregularities around jurisdiction mean it's legal to read on the web if the website is from some countries (Australia, Russia and Canada) but you can only save your own copy if you are in one of those countries.

Kate Beaton made a really good cartoon about George Orwell, but I'm trying to be really good about pictures in Feedback threads and besides it's not really relevant to the originating post and much more relevant to the lack of sleep combined with a bit more than half a bottle of a rather nice Châteauneuf-du-Pape (I drunk it too young really, but I needed a treat and quickly). So just go to http://www.katebeaton.com/Site/History_Project_2_files/orwell.jpg if you're interested.

Oh look! Squirrels!

/Edit:

Oh yes. The fact that the English was bad in a way that takes more effort than good English - it is not Orwell's "packet of aspirins always at one's elbow", but quite deliberate - reflects the PI thread's OP being full of himself, and is therefore relevant (I almost wrote "not entirely irrelevant", the packet of aspirins again). Hence, there is indeed a point in attacking it.

I knew I had some point when I started this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Talliesin, your lovely.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Let's be clear about this right now - NOBODY gets preferential treatment on this forum, regardless of their status on Boards. If one of the Admins posted something deemed inappropriate for the forum there's not a single moderator here who would have any hesitation in banning them.

Have you ever tried to ban an admin? I tried banning DeV from poker once for the craic (he dared me to try) and you could certainly say it was unsuccessfuk.

5starpool wrote: »
    Have you ever tried to ban an admin? I tried banning DeV from poker once for the craic (he dared me to try) and you could certainly say it was unsuccessfuk.
    Its official: vBulletin is smarter than Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Dudess is well known for her powers of persuasion among the mod fraternity.

Once she asked another mod for the starbucks coffee he just bought and he handed it over without blinking. THEN she took another mods car without asking and he didn't call the police.

She has also been known to get the admins to switch the website off at 4am in the morning so she can go through all the threads she wants and edit and delete posts without anyone noticing.

And I heard she weighs the same as a duck. I dunno if it is true, but I heard it....

I think we should nuke her form orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What has that got to do with preferential treatment to mods in PI/fora?

Pighead has access to Prison because some people have preferential treatment in Prison, I give and take access on a whim, sometimes with good reason and sometimes without reason. It's purely preferential on my part, I am extremely biased and secretive in my ways on the Prison forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LOLz. Every 2nd or 3rd post is by a mod. And not one post about a mod conspiracy, or that mods are all agreeing to disagree by the usual fruitcakes... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I've banned more than my fair share of Mods from PI.

Tallie, I approve of your choice of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

GuanYin wrote: »
    Dudess is well known for her powers of persuasion among the mod fraternity.

Once she asked another mod for the starbucks coffee he just bought and he handed it over without blinking. THEN she took another mods car without asking and he didn't call the police.

She has also been known to get the admins to switch the website off at 4am in the morning so she can go through all the threads she wants and edit and delete posts without anyone noticing.

And I heard she weighs the same as a duck. I dunno if it is true, but I heard it....

I think we should nuke her form orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I heart this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

If one of the Admins posted something deemed inappropriate for the forum there's not a single moderator here who would have any hesitation in banning them

they could try ban an admin is all but fail iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'll throw that accusation right back at ya
    What "accusation"?
    and ask if YOU are for real. It's pretty obvious I was referring to people making fun of his writing style and nothing to do with the shower problem.
    Here is your post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58829646&postcount=59
    No, it isn't pretty obvious you were referring to people making fun of his writing style. You just said "some of the replies here". And how on earth is making fun of a person's English "racist"? Actually, looking back over the thread, there is one comment on the OP's English - and it's not even making fun, it's simply "please tell me English isn't your first language".
    And again I'm going to throw your accusation right back at ya
    ac·cu·sa·tion
    Pronunciation: \ˌa-kyə-ˈzā-shən, -(ˌ)kyü-\
    Function: noun
    Date: 14th century
    1 : the act of accusing : the state or fact of being accused
    2 : a charge of wrongdoing
    I can't say I see any evidence of the above.
    because there's no way mods of any board don't given preferential treatment to others with mod status.
    Missing the point there. You said "such and such mean thing is being done to the OP" and added the obligatory "including by a number of people with moderator status" (actually it was one moderator). What my response to you meant was: the fact they're moderators is irrelevant because they are not moderators outside of the forums they moderate.
    You see people on boards with mod status making much rattier posts to people than ordinary members would dare without risking sanctions.
    Nonsense. Several non moderators who post utter bile spring to my mind. And yeah, sure, some moderators post aggressively but it's not because they're mods. Moderators are not exempt from being banned. As a moderator, I've been temp banned from Personal Issues and indefinitely banned from The Ladies' Lounge.
    GuanYin wrote:
    And I heard she weighs the same as a duck. I dunno if it is true, but I heard it
    Incorrect. A number of posters have decided I'm obese without ever seeing me, and that makes it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Incorrect. A number of posters have decided I'm obese without ever seeing me, and that makes it true.
    So you weigh the same as a church rather than a duck then? It'll be hard to balance that on the scales next to the pond.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I've banned more than my fair share of Mods from PI.
    Aye, I remember Thaed getting banned for mocking an OP through song :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As a moderator, I've been temp banned from Personal Issues and indefinitely banned from The Ladies' Lounge.
    Fuck that. I always thought you were Mother Theresa reincarnated :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I can certainly say that mods do not get "preferantial treatment" I've been site banned and pretty much banned from 90% of all forums here for acting the tit.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You guys have *no idea* how many times I have to unbunch wadded panties and drag two (or more!) mods off each other and settle things. Easily 3-4 times a week across the site.

I do that in private though, because I dont air dirty laundry in front a baying mob, its a personal policy :)

I would LOVE if the mods were one big happy family but the truth is far from it and thats ok too. I've even been taken to task by moderators when I have stumbled in blindly and not read the forum and posted some cardinal sin of a thread. :)
    Even i'm not immune (though I do appreciate vB's anti-admin banning or I'd never see the inside of the poker forum :) )

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Anti wrote: »
    I can certainly say that mods do not get "preferantial treatment" I've been site banned and pretty much banned from 90% of all forums here for acting the tit.

Acting implies you stop at some stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement