Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preferential treatment to others with mod status

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think if someone is going to claim the things that have been said, then they should be prepared to back that up in a reasonable fashion.

I chose RM because his a critic of things here but I trust him.

I call shenanigans and its is the proof of trollery you have asked me for. If you were lying you are a troll, if not then I'm wrong and need to face that.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

DeVore wrote: »
    I think if someone is going to claim the things that have been said, then they should be prepared to back that up in a reasonable fashion.

I chose RM because his a critic of things here but I trust him.

I call shenanigans and its is the proof of trollery you have asked me for. If you were lying you are a troll, if not then I'm wrong and need to face that.

There is a general rule on boards that pm's should not be made available unless there is specific user permission. I do not have that permission so cannot make pm's available. I'm surprised that you are asking for that tbh. More double standards I suppose ;)

I can back up everything I have said ... especially the comments I have made about the way you consistently behave on this site, but unfortunately I will not make available pm's without user permission. Sorry.

You have been calling me a troll for a while now (long before my pm claims). Do you stand by that and can you back up any of those previous claims? What say the other feedback mods*? It would be a great way to get rid of me and (as you put it earlier) not have me anywhere around the site.

*Congrats Duedass!! When did you become a feedback mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Every since I started ignoring Gandalf23 my penis has grown 12 inches and I've started to find wads of money under my pillow in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Boston wrote: »
    Every since I started ignoring Gandalf23 my penis has grown 12 inches and I've started to find wads of money under my pillow in the mornings.
    Pighead congratulates you and your 13 inch penis.

Boston wrote: »

Bitter failed mod is bitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Dudess wrote: »

:eek: - it's like you got into my head and generated my thoughts!

That's paranormal for you.

Although any reason seems to be lost in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Thats fair enough.

I was referring to the BGRH thread which was the main subject of the other feedback thread. In that thread you admitted to personal abuse, and stated that you got no "special treatment" in BGRH. I call bullsh1t on that. You received no sanction for that when others would have been banned in a heartbeat. Why do you think that was? You even continued to contribute to the BGRH thread after the abuse.

That thread had nothing to with BGRH.
    AMP never frequented the BGRH forum.
    That does not link to any of DeVore's post in the BGRH forum.

As one of the BGRH mods I would have no hesitation in admonishing
    ( in appropriate manner , through the right channels, to the appropriate extent )
    DeVore or his gay hair or any admin or smod or cmod or mod if they broke the charter.

Please get your facts straight.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    That thread had nothing to with BGRH.
    AMP never frequented the BGRH forum.
    That does not link to any of DeVore's post in the BGRH forum.

Please get your facts straight.

Lol! Just lol!

That thread was ALL about dev calling someone a "cnnt" in BGRH.

This is the feedback thread ... might help if you got down off your high horse there and bothered to read the entire thread :D

This is the original BGRH thread.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before diving in head first ... you dont want to look foolish now do you?

As one of the BGRH mods I would have no hesitation in admonishing
    ( in appropriate manner , through the right channels, to the appropriate extent )
    DeVore or his gay hair or any admin or smod or cmod or mod if they broke the charter.

So what you gonna do now that an admin has broken the BGRH charter? Or are you just all bluster and no action?

Lets try this in a mature way.

Gandalf23:

1. What is your actual complaint in no more than 3 sentences?
    2. Has any of it been addressed before?
    3. What about that outcome was unsatisfactory?
    4. What outcome do you think would be satisfactory?
    5. Why have you brought it to this thread?
    6. Do you intend to accept any resolution here or will you continue to labor the point in other feedback threads?

GuanYin wrote: »
    Lets try this in a mature way.

Gandalf23:

1. What is your actual complaint in no more than 3 sentences?
    2. Has any of it been addressed before?
    3. What about that outcome was unsatisfactory?
    4. What outcome do you think would be satisfactory?
    5. Why have you brought it to this thread?
    6. Do you intend to accept any resolution here or will you continue to labor the point in other feedback threads?

Thanks for your interest GY ... much appreciated.

My first post in this thread was in response to something dev said which related to a previous feedback thread I had started. I felt it was appropriate to respond as this is an issue I am passionate about.

Funny how both dev and I have made roughly similar amounts of contributions in recent feedback threads on this topic ... do you feel the need to ask the same questions of him? Also funny how I am accused of not answering questions and supporting my point, and then in the same thread interrogated about my contribution (which I have to summarise in 3 sentences!). The double standards are shocking!

Anyway, some replies to amuse you ...

1. I have answered this above.
    2. Some of it has been very satisfactorily addressed (particularly by Seamas and I have said this very clearly in other feedback threads on similar topics).
    3. See 2 above
    4. See 2 and 3 above.
    5. That would be for others to judge.
    6. Please see below.

So in summary, I'll make as many contributions as I wish here as long as I feel I have something useful to say.

Are you satisfied with that? ... a summary in just one sentence!

• Advertisement

Gandalf23 the date on that post was 05-03-2008 11 months ago which was before I became a BGRH mod. So it didn't happen on my watch.

I shall how ever confer with BGRH mods past and present to what occurred.
    I would say that most likely this matter was already dealt with.

Did you report the post at the time or are you just looking for a stick to beat an admin with ? Once a poster has been sanctioned the matter is done unless they re offend in a similar manner in the same forum. Personally I find it comforting that the admins are human and fallible like the rest of us mere mortals.

And THAT thread you referred to was about AMP stepping down.

Thanks for your interest GY ... much appreciated.
    It isn't anything personal. I don't really care about who is right or wrong, it would just be nice to see people try and get a resolution instead of soapboxing.
    My first post in this thread was in response to something dev said which related to a previous feedback thread I had started. I felt it was appropriate to respond as this is an issue I am passionate about.
    OK, but you talked about cliques. Someone took the time to post a complaint (in the wrong forum admittedly) they wished addressed. The thread got silly quickly (I'll admit I helped), but you haven't helped your own case of there being a clique specific to mods when you, as a high profile poster on the site, feel you can jump in and hijack other people's complaint threads. Why are you above it all?

Ideally the smods would split your contribution onwards to a new thread.

Funny how both dev and I have made roughly similar amounts of contributions in recent feedback threads on this topic ... do you feel the need to ask the same questions of him? Also funny how I am accused of not answering questions and supporting my point, and then in the same thread interrogated about my contribution (which I have to summarise in 3 sentences!). The double standards are shocking!
    DeV isn't making the feedback, you are. There isn't much point in starting an issue dialogue unless you're willing to go for some sort of resolution. Giving feedback suggests some inherent desire for improvement. If you don't want resolution or improvement or are unwilling to state what that is, you're really just soapboxing and not providing feedback.
    Anyway, some replies to amuse you ...

1. I have answered this above.
    Ermm.. no you haven't. I see no complaint. I see "I felt I should answer DeV". That isn't a complaint, that is an excuse.

2. Some of it has been very satisfactorily addressed (particularly by Seamas and I have said this very clearly in other feedback threads on similar topics).
    Well if you are to continue giving feedback, maybe it may be an idea to list which ones aren't. As for other threads, well link them maybe? We don't all read your every word. You may get more support if people knew what the hell it was you were complaining about and what you want done about it.
    3. See 2 above
    4. See 2 and 3 above.

You haven't really answered anything.
    5. That would be for others to judge.
    No, only you know why you feel you have the status to derail someone else's feedback thread into your own.

If I were Dudess I'd be very upset.
    6. Please see below.

So in summary, I'll make as many contributions as I wish here as long as I feel I have something useful to say.

Are you satisfied with that? ... a summary in just one sentence!

So it is soapboxing. In short, you have a petty gripe against DeVore and you want to seem big about standing up to him?

If that is the case, you have no support from me. If you actually made a case, outlines what the problem was, addressed it in the right manner and suggested outcomes, people might see your view, they might even support you.

Instead, and I mean no disrespect, you look like the wackow with the sandwich board complaining about those god-damn commie-muslims etc etc etc.....

Make a point tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

DeVore wrote: »
    I'll stand on my record and be judged by it. All of it. <snip>

We havent chosen Yes-men* as moderators, we've chosen strong people with opinions and backbone and intelligence as much as possible.

DeV.

Your record stands you well. You are pretty clear cut and you have a gift in expressing yourself on this medium.

Don't be going on about chosing "strong" etc people for mods. Half of them just fell into it back when the site was a gaymer site. Hell if you suggested a forum you ended up a mod. Let's not pretend otherwise.

But that is the past.

Going forward you should actually have a criteria for mods. Not willing to behave yourself on forums you don't mod? Fail. You are a representitive of boards.

That may p1ss off the old skool begrudgers but sure who cares? Bar them. Replace them with people who want to help their forums and care.

There are umpteen people who love their forums and their chosen subjects who would happily help out and not bitch about it.

Gandalf23 the date on that post was 05-03-2008 11 months ago which was before I became a BGRH mod. So it didn't happen on my watch.

Accepted
    I shall how ever confer with BGRH mods past and present to what occurred.
    I would say that most likely this matter was already dealt with.

My impression was that nothing was done about this, and no infraction/ban was issued. This was confirmed by a few people on other threads. It would clear up a lot of confusion if you could confirm what sanction was taken re this post, and if none was taken why? Could you also clarify that if no action was taken, will there be anything done now.
    Did you report the post at the time or are you just looking for a stick to beat an admin with ? Once a poster has been sanctioned the matter is done unless they re offend in a similar manner in the same forum. Personally I find it comforting that the admins are human and fallible like the rest of us mere mortals.

I think I may have reported the post ... cant remember to be honest.

With respect though, thats not the issue. The issue is all about certain people being treated differently (and being immune to the rules) on this site.
    And THAT thread you referred to was about AMP stepping down.

Again with respect, the linked thread was about people being immune to the rules of boards. It turned into an 8 page discussion concerning dev and BGRH. Please read the entire thread carefully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Is it just me, or does it seem like you're hijacking this thread to re-hash your own issues from the previous threads where you didn't get your own way..because that's what it feels like.

My impression was that nothing was done about this, and no infraction/ban was issued.

Not all sanctions or warnings are public.
    This was confirmed by a few people on other threads.

Only those who are invovled ie the mods at the time and the poster who is
    in this case DeVore can comment and I am waiting for the BRGH mods past and present to get back to me on this matter.
    It would clear up a lot of confusion if you could confirm what sanction was taken re this post, and if none was taken why? Could you also clarify that if no action was taken, will there be anything done now.

If it turns out there wasn't a warning or sanction then I will confer with my
    fellow co mods and take the appropriate action.

The issue is all about certain people being treated differently (and being immune to the rules) on this site.

Well as soon as I get to the bottom of this then the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I certainly wouldn't find myself agreeing with you on much, Daithi old stock (literally), but in relation to this post, I have to agree 110%.

Boards isn't what it was ten, arguably even two years ago, and two years hence you can be sure that there will be more changes again. Nothing wrong with volatility, in fact its an opportunity to improve, and despite my propensity to moan, there are many positive changes occurring on the site all the time.

If people aren't prepared to move with it, (or even fulfil a role that they have taken on-as in trophy moderators) then let it move on without them. The beauty of this place is, no one is indispensable.

There are damn few site admins, on sites of this size, or even twenty times smaller, who would have been as prolific, honest and open minded as we have seen on this thread.

In some respects, we are fortunate indeed, and ye may frame that, 'cos I don't say it too often ;)
    Your record stands you well. You are pretty clear cut and you have a gift in expressing yourself on this medium.

Don't be going on about chosing "strong" etc people for mods. Half of them just fell into it back when the site was a gaymer site. Hell if you suggested a forum you ended up a mod. Let's not pretend otherwise.

But that is the past.

Going forward you should actually have a criteria for mods. Not willing to behave yourself on forums you don't mod? Fail. You are a representitive of boards.

That may p1ss off the old skool begrudgers but sure who cares? Bar them. Replace them with people who want to help their forums and care.

There are umpteen people who love their forums and their chosen subjects who would happily help out and not bitch about it.

... you have no support from me.

Newsflash!!! GY takes the party line in feedback thread!!!

So it is soapboxing.

You of all people lecturing me about soapboxing! Have you ever looked at your own feedabck threads (all 1,000,000 of them and counting) :D

Oh the irony ...

Newsflash!!! GY takes the party line in feedback thread!!!
    Nice selective quoting. Lets look at what I really said:
    GuanYin wrote:
    So it is soapboxing. In short, you have a petty gripe against DeVore and you want to seem big about standing up to him?

If that is the case, you have no support from me. If you actually made a case, outlines what the problem was, addressed it in the right manner and suggested outcomes, people might see your view, they might even support you.

You could have taken it as an invitation to win me over, instead you act like a child.
    You of all people lecturing me about soapboxing! Have you ever looked at your own feedabck threads (all 1,000,000 of them and counting) :D

Oh the irony ...
    I respond to complaints, when I can find them, as best I can. I answer as clear as I can, without being abusive. I find myself repeating myself alot, sure, but this is feedback, you don't often get coherent structured threads, which is why I asked if you'd like to try here.

As for irony, I suggest you look it up in the dictionary. I rarely start feedback threads (if ever) so I don't see how I can be accused of soapboxing.

Again, if you had a point, you just wasted a chance to make it in an intelligent manner.

You do realize, though, you've evaded 6 simple questions asked of you in a plain and simple manner.

Not all sanctions or warnings are public. Only those who are invovled ie the mods at the time and the poster who is
    in this case DeVore can comment and I am waiting for the BRGH mods past and present to get back to me on this matter.

If it turns out there wasn't a warning or sanction then I will confer with my
    fellow co mods and take the appropriate action.

Well as soon as I get to the bottom of this then the better.

Thank you T ... I agree this needs a resolution once and for all. And to be fair, I'm not the only one saying that (despite what some here might think).

I know this has become a big issue in both this and the other thread(s), and I dont feel I have hijacked this thread as we're still talking about the same topic. Also, I dont hear the OP complaining.

Would it be possible that we could hear the result you come to? I honestly believe that would be good for the site, and transparency is now needed with this.

• Advertisement

You could have taken it as an invitation to win me over, instead you act like a child.

Win you over! LOL!

This is not the first time you have referred to others making feedback in this patrionising way. You really do think of us as children dont you?

I rarely start feedback threads (if ever) so I don't see how I can be accused of soapboxing.

I didnt start this feedback thread and yet you accuse me of soapboxing.

And anyway, you dont need to start feedback threads ... they are usually started ABOUT you.

Again, if you had a point, you just wasted a chance to make it in an intelligent manner.

Again, why do you feel the need to be so patrionising and think you are the only one that can make an intelligent point? You really do seem to have a major superiority complex thing going on there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I dont think there is a problem with being "human" ... we are all human and make plenty of mistakes.

The problem is that you denied that calling someone a "cnnt" was personal abuse in another feedback thread thread. In that thread you said it wasnt personal abuse, then you seemed to admit it was personal abuse, then and the whole thing descended into a mess of accusations and confusion.

That is a lie.

You posted the following in that forum (and in the same thread!!!) after the personal abuse;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55312557&postcount=17

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55321966&postcount=51

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55322137&postcount=55

So, you claim to have been "taken to task by the mods" and "asked not to post for a week". You ignored the specific mod warnings and posted anyway? Was any sanction taken against you for going against a specific mod request? Or did you just ignore it like you ignored the "no personal abuse" rule in the BGRH charter?
    No one reported the post in question, I let it stand myself.

I'm not going to revisit it the best part of a year onwards just because it's been raised as some cause célèbre. That's all you're getting out of me on this.

Robbo wrote: »
    No one reported the post in question, I let it stand myself.

Why did you let it stand?

Is it now ok to call someone a "cnnt" in BGRH?

If I go over there now and do that will I be banned?

Win you over! LOL!
    Why not? I want this site to improve too. If I see an issue that I think needs addressing, I'll support it. I think most people would.

Of course, I need to know what the actual problem is. You don't seem to want to tell anyone.

Is this still about the BGRH thing because wasn't all that addressed? Weren't there other threads?
    This is not the first time you have referred to others making feedback in this patrionising way. You really do think of us as children dont you?
    No. I think some people behave like children. This is far worse. Children have the excuse of naivity and inexperience. Those behaving like children do not.
    I didnt start this feedback thread and yet you accuse me of soapboxing.
    No, you hijacked it to continue your unknown grudge against DeVore.
    And anyway, you dont need to start feedback threads ... they are usually started ABOUT you.
    Yes. I accept that. I wish it weren't so, but when they come, I don't back away from them. I answer the questions as best I can and I'm willing to stand behind them.

Were that you could say the same.

Again, why do you feel the need to be so patrionising and think you are the only one that can make an intelligent point? You really do seem to have a major superiority complex thing going on there.

No, I'm just unclear as to why people can't just say:

"Look, I have this problem. I think this is wrong. I think in future this is the answer."

Instead of dragging these things out over 5 pages making vague accusations and petty snipes.

Why won't you actually tell us your complaint and your proposed resolution? Is it a secret?

I mean you've spent more time trying to troll me than it would have taken you to answer?

Really. Why can't we I know what it actually is you're complaining about and what you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does it seem like you're hijacking this thread to re-hash your own issues from the previous threads where you didn't get your own way..because that's what it feels like.

If that was directed at me then yes. I voiced my opinions. I just had thoughts to pass on. Fail as they may be.

Like you did when you posted your picture on the site many years ago.

Small world dude! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Wow this thread is seriously disintegrating, can ye not express yourselves without being childish.
    Boards popularity has grown over the years, and yes sometimes i think mods and old timers get preferential treatment, i also believe there are "cliques" on boards but thats the way it's always been.
    I hope this thread is the start of many changes to come.

I have been told the mods at the time took what they considered the appropriate action and I consider the matter closed tbh.

Given boards is over 10 years old and has changed so much even in the last 6 monhts and will change even more in the 6 months to come it is easy to be a pendant and go back and root around for examples after the goal posts have been shifted and try cry foul.

It's pretty pointless tbh and that all I have to say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Of course, I need to know what the actual problem is. You don't seem to want to tell anyone.

This
    Why won't you actually tell us your complaint and your proposed resolution? Is it a secret?

This
    Really. Why can't we I know what it actually is you're complaining about and what you want?

This

What exactly is the problem here ?

Is it a post made over a year ago ? I've read this whole thread, with an open mind, and now my brain hurts.

I have been told the mods at the time took what they considered the appropriate action and I consider the matter closed tbh.

Could I ask what "the appropriate action" was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thank you T ... I agree this needs a resolution once and for all. And to be fair, I'm not the only one saying that (despite what some here might think).

It was 11 months ago and nobody gave it a second thought for most of that time until you brought it up recently as part of your crusade. It doesn't need resolution, it was forgotten about, so please just let it go.
    I know this has become a big issue in both this and the other thread(s), and I dont feel I have hijacked this thread as we're still talking about the same topic. Also, I dont hear the OP complaining.

It's only become a big issue because you've made it one. As I said, most people were blissfully unaware of it, and tbh couldn't care less. As for hijacking this thread, you most certainly have. The only reason the OP isn't complaining is because they were an unregistered poster in PI, from which the first couple of posts in this thread were moved to here as it was taking the original thread off-topic.

Now before anyone jumps on me and says I'm being inconsistent with my initial remarks on this thread that an Admin should be sanctioned if they break the rules, while at the same time telling Gandalf23 to forget about his particular issue, I want to clarify my position. My initial comment was made when that post was still in PI, and it specifically related to PI. I could as easily have said SMod as I did Admin in my post (and we wouldn't have all this BGRH nonsense being dragged up again if I had), but I said that to illustrate my point, which was that PI must maintain its integrity if it is to retain the confidence of Boards' posters that they'll get proper advice there. If it meant banning an Admin to maintain that integrity then the PI mods would do so without question (notwithstanding any vB technical issues that actually don't permit it). Basically PI mods don't play favourites just because someone's a mod, which is what the poster was suggesting happens on Boards in general. I was just setting him straight as regards that one forum. What goes on in other forums and how the mods of those forums deal with such an issue is entirely up to them, and I would not be so presumptuous as to tell them how to do their job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement