Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband connectionModem?? problem

• 01-02-2009 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a zyxel broadband modem which i got off esat bt about 2 years ago when i first got broadband. Over the past 3 or 4 weeks I have been experiencing something weird happening. Lets just say im happily merrily surfing the web, and lets say i enter some address, my connection just halts as no webpage is loaded. If i go to www.google.ie, it loads that. If i click on "images", "books", "news", etc on the google website, it loads those webpages perfectly which would imply to me that I have internet connetivity.(i previously cleared all my cookies, etc.. so its not loading offline content). However, if i try go to www.skysports.com or any other website, the webpages arent loading.
    Is this a problem with my modem or is there something more to this?

thanks

dan.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

djt0607 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a zyxel broadband modem which i got off esat bt about 2 years ago when i first got broadband. Over the past 3 or 4 weeks I have been experiencing something weird happening. Lets just say im happily merrily surfing the web, and lets say i enter some address, my connection just halts as no webpage is loaded. If i go to www.google.ie, it loads that. If i click on "images", "books", "news", etc on the google website, it loads those webpages perfectly which would imply to me that I have internet connetivity.(i previously cleared all my cookies, etc.. so its not loading offline content). However, if i try go to www.skysports.com or any other website, the webpages arent loading.
    Is this a problem with my modem or is there something more to this?

thanks

dan.

When it fails to load a page, is there any error message? Can you ping skysports.com?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I used a Zytel for the last 2 years and no problem.
    Check all connections .........even cobwebs can interrupt your signal .

Could you do a test using ......tools - diagnose connection problems etc .......
    Maybe a RAM upgrade may help .

I also suggest you call :
    1890 923 111 or visit www.btireland.ie/help

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

thanks for your replies. my connection is grand - no cobwebs lol. i cann ping skysports, but i get no reply. Even though i have already got 3gb of ram in my system, i can tell you that the ram has absolutely ntohing to do with a webpage loading...unless you have a really low amount of ram in your system )eg 16mb or something like that). and even at that, the webpage would eventually load, it would just take quite a long time as there would be an awful lot of page swapping going on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

djt0607 wrote: »
    thanks for your replies. my connection is grand - no cobwebs lol. i cann ping skysports, but i get no reply. Even though i have already got 3gb of ram in my system, i can tell you that the ram has absolutely ntohing to do with a webpage loading...unless you have a really low amount of ram in your system )eg 16mb or something like that). and even at that, the webpage would eventually load, it would just take quite a long time as there would be an awful lot of page swapping going on.

Try switch to the opendns DNS servers briefly and see if makes a difference.

Advertisement