Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara O'Briain

• 01-02-2009 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Was watching his new dvd last night and was delighted at some of his rants/sketches in the show.
    He tells the audience directly that he is an atheist and then has a go at pseudo science, psychics,astrologers,homeopathy etc..
    Especially liked his line that science knows it doesn't know everything otherwise it would stop!
    Words of wisdom for all those who like to insert their own religious or psycho babble into the gaps of human knowledge.

Well done Dara, you might get some more people thinking for themselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

All hail the discipline of thinking for oneself, wherever it may lead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Húrin wrote: »
    All hail the discipline of thinking for oneself, wherever it may lead!

From a Christian? Touche!

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hmmm maybe best not to post pissed after 1am ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

thought his bit on that tv ****e docter was poor, he just oh she's stupid ah isn't tarot card reading stupid :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Come again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I think it translates as:
    I thought his bit on that TV ****e doctor <presumably some TV show> was poor. He just said things like 'Oh, she's stupid', 'Ah, isn't tarot card reading stupid', etc. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I loved that whole section.
    The Chinese have the same word for crisis as they do opportunity, yeah well they also have teh same word for China and Tibet... CHINA!

I particularly liked his bit on 'balanced' news reporting and teh man who believes the sky is a big carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

pH wrote: »
    From a Christian? Touche!

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hmmm maybe best not to post pissed after 1am ?

It's OK, we've all been there. Careful not to delete your posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

dalkener wrote: »
    Was watching his new dvd last night and was delighted at some of his rants/sketches in the show.
    He tells the audience directly that he is an atheist and then has a go at pseudo science, psychics,astrologers,homeopathy etc..
    Especially liked his line that science knows it doesn't know everything otherwise it would stop!
    Words of wisdom for all those who like to insert their own religious or psycho babble into the gaps of human knowledge.

Well done Dara, you might get some more people thinking for themselves.

He really does adjust his show based on region though which is a shame.
    I was at the Dublin gig when it was recorded and he goes much easier on the Atheist stuff than he does in the UK recording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Zamboni wrote: »
    He really does adjust his show based on region though which is a shame.
    I was at the Dublin gig when it was recorded and he goes much easier on the Atheist stuff than he does in the UK recording.
    Really? I saw him in Vicar street and was delighted to hear him openly say he was an atheist. He almost got a boo though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

failsafe wrote: »
    Really? I saw him in Vicar street and was delighted to hear him openly say he was an atheist. He almost got a boo though!

What does an almost boo sound like then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Eddie Izzard on last Friday's Jonathon Ross mentioned that he doesn't believe in a god. He actually mentioned it a few times although nobody prompted the point.

B-!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

LOL, I was asking myself that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

"Bo-Erns"

(obscure Simpsons reference, apologies)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wicknight wrote: »
    "Bo-Erns"
    Boo-urns, surely?

Thought about it - rejected it because of obscurity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Someone probably took a deep breath, clasped their hands aound their mouth like a funnel, then decided not to at the last second :pac:

An almost-boo might just be piercing looks of disapproval, shame and absolute hate. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

An almost-boo might just be piercing looks of disapproval, shame and absolute hate. Maybe.

You sound like someone who speaks from experience...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Dades wrote: »
    Eddie Izzard on last Friday's Jonathon Ross mentioned that he doesn't believe in a god. He actually mentioned it a few times although nobody prompted the point.
    He is a rampant athiest. Have a look for his evolution / creationism act on the Secret Policeman's ball a couple of year ago. Classic.

Dara O'Briain has a degree in physics and seems fairly switched on. Prime atheist material.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

these are the guys that did the atheist christmas show, and jimmy carr has been mentioning it too

• Advertisement

these are the guys that did the atheist christmas show, and jimmy carr has been mentioning it too

Huh? Who? O'Briain and Izzard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

There's an atheist Christmas show? :eek: I want one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I don't know what it sounds like, but it looks like a big thought-bubble with nothing inside.

I like Dara, he's like what Tommy Tiernan could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I like Dara, he's like what Tommy Tiernan could have been.

Didnt he speak out against Tommy on the whole Maddie joke thing? I'm pretty sure I read that in the star so I cant say its true fo sho.

Advertisement