Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pls help! Going crazy

Options
  • 01-02-2009 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'll sum this up as best as I can.

I'm connecting to my eircom netopia bband in an office underneath me. As I was getting pretty much zero signal, I bought a Belkin range extender.
    It worked to an certain extent by improving signal but the software doesn't speak with the Netopia router...no big deal, it helped improve the signal.

I'm using a Belkin G USB wireless USB adapter(F5D7051) upstairs, and according to the Wireless monitor software, theres an avg of an 80% signal. But my internet connection was just awful. So I purchased a Belkin N1+ USB Adapter(F5D8051). The N1 adapter hasnt even picked up the network, even though it's supposed to be stronger.

My last hope was a belkin router I had that I figured I'd swap with the Netopia...no joy, after reconfiguring, I couldn't even establish a web connection. My head is melted. Any advice?
    :(:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

When you hooked up the belkin router did you log in (192.168.0.1) and change the settings , "eircom xxxx xxxx" and wep key for your netopia router, thats not the same as your eircom username and password. also is the router an older one that doesnt support n might have to change device settings, to enable all network types say the first part is the problem though. good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

that might all be wrong i after thinking for a minute would swap routers using the belkin use an ethernet cable and plugg dirctly into your router and change the settings

on my router i have to put in a username and password default ones for your router can be found only if you havent changed them problably admin.....and password or blank

then once inside the router 192.168.0.1 i have to put basic settings in for broadband always on ppoe and a username and password so bt knows its me

if i sound like an expert stop and get someone that know this might just be enough info to get you in trouble good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

I would have thought that an N1 adapter would only look for N1 networks, unless it specifically states tha it is backwards compatible.

If it is backwards compatible with B/G networks then it is most likely a Windows zero configuration problem. Vendors normally equip their cards with wireless management software that conflicts with windows. You can try looking for anything to do with Belkin in the startup tab of msconfig and disabling this. Follow instructions below to do this.

Click on the Start button and click run.
    Type msconfig and hit enter.
    On the Startup tab look for anything to do with Belkin and disable it by unchecking the box.
    Restart computer and look for the wireless network again.

ou could also try turning off Windows zero configuration by opening services and stopping that service. Make sure to start it again though after youve finished troubleshooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Diver79 wrote: »
    I would have thought that an N1 adapter would only look for N1 networks, unless it specifically states tha it is backwards compatible.

If it is backwards compatible with B/G networks then it is most likely a Windows zero configuration problem. Vendors normally equip their cards with wireless management software that conflicts with windows. You can try looking for anything to do with Belkin in the startup tab of msconfig and disabling this. Follow instructions below to do this.

Click on the Start button and click run.
    Type msconfig and hit enter.
    On the Startup tab look for anything to do with Belkin and disable it by unchecking the box.
    Restart computer and look for the wireless network again.

ou could also try turning off Windows zero configuration by opening services and stopping that service. Make sure to start it again though after youve finished troubleshooting.
    Cheers diver I'll try that.

Theres nothing that states that it doesn't actually work with G networks. It just says on the back the usual "for best results use with N1" etc.

Cheers!

Advertisement