Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a quick answer on this. Painted stairs white steps etc

Options
  • 01-02-2009 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just finished the second coat on my stairs. It is International polar gritted floor paint.

Now I am just wondering. I want to put 2 layers of clear varnish over this to make it hard waring and also easy to clean.
    The guy in B&Q told me to get the gritted paint as it would stop anyone slipping on the stairs. I am worried though that it will get filthy dirty and be difficult to keep clean.

Should paint over it again with non grit paint or should the clear varnish help or should i be worried at all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Psygnosis

First of all check instructions on paint tin , see what is recommended.There should manufacturing instructions on tin. Be very careful with varnishes because depending on their manufacture they could react with gritted paint. I have come across varnished used on different occasions where the chemical make up actually bubbled and thw whole job had to sanded and re decorated.
    Its possible the clear varnish could react the same way. Some products are water based and other are chemical pounded. Try and leave what you have already done and see how it works out, if your not happy try another coat on it. I think it's a case of trial and error unfortunately.
    Heatherview

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

leave its as is ease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Update

I put a second coat over it on Thursday night and slept down stairs as I was away for the weekend. Came home yesterday the floor looks fantastic BUT the paint is still not 100% dry. In places the paint is quite thick (my fault I put it on thick) and if I put pressure on it the skin on the paint can tear. Will this dry out eventually. I have rustins acryllic floor varnish to put over it but will hold off.

Will the paint eventually harden. I am half thinking of getting a hair dryer and drying that way. What do you people think.

Advertisement