Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID Options

Options
  • 01-02-2009 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

I'm kind of asking a very general question and expecting to find that there is no simple answer but it's an area I don't know much about so I'll ask just in case.

I'm gradually accumulating hard drives from old computers and external disks which are around 100 - 500 GB in size and mostly SATA and I'm wondering if there is any simple way to attach them to an old laptop as a software RAID controller.

I'm guessing it could probably be done by connecting them up via usb but I'm wondering if there are any other options.

The laptop almost certainly doesn't have any fancy on-board raid hardware and it seems like buying any sort of external raid controller would be absurdly expensive so I'm guessing directly attaching the disks to the laptop is out.

The impetus for the investigation is that I'm running out of space and manually keeping two copies of data on separate disks is a pain in the arse, especially if they are different sizes(each successive one I buy is inevitably the biggest).

Tbh I was kind of expecting there to be something like a USB hub for SATA or ATA but I suppose there is a lot more processing required for RAID.

Advertisement