Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insert Witty Title Here...

Options
  • 01-02-2009 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Going to give one of these logs a try...

Bit of background. I'm 23, 5'6 and between 155 and 160 lbs at the moment. BMI of around 26. Over the past three weeks have lost 5lbs through a healthy diet and a bit more exercise. Aiming to bring that up to a stone by mid-March.

Can't afford a gym membership so trying to increase my exercise through various workout DVDs. Plan is to begin running in around March or so when I've brought my base fitness level up and the weather has improved a bit.

Exercise for the past few days... Well, I was away until Thursday so only getting back into it now.

Bought a Tae-bo fitness DVD during the week. Yesterday (Thursday) did the introduction section which taught the basic moves. Today, did the Basic workout which lasted about half an hour and had me sweating and panting by the end of it. It felt fantastic!

Working tomorrow, so can't fit anything in, although I'll probably work out a bit with some light weights. Planning on getting up on Monday morning before college and doing Tae-bo again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Using 1kg weights, did 2 sets of 20 of the following: Front Press, Military Press, Tricep kickbacks, Bent over row (reverse grip).

Using 1.5kg weights, did 2 sets of 20 of Bicep Curls.

The weights are really light, but as I'm so new to this, I do feel like I'm getting a good workout. I can feel it in my muscles by the end of each set. I'm going to stay with these until they start feeling too easy.

Half an hour of Tae-Bo again today and did half an hour on Monday as well. Nothing yesterday. *smacks self on wrist*

Scheduled to weigh myself tomorrow. I'm interested, if slightly nervous, to see how much I've lost. I've definitely worked out more this week than in the previous weeks, so I'm wondering if that will have made an effect on the scales.

On the plus side, I can feel that the muscles in my arms and legs and stomach are much more defined than they were. One of my favourite tops also looks a lot better on me than it did a couple of months ago so I'm noticing the difference in other places than the scales.

Weighed myself. Down to 157lbs, which is only two less than two weeks ago. Making a total loss of 7lbs in four weeks. I feel like I've hit a milestone. My first half stone is gone.

It's definitely strengthened my resolve.

Went to the gym this morning as a guest of someone else, so won't be a regular thing unfortunately.

Spent about 26 minutes on the threadmill. 5 minutes warmup, 5 minutes cooldown and alternated running for 2 minutes and walking for 2 minutes for the rest of the time.

First time I've ran in years and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I was more out of shape than I was. Weather permitting, I think I'll start following a beginners running plan next week. I'd like to be able to run the Women's Mini Marathon in June which is 10k. That gives me four months.

Also spent ten minutes on the crosstrainer, and did 2 reps of 15 on some of the machines. I prefer using free weights though so I'll prob use my own later today.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No input apart from to say well done, brill start. :) Keep going!!

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    No input apart from to say well done, brill start. :) Keep going!!

Thanks! :D The encouragement is really appreciated!

Did Day 1 of the Couch to 5k plan this morning. Have to say that running outside is a lot more difficult than running on a treadmill! Enjoyable though, and I'd say it will improve my fitness levels much more.

marie_85 wrote: »
    Did Day 1 of the Couch to 5k plan this morning. Have to say that running outside is a lot more difficult than running on a treadmill! Enjoyable though, and I'd say it will improve my fitness levels much more.
    It will become easier (than the tm) in time. It just takes time to adapt to your pace and breathing outdoors. In a few runs youll begin to see. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

7lbs in 4 weeks id be well happy with that!!

Back in my days of being able to run..well before i started lifting stuff instead.. i did most of my running outside in cork..once the weather improves you will love it...good luck with the couch to 5k!

Oryx wrote: »
    It will become easier (than the tm) in time. It just takes time to adapt to your pace and breathing outdoors. In a few runs youll begin to see. :)
    Back in my days of being able to run..well before i started lifting stuff instead.. i did most of my running outside in cork..once the weather improves you will love it...good luck with the couch to 5k!

That's something I didn't consider. When the weather improves, I'll have more stamina to enjoy it! :)

Weighed myself this morning... down another 2lbs. That's 9lbs now in total over five weeks. I'm literally just a fraction over a healthy BMI, which is what prompted me to get fit in the first place and I'm actually amazed at how easy this has been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

That's something I didn't consider. When the weather improves, I'll have more stamina to enjoy it! :)

Weighed myself this morning... down another 2lbs. That's 9lbs now in total over five weeks. I'm literally just a fraction over a healthy BMI, which is what prompted me to get fit in the first place and I'm actually amazed at how easy this has been.

You should post that on the Lipotrim thread!

celestial wrote: »
    You should post that on the Lipotrim thread!

Yeah, not a bad idea! Too wary to reignite the debate at the moment as it seems to have died down, but as soon as the next person starts it up again, I will...

Day 2 of the C25K programme this morning.

Also did 30 minutes of Tae-Bo yesterday. Felt absolutely fantastic after it - I was literally smiling for about an hour afterwards. I think it's the first time I've really understood the 'endorphins-through-exercise' thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Yeah, not a bad idea! Too wary to reignite the debate at the moment as it seems to have died down, but as soon as the next person starts it up again, I will...

Day 2 of the C25K programme this morning.

Also did 30 minutes of Tae-Bo yesterday. Felt absolutely fantastic after it - I was literally smiling for about an hour afterwards. I think it's the first time I've really understood the 'endorphins-through-exercise' thing.

c25k...that scared the crap out of me as i read it as couch to 25k:D

c25k...that scared the crap out of me as i read it as couch to 25k:D

Heh! I'm ambitious, not insane! :D

Wk 1, Day 3 of C25K this morning. So hard getting out of bed, but I'm so glad I did now.

Nothing yesterday. Well, apart from walking to and from work. I like that I'm now considering walking four miles to be 'nothing'. :)

Week 2, Day 1 of C25K today. I'd planned on not running, as you're supposed to give yourself a rest day between runs but it was so nice outside, I couldn't resist.

I didn't find the transition to Week 2 too difficult at all. By the end of the last running interval, I was definitely feeling it, but in a good way, if that makes sense.

Definitely going to rest tomorrow now.

Wk 2, Day 2 of C25k earlier.

On my planned 'rest day' yesterday, ended up walking for about two hours. So tomorrow is definitely going to be a complete rest day.

Another 2lbs gone! I'm only 3lbs off the original goal weight I set myself, which was to be 150lbs by mid-March. At this rate, I should reach it in another week and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well done on your journey so far.

Back in 2005 i was very heavy like 16stone. In a way your journey reminds me of what i went through. I begin walking, then running, sometimes the gym if i got a chance - mostly stuff outside. Now today I am a qualified studio fitness instructor at 10st 6 lbs. Im the person I always wanted to be and doing something i love. The face that you have this fantastic and amazing attitiute leaves me with no doubt that you will achieve your goal. I mean your practically there already!

Remember though eat right. It is very easy think that you are actually eating healthy when in fact you are not. That is not to say you aren't! A book i find invaluble to anybody interested in fotness/nutrition from novice to expert is fitness for dummies- some great stuff in there.

Keep it up. Your a role model to those that think it cant be done. It can you just need to get of your as*!!

Keep it up-il be reading.

Thank you so much! They are some really lovely comments to receive! It's comments like that and hearing stories like yours that are really encouraging me to keep motivated.

And thank you for the note of caution as well. I'm reasonably confident that my diet is ok, but I probably should post it up, just to be on the safe side.

Breakfast is typically porridge with sultanas or honey, muesli, or Oatibix with a banana sliced in. I'd usually have a glass of orange juice as well, and a cup of white tea if I've time.

Lunch would typically be soup.

Dinner is usually chicken or egg based. So maybe an omelette, or a chicken and veg stir fry with brown rice.

I snack a lot. But snacks would be fruit and yoghurt or else a handful of nuts. I make an effort every day to eat five portions of fruit or veg, probably more fruit than veg most days and I make an effort to make sure my main meal of the day contains a lot of protein as well.

I drink a lot of water, and apart from the very occasional cup of coffee, would also have a couple of cups of white tea every day as well.

I very rarely feel hungry, although my appetite has definitely increased over the past two weeks, and I've started allowing myself the odd treat over the past week or so.

Oh, and as I'm not a huge eater of red meat, I take an iron supplement, along with cod liver oil capsules.

Last day of Wk 2 of C25k this morning. Also found a short core workout online, so did that as well today. Going to do something relatively low-impact over the next two days and start Wk 3 of C25k on Monday.

• Advertisement

Week 3, Day 1 of C25K today. Had given myself three days off from running, as my shins had begun to hurt and it turned out to be the right thing to do. They were fine today. Again, had been a bit worried about the transition to the next week. Was absolutely fine though. Even found myself, god forbid, enjoying the longer running intervals.

Did nothing yesterday, but did half an hour of yoga on Saturday and half an hour of Tae-Bo on Sunday.

Down another 2lbs! One more and I'll have lost a stone. I can't believe how easy this has been. I wish I'd done it years ago.

Ankle started to hurt after Tuesday's run, so taking today to rest as well. Got myself proper runners today, so hopefully that will keep me from further injuries. Plan is to run tomorrow and Sunday, and start Week 4 on Tuesday. It's a pain in the ass. I don't mind being injured as such, it's the fact that I've to give myself extra days off to recover which is annoying. I want to be out there trying out my new runners right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hey, congratulations on the weightloss!! Keep up the good work! :)

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Hey, congratulations on the weightloss!! Keep up the good work! :)

Thank you! :D

I'm actually pretty giddy over it! I've a new favourite hobby - trying on the clothes that I'd gotten too big to wear. There's stuff I haven't been able to wear in over two years that now fit perfectly. :D:D:D

Youre making it look too easy.:p

Youre doing the right thing with your ankles and shins, no point running on something that hurts, youre just getting into this, give it time. Your body's just getting used to it, and youll find the aches youre getting will become less the further along you get. I ended up out of action for 6 weeks when I started, with a dodgy ankle, cos I didnt rest it when I should have.

Advertisement