Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did any countrys escape the recession?

Options
  • 01-02-2009 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

i know the recession seem world wide but did any countys escape it or not get burned too badly by it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 yidkid

Nederlands? 2.6% unemployment, expected to reach 5% but a good bit below rest of EU.

I think us and Spain will be worst affected in terms of unemployment, perhaps Greece too?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't think that North Korea has been much affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Switzerland hasn't been gutted....yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Unemployment in NZ might...and I say might reach 7% but should go down after that. I dont think any country is unaffected but there are those that are rightly ****ed i.e Iceland Ireland, even China! There are those countrys that will ride it out. OZ, NZ, Brazil, Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I heard the acronym PIIGS being used on the news last week to refer to the weaker peripheral countries of the EU that are getting hit the worst.

PIIGS stands for Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

A colleague returned to Poland to see family/friends for a week. I asked here if there was much talk of a recession at home and she said it was non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    A colleague returned to Poland to see family/friends for a week. I asked here if there was much talk of a recession at home and she said it was non-existent.

but isnt Poland a not too well of country anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Kinetic^ wrote: »

I guess it depends on the amount of debt that the country has got and whether there was a property bubble. Poland was probably prudent? I read that Russia is heading for recession and there has been a fair bit of unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I guess it depends on the amount of debt that the country has got and whether there was a property bubble. Poland was probably prudent? I read that Russia is heading for recession and there has been a fair bit of unrest.

Russia? and someone else mentioned China? So it hit the Communist Countrys too? Or is Russia Capitalist now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Israel largley escaped but not without a few job losses when I seen the figures and tought of here the total unemployed there is like a days losses here so nothing to really complain about. tourism is on the up there which is a major boost are the government here still selling Ireland overseas or do they want everyone they got to come back to feck off where they came from now that we messed it up.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bob Z wrote: »
    Russia? and someone else mentioned China? So it hit the Communist Countrys too? Or is Russia Capitalist now?

Yes Russia is no longer communist but yet everything still is owned and run by a connected few.

China is reliant on western consumer spending and when that is affected then they also feel the cold.

For some countries the onset of world recession doesn't make much of a difference e.g Nth Korea, Zimbabwe, Iraq.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    Israel largley escaped but not without a few job losses when I seen the figures and tought of here the total unemployed there is like a days losses here so nothing to really complain about. tourism is on the up there which is a major boost are the government here still selling Ireland overseas or do they want everyone they got to come back to feck off where they came from now that we messed it up.?

Are they the ones tunnelling out of Gaza?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Bob Z wrote: »

Resembles a fascist dicatatorship more like:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are they the ones tunnelling out of Gaza?

as a show of good taste ive decided to not reply about Gaza and there boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

Well, a developed economy will suffer to a large degree. As Ireland was the rich's country within the eu for 2008....so no really poor country will suffer much :p

Advertisement