Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

madness

Options
  • 01-02-2009 4:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

MEXICAN woman who graduated from the University of Limerick last week has spoken out against the racist abuse she has suffered in the city.
    Laura Munoz Enriquez, 26, who has since moved to Finland, described how she was called "a negro" on campus.

Ms Enriquez said she and her family, including her 60-year-old father, had dinner in the city that evening, but on the way back to their hotel a group of local men roared at her "go back to your country".

"When they walked beside my father, they pulled his hat and laughed at him, having no respect at all to older people," said Ms Enriquez, who has since moved to Finland.

She said on another occasion at the university she was abused while having difficulty withdrawing cash from an ATM.

"Two Irish men behind me said "f***ing negro, they don't even know how to use an ATM."

Previously, she said she was walking home from the campus to one of the student accommodation villages, Plassey Village, with a Spanish girl when they had eggs thrown at them.

These issues were not brought to the attention of the university or the gardai, she said. However, she did discuss these incidents with her flatmates at the time, none of whom are Irish, and they too experienced similar incidents.

Earlier on the day of her graduation, her family decided to spend the afternoon in Waterford, where she claimed local men attempted to assault her brother near the toilets in a shopping centre.

"My brother managed to get out of the toilet by kicking one of them in the legs. Then they came out of the toilets and started to shout that my brother was a drug seller," she said.

She said these incidents have led her to believe that the economic growth Ireland has experienced in the past has not educated Irish people. Instead, she feels it has led to a feeling of superiority and a "right to offend and insult anyone that is not Irish".

Ethnic liaison gardai in the city said there has been no substantial increase in the number of complaints regarding racism made to the gardai.

Does anyone really not believe this, or at least think its been widely exaggerated?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Mexicans-racial-abuse-in-Limerick.4928444.jp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Im not sure...what do you think OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Why are you surprised or believe it is exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think its exaggerated! Waaaay over the top!

Why didnt she go to the Gardai or the University about? Dumb broad!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't think I've ever heard an Irish person say the word "negro". Even the big N word is fairly uncommon over here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Yea overexaggeration. I believe the eggs part but sure i've had eggs thrown randomly at me from cars too. although I am quite tanned I don't think this was racism haha. I'd say there are a few racists in Ireland. even a lot. But I don't think they would actually go that far. I think they play around with it and try to make it funny (which is bad too), but I seriously don't think there would be any attacks or people calling people N****s at an ATM machine.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think Irish people try and see the funny side to it, i dont think they would mean any harm in it. If that girl knew those lads, she would probably see they were only joking!

I am also an Egg Attack Victim! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah I think Irish people try and see the funny side to it, i dont think they would mean any harm in it. If that girl knew those lads, she would probably see they were only joking!

Sure I might say, come on you nignog cross the road, when they are sauntering across the road while I am driving, but there isnt any malice or hate in it!!! Same as saying come on you old biddy, drive faster, if there is an old person driving at a snails pace in front of ya!

I am also an Egg Attack Victim! :(

Calling someone a biddy and calling somone a nignog are in no way shape or form the same thing, joking or not its a racist comment, i'm sure if black people started refering to you as a paddy or spud farmer you wouldnt be long shouting about how racist they all are

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

First up she ain't black. I read this article and I thought it was greatly exaggerrated to be honest, that's not to say this stuff doesn't go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

*Sigh

She was treated differently because she was different.

Arent we all treated differently when presumed different?

Read the "Do Limerick people hate dublin people thread"

Here is a crazy example for you that went to solicitors. Barratts cruises St there was a girl working there from China.

Another chinese woman came in looking for shoe's and asked for a certain size. Chinese girl(staff) goes up and gets shoes and brings them back down. Chinese customer tries them on and they are a bit tight. She tells the girl they are too tight around the sides. Chinese staff member says that she will get a bigger size at which point the chinese customer walks out of the shop in a strop. :confused::confused:

A formal letter from a solicitors arrives in the door stating that the customer believes she was racially discriminated against because she was from a chinese island and people from mainland china always racially discriminate against islanders.

* cue management going WTF - This actually exists

@sparksrovers

Using terms like that and not seeing any harm in it is what is known as institutional racism. It is still racism, and is just as disgusting, however that is what it is ,

• Advertisement

Hmm maybe! But sure we all laugh it off anyway! I dont mean in it and hate way. I dont like people say it in a threatening tone of voice!

Comedians get away with it the whole time! But noted for future postings ;)

Berty wrote: »
    *Sigh

She was treated differently because she was different.

Arent we all treated differently when presumed different?

Read the "Do Limerick people hate dublin people thread"

Here is a crazy example for you that went to solicitors. Barratts cruises St there was a girl working there from China.

Another chinese woman came in looking for shoe's and asked for a certain size. Chinese girl(staff) goes up and gets shoes and brings them back down. Chinese customer tries them on and they are a bit tight. She tells the girl they are too tight around the sides. Chinese staff member says that she will get a bigger size at which point the chinese customer walks out of the shop in a strop. :confused::confused:

A formal letter from a solicitors arrives in the door stating that the customer believes she was racially discriminated against because she was from a chinese island and people from mainland china always racially discriminate against islanders.

* cue management going WTF - This actually exists

It's kind analogous to the owner of an Irish pub in New York refusing to serve a traveller isn't it

krudler wrote: »
    Calling someone a biddy and calling somone a nignog are in no way shape or form the same thing, joking or not its a racist comment, i'm sure if black people started refering to you as a paddy or spud farmer you wouldnt be long shouting about how racist they all are

Ah come on now, we'd hardly say anything back, sure we know who we are! Its all about the banter, was saying it to dark skinned man up in my local and he laughed it off and slagged me back!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hmm maybe! But sure we all laugh it off anyway! I dont mean in it and hate way. I dont like people say it in a threatening tone of voice!

Comedians get away with it the whole time! But noted for future postings ;)

What comedians? please dont say Chubby Brown because if you find anything that ignorant fool says funny you're a small minded cretin

A lot of comedians, including chubby, and bernard manning :D

Previously, she said she was walking home from the campus to one of the student accommodation villages, Plassey Village, with a Spanish girl when they had eggs thrown at them.

These issues were not brought to the attention of the university or the gardai, she said. However, she did discuss these incidents with her flatmates at the time, none of whom are Irish, and they too experienced similar incidents.

Earlier on the day of her graduation, her family decided to spend the afternoon in Waterford, where she claimed local men attempted to assault her brother near the toilets in a shopping centre.

"My brother managed to get out of the toilet by kicking one of them in the legs. Then they came out of the toilets and started to shout that my brother was a drug seller," she said.

Hardly racist attacks,eggings and assaults are fairly common in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Well in fairness the ATM story is definetly racist. but thats all. none of us know if the brother in the toilet incident was racial or just madness so we can't comment on that. the rest is common enough to all of us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

I am a non national myself in the university, with 90% irish around, even at work, but never ever felt they are being racist. In fact they all treat me the exactly same way as they would to an irish. Only thing annoys me in limerick is those scumbags, they once told like go back to your own country, but sure they are sumbags, they would even misbehave with irish. But irish are not at all racist, this is my openion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

TheLoc wrote: »
    Well in fairness the ATM story is definetly racist. but thats all. none of us know if the brother in the toilet incident was racial or just madness so we can't comment on that. the rest is common enough to all of us though.

It's not racism lads, it's ethnic criticism.

Advertisement