Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweeping

• 01-02-2009 4:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm not that into metal but want to get better at sweeping
    I've done the basics (open c shape M/m)
    Could anyone suggest some more advance exercises or some links -practical or boring as you like

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

theres not really any trick for it apart from relentless boring overpracticing of the technique!

jsut try and get as many patterns and shapes down, figure out what your playing and how they work why they work

then move onto more advanced patterns and shapes, ...frank gambale is ridiculously good at it... flawless

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=WH8EbI89xgE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Practise slowly to gain accuracy while maintaining the 'sweeping' action - try not to 'dig' just because you are going slow. Once you have it down, it's a skill you'll have to keep practising, as it's easy to lose it if it's not something you find yourself using often.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 leon45

I was just hoping you could suggest some pattern
    I can't copy what i hear - cos i don't listen to metal
    (I'm not having problems with technique)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Start off with 3 string arpeggios and then move upwards. There are plenty of patterns on the net just look for them. heres some http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/sweep-picking/index.php Also use a metronome.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

what i do, practice with a metronome at a seriously slow speed for about 7 days every day for about 30-40 minutes. just repeat the same sweep and whatever you do DO NOT play fast.

lock your wrist and "rake" your pick across the strings trying to keep the pick as flat as possible in-line with the strings.

after the seven days grab your metronome and kick it up about 5 bpm and try sweeping again a few times, keep bringing up the speed until you get sloppy. when you reach your sloppy point roll back the bpm and practice for another week at the new metronome speed. then repeat the process.

worked perfect for me but i got a bit lazy from sweeping so i have to work on it again.

do not skip any notes, play them clear and defined and concentrate on what you doing. its called "muscle memory" your trying to teach your hands to work together in a specific way when you put them into a specific position.

use this technique for other things as well like string skipping, shred licks, legato, tapping and triplet styled picking. it will not fail you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Any particulary good sweeps you want to share with us?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

E||
    13h-17-22p-17p-13
    ||
    B||
    ||
    G||--14
    14----||
    D||
    ||
    A||
    ||
    E||
    ||

E||
    10-14-10
    ||
    B||
    ||
    G||
    11----||
    D||--12
    12-||
    A||
    ||
    E||
    ||

E||
    9-12-9
    ||
    B||
    ||
    G||
    ||
    D||
    ||
    A||----12
    ||
    E||--9
    9---||

E||
    10-14-10
    10-14-10
    ||
    B||
    ||
    G||
    ||
    D||
    ||
    A||--14
    14-14
    14---||
    E||
    ||

"legato part below"
    >|
    _______________________V

E||
    14-19-17-16-14-16
    ||
    B||
    ||
    G||
    ||
    D||
    ||
    A||----14
    ||
    E||-16
    ||

These are just some i went off and learned a good while ago

go off and investigate some chords especially some 7th and 9th, dominant etc chords and instead of barring them sweep pick the notes. its a great way to learn a about new chords (which every player needs to know regardless of playing jazz to pop to metal) and finding some new scales to solo over. it will help you move away from the standard blues scale.

a great place to learn new chords is listening to classical music or some early 1970's jazz

personally for me i play metal but i am open to all styles which helps me develop my playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Excellent, thanks very much!!! :D:D:D

Advertisement