Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Router in Bridge Mode

• 01-02-2009 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

I've used a laptop in bridge mode of WLAN in order to connect my xbox to live. I'm just wondering if I could buy a cheap belkin wireless router and connect it to my 360, putting it in bridge mode instead of buying the overpriced microsoft wireless dongle thingy.

Theoretically it should work, right? Anyone tried this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

So at the minute you have a ethernet crossover cable running from the Xbox to your Lan port on your Laptop?.

Instead you want to run your xbox to a wireless router that your laptop can connect to?. Is this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Feelgood wrote: »
    So at the minute you have a ethernet crossover cable running from the Xbox to your Lan port on your Laptop?.

Instead you want to run your xbox to a wireless router that your laptop can connect to?. Is this right?

Yes, that's it in a nutshell. The cable connects to my laptop, which connects to my main wireless router upstairs. I'd like to just pop another Belkin router into bridge mode and connect ethernet cable to that to connect the xbox to my wireless network. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Yeah that will work alright Kernel, just switch off DHCP on the new belkin and setup the default gateway and DHCP server to be your current wireless router.

The only reason I would op for this idea though is if your current wireless router is a good bit away from your xbox and you need to boost the signal slightly over a distance.

Obviously with a new router your adding and extra hop to the network, so your connection would be less better than if you just got the xbox wireless dongle. (Milliseconds).

Whats the price of the router compared to the xbox wireless dongle?. Is microsoft stilll lashing these out at €85?. Am sure you would get one on ebay for a bit cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

You can get cheap Access Point and set it to Ethernet Client. It work as Wifi card but connected to ethernet port of Xbox. I had something like that and it was working wothout any probs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Thanks lads. Cost of belkin router from komplett is 30 quid. My main router is the same model and it's been good to me. :) Hadn't thought of the extra hop... Would that be noticeable lag in gaming? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement