Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC DVD ROM

• 01-02-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

I picked up a spare xbox for AUD$10 with a faulty drive, if i dont plan on using it for any original xbox discs or any games for that matter, can i fit any old dvd rom and use the xbox pretty much as a media pc only ? Is it also posible to do away with all the original software and just use XBMC ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

yes, pretty much you're right. but I think you still have to have original drive connected using the yellow cable. The best way would be to get Samsung sd-616t drive and mod it (very easy) and swap the drives. some info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

docentore wrote: »
    yes, pretty much you're right. but I think you still have to have original drive connected using the yellow cable. The best way would be to get Samsung sd-616t drive and mod it (very easy) and swap the drives. some info!

Just read the tutorial and it is simple enough, is this model Samsung a current model ?

not really, but its not to hard to be found on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 360FlashingIrl

Yea, all you need to do is connect the yellow wire to the back of the dvd rom. Handy little media centre for 10e!

Is gamestop in town still selling these cheap?

I picked up my cheap xbox today and tried to play an original game which didnt work so then tried a DVD movie and it works fine ? maybe the drive can live after all, any ideas on what can prevent it from reading orignal discs but
    dvd movies are fine ? - i havent opened it up yet to see which drive it has.

• Advertisement

Yea, all you need to do is connect the yellow wire to the back of the dvd rom. Handy little media centre for 10e!

Is gamestop in town still selling these cheap?

I was hunting for one or two for the last few months and gave up. When they are getting the is 15 mins and they're gone

Hangover wrote: »
    I picked up my cheap xbox today and tried to play an original game which didnt work so then tried a DVD movie and it works fine ? maybe the drive can live after all, any ideas on what can prevent it from reading orignal discs but
    dvd movies are fine ? - i havent opened it up yet to see which drive it has.

Anyone ? it has a Samsung drive.

maybe someone was messing with firmware on it. Try to clean laser lens as well. I would look for replacement anyway

docentore wrote: »
    maybe someone was messing with firmware on it. Try to clean laser lens as well. I would look for replacement anyway

Thats what i first thought but the case has never been opened.

Advertisement