Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 want to "upgrade" HSDPA and increase contract

• 01-02-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Both my sister & fiancee have a 3 HSDPA so get broadband in the same wired blackspot.
    Fiancess had 3 acct about 14 month, sister about 11.
    My syster got a cal from 3 this week, telling her they want to change her modem to offer a "better service".
    For this however they will out her on another year's contract. She went the guy from Bangalore for a shortcut but got nowhere.
    I had registered official complaints to 3 for both of them for the very poor and getting worse service (sats & suns esp zero connection rate). A complaint that did nothing,not even get a call-back. And as we know the Telecom Regulator is a waste...

Anyone else had or know any more about these calls (GF hasn't had one yet but now expecting one).

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A change of modem will make almost no difference and no difference at all to almost all users.

It's a Mobile service, not Broadband and never ever will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Cheers, although that wasn't really my question. The problems they are having are contention rate/over subscribed network like everyone else, I wouldn't expect a Modem change to address that. I wondering more about the rationale behined and whether it is (as I expect it to be) just another policy of deception to tie people into a 12 months contract and wondering if there is ANY benefit to a new modem.

When/if they ring my gf I've told her to get them to send her the tech reasons why the change is suggested and what quatifiable improvement it will make in exchange for the 12 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No.
    Also poor contention is inherent unless you have a mast with very few phone and data users. The phone calls also reduces the amount of space for Data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

DonalB wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Both my sister & fiancee have a 3 HSDPA so get broadband in the same wired blackspot.
    Fiancess had 3 acct about 14 month, sister about 11.
    My syster got a cal from 3 this week, telling her they want to change her modem to offer a "better service".
    For this however they will out her on another year's contract. She went the guy from Bangalore for a shortcut but got nowhere.
    I had registered official complaints to 3 for both of them for the very poor and getting worse service (sats & suns esp zero connection rate). A complaint that did nothing,not even get a call-back. And as we know the Telecom Regulator is a waste...

Anyone else had or know any more about these calls (GF hasn't had one yet but now expecting one).

Regards
    that was a sales call! they call to try to trap people into a further 12 or 18 months as well as making a fortune on a new modem which you do not need and will make no difference to your level of service!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

To quote the late great Douglas Adams, "run away, terribly fast" Three's infrastructure and setup are the cause of the terrible service, no amount of modem upgrades will fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Thread of the day? :eek:

Advertisement