Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions needed on a before and after of a photo

• 01-02-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I took this shot of an accordion player in Madrid las weekend but I felt that firstly the fill flash had made the light seem very unatural and secondly that the background competed for attention with the main subject.

Here is the original

3236543262_4fbf2e91b8_o.jpg

I darkened the face a little and blurred the background to try and improve the shot. I wanted to keep some background detail to give some context to the location of the shot.

Do you think that there is an improvement in the second shot ? Any comments, critiques or suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

3244057666_c9617cdcd4_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,506 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It looks like the foreground is a separate photo that has been superimposed on the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

The second one is an improvement, but as the poster above said, there's still something a bit unnatural about it :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Victor wrote: »
    It looks like the foreground is a separate photo that has been superimposed on the background.
    I too thought this lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

agree that the second is an improvement, but I think cropping the sky to just above his hat would help the composition also. If this was originally a colour picture the conversion to b&w could have been better to give more contrast also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭feileacan

the second one is definitely an improvement but agree with other posters - it looks like two images superimposed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

feileacan wrote: »
    the second one is definitely an improvement but agree with other posters - it looks like two images superimposed.

Thanks folks. You've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Hmm, back to the drawing board I guess. There might yet be a decent shot lurking in there somewhere.

I've just had a weird thought (that might not work out at all) - how about sharpening the background and blurring the guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Thoie wrote: »
    I've just had a weird thought (that might not work out at all) - how about sharpening the background and blurring the guy?

That would be far to distracting i think(?)

To me both images,look like the background is a different image :confused:

Think a lightroom preset might do a good job on this :)

Here is a newer version with less contrast and brighter to show more light detail on his clothes and a less blurred background. Does he still seem photoshopped in to the background ?

3244338554_dda2117b80_o.jpg

Not as much, because the little bits of fluff on the jacket make him appear more "there". I like this version best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think this is a shot which really needs the subject to make eye contact with the camera to work. The last edit is the best of those I can see.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions folks. It's no masterpiece but I've learnt a bit from your comments so thanks for that.

If you want to lock up this thread now, feel free.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Thread served its purpose. Close request from the OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement