Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting work

Options
  • 01-02-2009 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

whats the construction work story like in oz much happening or has it got quite would it be easy enough to get a job im finished work where i am next week so thinking of going to aus or canada for a while.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

high tower wrote: »
    whats the construction work story like in oz much happening or has it got quite would it be easy enough to get a job im finished work where i am next week so thinking of going to aus or canada for a while.

Having no knowledge of your visa state ,I could not say read this thread on British Expats I cannot vouch for the building trade.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585375&highlight=brickies
    FromLink wrote:
    having spoken to a few pommie brickies recently we all agree that the brickies who have work are worried about hanging on to there jobs and those of us laid off at xmas have no idea what is going to happen about getting more work. if your a brickie wanting to come to queensland and the brisbane area please don't at the moment. wait untill the world recession is over then there will be loads of work. i know you will think that your the greatest trowel and will easy get work but there are great trowels here with no work, so be warned. also it is our opinion ( pommie brickies i know and me) that the aussies are closing ranks and if you ring for work and you have a pommie accent you've got no chance, just an opinion. but we are brickies and we are here, so believe what you want, but thats how we see it at present. so will people stop telling brickies in england that there is loads of work in brisbane and queensland, please. your not doing them any favours and you are making it thougher for us. sorry to ruin your dreams for now. steve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Heading over myself too, dont know what the work situation is like but i hear the cities except for adelaide have few jobs. If your thinking of going to canada theres still lots of work, lived there myself for a few years, however dont go to eastern canada if your looking for work vert bad wages there, you can get double the wages in Alberta and if u want to go to the Yukon (where i was) the wages are very high plus lots of overtime plus great people and great quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 high tower

thanks for the reply i was born in aus and lived there when i was younger till i was 10 was back there for a year 4 years ago, not to gone on it to be honest but would go back because i no iwont get any work here in ireland i am a tower crane operator and no theres nothing happening here :( but the job i have u have to go where the work is and at this time its not here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭IHATELIBERTAS

Heading over myself too, dont know what the work situation is like but i hear the cities except for adelaide have few jobs. If your thinking of going to canada theres still lots of work, lived there myself for a few years, however dont go to eastern canada if your looking for work vert bad wages there, you can get double the wages in Alberta and if u want to go to the Yukon (where i was) the wages are very high plus lots of overtime plus great people and great quality of life.

hold on. arent you the chap thats anti-immigration? Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

IHateLibertas, infracted for personal abuse. Benefit of the doubt because you're new (and a certain amount of tired resignation for the same reason.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

thanks for the reply i was born in aus and lived there when i was younger till i was 10 was back there for a year 4 years ago, not to gone on it to be honest but would go back because i no iwont get any work here in ireland i am a tower crane operator and no theres nothing happening here :( but the job i have u have to go where the work is and at this time its not here

Best of Luck with it , as you have Dual citizenship I would go for it. If your out of work your out of work, at least it sunny here and you did not pay through the nose for PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

They are putting 2 tower cranes up on one of the sites we are building.

There is a mad slow down here also and work is tightening up.

Tower crane work could be tough, go to the Emirates or Saudi, thats my advice. TC work is commercial and res driven, bad timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 high tower

its hard to get work there to have tried a few places.i have mates in aus to and they said its getting hard to get work i am going over at the end of feb with my dad for a month so might have a look then and if i get lucky enough to get something ill stay and if i dont ill come home again and sign on for a while.

Advertisement