Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamic DNS Updater or Router??

Options
  • 01-02-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am running an application that requires that I have a device online 100% of the time. I have been using a dynamic dns service provider (as my ip is not static) and have a BT Voyager 2110 router.
    Every now and again, I find that whilst I myself have connectivity, those networkable devices that are connected to me have lost connectivity.
    Theres a setting on the router for dyn. dns - and i have this configured. However, theres also a setting on the network device for this - which I am not using at the moment. I had both enabled last year but the dyn. dns updater service started to slap temporary bans on my account for too many updates.

Are some dynamic dns updaters more reliable than others? Or is it a router issue - with it not communicating with the dyn. dns service effectively?

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. I know I could go and get a static ip but would prefer to avoid the expense if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have a really cheap router at the moment from DLink that supports DDNS, I believe that a lot of their recent models do it, just fill in your login details and off it goes.

I use the free DDNS service and just have to click a link in an email once a month to keep it active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

BigEejit wrote: »
    I have a really cheap router at the moment from DLink that supports DDNS, I believe that a lot of their recent models do it, just fill in your login details and off it goes.

I use the free DDNS service and just have to click a link in an email once a month to keep it active.
    Thanks for that BE, but the BT Voyager also supports two types of dyn. dns updating (they have it limited to these two providers for whatever reason..) - or at least it claims to be. Trying to work out if its the router or updater service provider thats the issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dyndns.com have their own updater, downloadable from their homepage, which is as reliable as you can get. It runs as a service configurable via a control-panel applet as well.

http://cdn.dyndns.com/windows/DynUpSetup.exe

Unfortunately, the updater is of no use to me in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

conventional wisdom would suggest that as your router becomes aware of your IP address change sooner than your network device then you should use your router.

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    conventional wisdom would suggest that as your router becomes aware of your IP address change sooner than your network device then you should use your router.
    Yes, well thats the way I have been using it for the last age. Its only become an issue recently with me needing to have the devices available 99%of the time - with the ability for the router to update itself - which doesnt always work out.
    The devices themselves check continuously if there is an active connection. So its the router/dynamic dns interaction thats failing. I don't mind if there was an outage for a short while as long as the router could get itself back online without my physical intervention.

Had checked back into getting a static ip - but it seems that it can't be done without a major change in the monthly charge regardless of service provider.

Advertisement