Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers 2 teaser

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Going to see it Tomorrow eveing (friday), really looking forward to it.
    I'll post up tomorrow evening what my thoughts are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

really looking forward to it

Here's a preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRS90V8BQGo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Just in from a midnight screening and to be honest, I did enjoy it, but...

- Firstly it definitely suffered from Ewok syndrome. Bay obviously copped how strong a draw the dotted humour in the first was, much as Lucas copped how much moola he was making from merchandising. As a result, it is littered with far too many jokes, especially
    When Megatron has Sam pinned to the car, is literally about to start tearing him apart, and there's sam wisecracking away

- It's far too fcuking long! There is not enough substance to a film like this to warrant a 2 1/2 hour running time.

- Main gripe is how much went unexplained. Exactly what are the Transformers?
    The Fallen appears to have teleknetic abilities given his rock swirling abilities on the pyramid. They appear to also have ghost like abilities as the Primes communicate with Sam whilst he is on death's door. Then there's the whole reproduction side of things with the spawn hatching in The Fallen's gaff
    I'm sure fans know the answers to these questions or indeed there is none and they are just supposed to be taken as is but either way, it was incredibly annoying.

Anywho, thanks to a speaker malfunction halfway through I got myself a complimentary ticket for a film of my choice any night so I'm a happy bunny regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Main gripe is how much went unexplained

The reason it was unexplained is because it was all made up as they went along. No doubt the next sequel will fill the gaps with garbage to try and make sense of it.
    The Fallen appears to have teleknetic abilities given his rock swirling abilities on the pyramid.
    Eh yeah all the older robots were more advanced, teleporting, magic etc than the lastest gen, I'd like to see there explaination for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

FrostyJack wrote: »
    The reason it was unexplained is because it was all made up as they went along. No doubt the next sequel will fill the gaps with garbage to try and make sense of it.

Eh yeah all the older robots were more advanced, teleporting, magic etc than the lastest gen, I'd like to see there explaination for that

Don't get me wrong, it still ticked all the right boxes for me. These are just the complaints I can raise, truth be told, I had my brain well switched off going into this...except due to the running time it switched back on after two hours (default procedure!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I got to see it the other day at a press thing. Wasn't expecting much so I wasn't too disappointed. Special fx/animation was stunning but I thought the director messed up some very simple scenes with dodgy camera work that there's no need for. It seemed like it was basically 33% explosions, 33% robots in slow motion, and 33% Megan Fox's torso. But that said it's well worth seeing in the cinema for the fx and the sound etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

QuadLeo wrote: »
    33% explosions, 33% robots in slow motion, and 33% Megan Fox's torso

Sweet, exactly what i expect from a Michael Bay movie with giant alien robots at war :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The film was disappointing and far too long. The first one was better.

Which is a shame because it was clear they had learnt from the flaws of the first one in some areas but not from others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

i aint gonna watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It was a brilliant movie. What part wasn't good???
    Megan Fox - need I say more?
    Alien Robots that transform into cars - superawesome
    Shia LaBoeuf and Jon Turturro - excellent acting
    Explosions - always a plus
    Humour - who doesn't like to laugh?
    Tasha from Home and Away now 100% less annoying and 1000% hotter - yeah that's a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It was a brilliant movie. What part wasn't good???
    Megan Fox - need I say more?
    Alien Robots that transform into cars - superawesome
    Shia LaBoeuf and Jon Turturro - excellent acting
    Explosions - always a plus
    Humour - who doesn't like to laugh?
    Tasha from Home and Away now 100% less annoying and 1000% hotter - yeah that's a bonus.

You are so UN-negative man.

It was good, but too long. It was all complete nonsense which is what it was meant to be but even then it felt like they pulled a great deal more from the cavity of their asses than usual in hammering this out. I wouldn't begin to attack it though. It would be like throwing knives at a cripple.

Some pieces dragged a bit (and then a bit more), but overall I came out enjoying it. I'm trying to think of something nice to write about it but really I can't think of much. Turturro got the best line in the film,
    I am directly under... the enemies scrotum.

uk broadsheet reviews bad reviews

i aint gonna watch it

Please, the broadsheets are notoriously biased against any film which is'nt a three hour Scandanavian art house picture about the troubles of a small town doctor and his cheating wife. Many of the broadsheets, the Times being a prime example tear every Summer blockbuster apart. Rememeber the Times review of the Dark Knight when they complained that it lacked a post 9/11 feel.

No offence op but if you base what you watch on the opinions of people you don't know then it's your loss. The film could be recieving the worst reviews in the history of cinema and I would still go and see it. You know why, (well apart from being a massive Transformers and Michael Bay fan) I like to make my own mind up. I like to experience things myself, not let someone else dictate what I'll like.

At all the people complaining about the film being too long, it's only 3 minutes longer than the first film which I am currently rewatching and loving it. Seen it at least a 100 times before yet every time certain scenes still bring a tear to my eye. I cannot wait till tomorrow, had to cancel seeing it last night as a relative died and I had to babysit for my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I havent seen this movie, nor will i ever.

Darko how can you call yourself a big transformers fan and like this tripe thats being released? :P

The only thing that stays true to the cartoon is the name of the transformers, NOTHING else is from the cartoon.

Now ive been reading through all spoiler tags as i dont care and i read that in this one... can someone confirm if this is true?
    They have them using magic? is this true? giant machines using magic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

nix wrote: »

Darko how can you call yourself a big transformers fan and like this tripe thats being released? :P

The only thing that stays true to the cartoon is the name of the transformers, NOTHING else is from the cartoon.

Now ive been reading through all spoiler tags as i dont care and i read that in this one... can someone confirm if this is true?
    They have them using magic? is this true? giant machines using magic ?

ok yeah, that's true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Seen it yesterday, yay.
    The Blu-ray will be awesomeness :D

(are you listening Santa Claus?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Saw it last night and I thought it was okay. Firstly let me say that I wasn't expecting much of a plot, there's only so much substance you can get out of alien shape shifting giant robots from another planet. However, this film should have known it's limitation. They should have given a relatively short and snappy tour de force action film. But it ends up dragging for infuriatingly too long, I felt my self losing interest in the last hour.

That being said I thought it was quite decent. I enjoyed the addition of the twins (who were, you know, funny-unlike Shia:pac:) and I enjoyed Bumblebees role in this film.

The action was great in the first hour and a half. I thought Bay did a much more cleaner job than last time around capturing the intracies of the Transformers. But then Bay oversaturated the action in the last hour with explosion after explosion. South Park have this guy down to perfection.

The acting, well, I feel uncomfortable criticising performances when the script gives them very little to do so that's all I will say about it.

All in all, this film would have been very good had they done a bit of trimming around the edges. I'd give it 2.5/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you know it pisses me off big time to hear people say you cant expect a decent plot with a transformers story

theres TWENTY YEARS of fantastic TF stories out there.

the mini series that introduced the fallen in the first place pisses all over ROTF from a great height and its not even what i would call one of the better one's.

hell even the first mini of the cartoon "more than meets the eye" reads like shakespear to what bay gives us here.

the fact is as a film this was a steaming pile of shyte. the ONLY reason to see it is the fightscenes which will mean on DVD i'll be doing what faceman posted and skipping vast chunks of this film for the gold that is the action. there was some great ideas in this film . the gov responsce to the bots for instance, the NEST idea, the prospect of the world govs handing sam over to the deceps to save their own arse, that got sidelined for absoute nonsence like the twins and theres NO characterisation of the bots at all which is absoltuely criminal in a two hour plus film.

and dont get me started on how the constructicons and devestator can be in two places at once !

i was REALLY looking forward to this and the overall feeling i got leaving it was "meh".

me thinks a cut should be made removing whole swathes of it so the plot forms a cohesive point. the film looks amazing and the action is top notch.

but theres no DRAMA.

the first one mightve been aload of bollocks too (lets hide the cube in a city full of innocent bystanders anyone?) but there was a genuine sense of danger and spectacle. theres no "flying through a building" moment in ROTF and devestator, who shouldve been the bad ass bad guy to fight,
    get killed by one shot from a US navel ship ! he NEVER fights any of the main bots and does nothing besides knock he top off a pyramid

things just happen one after another and you find yourself wishing they'd just get back to the fighting. its meant to be a bloody war story, why the hell am i looking at gansta rapbots and leg humping toys?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Matrix of Leadership, Powermaster Prime
    and a ton of other stuff. Of course you'll never know unless you see it.
    hell even the first mini of the cartoon "more than meets the eye" reads like shakespear to what bay gives us here.

The one where Megatron steals the ruby crystals of Burma and converts them into energy?

Galvasean wrote: »

Well those aren't technically magic are they?,
    MoL is a device that just reformats and upgrades the transformer into a "Prime" isnt it?

Its been a decade or two so i could be mistaken :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

First of all let me say, i FRIGGEN LOVED THE FIRST MOVIE. It had everything you wanted in a blockbuster, action, megan fox, big assed robots kicking the crap out of each other, megan fox, enough dialogue and humour to keep things going along at a good pace and big action sequences at the correct times and megan fox.

However, Transformers 2 is on the very small list of films I wanted to leave before it was over. I didnt go in expecting shakespear or anything but the plot was just ridiculous(yea i know its a film about transforming robots but even for that it was retarded). There was zero time spent building up the characters so they felt about as flat as a pancake leaving you to not give 2 sh!ts about what was going to happen to them.

About 20 new transformers appeared for the sake of making a bit o moolah off the action figures and most of them looked fairly similar. They also seemes MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to kill this time around. In the last film they were near indistuctable in this one there sliced up no worries(especially the lead villain). The humour this time around was also just plain straight up not funny. "This is top secret....dont tell my mother" anyone....jeeeeeeeesus. And those twins reminded me of nothing but jar jar binks, the less said about them the better.

Even the one thing i was expecting to be great, the action seuences kinda fell flat on its arse. My gripe here is not the sequences themselves, but the fact that there is so many of them that you become desensitised to them. By the end of the film i found myself thnking, o transformers fighting big deal this has happened like 20 times in the film already.

On the plus side at least, it had megan fox.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Very disappointing sequel but as I expected.
    It was rushed to production and the plot and important dialogue could be written on a box of matches.
    Too much rehashing of scenes from the first film,too weak a plot,too much time wasted on Sam and Michaela (Who I couldnt give a flying feck about ) and too much bad editing.

The first film while being juvenile had some semblance of a story and the action scenes and introduction of the Transformers was well done.

In this film the Autobots barely get a look in .
    Optimus Prime gets a bit of screen time but the rest of the gang are only there to provide backup for fighting.

The Decepticons have more screen time but they are merely caricatures of themselves.

The Transformers are intelligent ,ancient beings yet all we seem to see them do in the films is fight.
    The name of the Film is Transformers,not "The Witwicky Family Adventures",a loathsome ignorant family devoid of any intelligence or charm.
    I want to see the robots not idiot cardboard cut out human characters.
    Patricide wrote: »
    About 20 new transformers appeared for the sake of making a bit o moolah off the action figures and most of them looked fairly similar. They also seemes MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to kill this time around. In the last film they were near indistuctable in this one there sliced up no worries(especially the lead villain).
    Yes that was bollix allright.
    Machine gun fire now seemed to destroy some Transformers in this film while in the first one they were literally immune to man made weapons.

Too many of the Decepticons looked the same in fight scenes,same colour,black/grey and the robots size seemed to vary in different scenes.

I thought the fight scenes were a letdown ,too bloody short,and badly edited.

It could have been a good film but its only worth watching for the scenes involving the robots everything else can be skipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Galvasean wrote: »

The one where Megatron steals the ruby crystals of Burma and converts them into energy?

yup.

even THAT makes more sense than the magic pixie dust of the primes and sexless robots humping megan fox's leg. we used to dump petrol when making rubber because we didnt know it could be a fuel so christ knows how megs did that but at least you could say with the right tec he could

story and charterwise despite HOW stupid it was "more than meets the eye" pisses all over this film.

its THAT stupid.

if your gonna spend 200 mil on a film it should AT LEAST be as good as the comic. currently what were getting here is keatons batman when we should be getting the dark knight. i mean hell the cartoon covered how they fueled themselves and where they lived. the film would have us belive they lived in a big empty room for 2yrs running on nothing.

the film as a story is one big incoherrent mess. im kinda hoping the writers strike and the rush MIGHT be the cause of it but if not then i really hope bays jettisoned now and some new writers come in as a third film like this will likely bury the franchise.

i WANT more transformers film but at this rate i despair at ever seeing a story that matches the heights of target 2006, dinobot hunt, even infiltration had more character and drama than revenge of the fallen.

while its no highlander 2 or batman and robin its not something the writers should be proud of either and im pretty sure on DVD most people will skip whole swathes of it just to see the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

currently what were getting here is keatons batman when we should be getting the dark knight.

Ah now ,Batman was a great film its a classic.
    I think Kilmers Batman is what you meant to say.;)

On a side note I saw Transformers 2 on a digital projector,what a difference it makes.
    The picture was razor sharp .

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

apart from some of the acting and the plot, or lack thereof, the main thing that upset me about this film was
    ravage getting destroyed; he has always been my favourite transformer, since i was a kid
    :(

however, this cheers me up immensely:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT34242

I thought that the first film was one of the most enjoyable blockbuster of all time. I have seen it well over a hundred times at this stage as it's been my default film for hte past year or so.

You have to remember that many of us saw the show when we were mere children and back then we loved it and have carried that love into our adult lives. No if we were to watch the cartoon for the first time in our mid 20s I'm fairly certain that we would not enjoy the show half as much. It's like pople accusing the Star Wars prequels of being childish, of course they are that's their target market.

Tonight when I'm sitting in my cinema seat all I want to see is scnes of giant robots kickign the crap out of oen another, some comedy scenes involving the humans and robots aswell assome cheesy lines from Optimus. I don't want a deep and layed plot about the melodrama of how difficult it is for Transformers here on Earth.

I introduced mny 15 year old brothers to the animated show a few years back and they hated it whereas I was engrossed in it from start to finish.

Also if you have no interest in seeing the film then how can you judge it? Surely if you are going to slate a film you should at least give it the benefit of the doubt initially. You sound a bit like Harry Knowles does when a studio refuses to fly him to the premiere of won't let him on set to mingle with the stars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Re the comments on the film being too long and some people sayings its only a few minutes longer than the first...

ROTF started off ok, and has the pretty awesome fight in the forest/field. BUt things went downhill from there. Far too much fuss over a ridiculous plot. At least in the first flick, we knew the plot was retarded but they didnt really try explain it much. In this we have many retarded scenes with Shia talking about his visions. Then the whole thing with the fembot? That should have been cut out completely. It was just filler.

The final battle in the original, altho nonsensical from a plot perspective, was good. There was deffo a sense of the humans and autobots not having a hope.

The final battle in this was pointless. There were Decepticons there that we didnt even know getting knocked off like they were henchmen from a james bond movie. Scorponok arrives for his 2 second cameo before getting killed and dripping green blood. (What the hell was that for?)

As for Devastator. Hilarious. You have the most powerful transformer we have seen in the movies yet he walks likes a baby, as fast as a snail and has trouble climbing a pyramid with steps. Oh but he has balls though.

The film is full of pointless sexual context too, which while I didnt mind in the first one, this time round it was really pathetic. And Im not even talking about Fox drapsed across a motorbike.

Examples:
    Transformers with testicles
    a transformer dry humping fox
    Gratuitous knicker/ass shot of that blonde girl but its ok cos the focus is on that tail
    Turturro G-string
    Even Shia's parents have the horn!

There were transformers in the movie for the sake of them being there. Arcee, Sidesswipe, the decepticon sideswipe (dont know what his name was), soundwave and pretty much all the devastators thingies

Starscream sounded like a schoolgirl and megatron looked ghey in his tank mode.

Ravage tho, was really really cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Saw it last nite and thought it was very average... maybe it was the fact i went to the late showing but it felt really uninteresting..

Did anyone else think the sound wasn't great for the first 30 mins?? It sounded really poor to me for a while anyway..

there were some cool moments like the forest fight and .. well thats all i can think of... Also there was way too many jokes and poor ones at that.. why?? it's fine having a few funny moment but they seemed to be looking for a laugh in every scene... the most irritating thing about this was that there were 3 or 4 girls in the cinema who literally lol at every joke... i've never been so annoyed at people in the cinema.

Anyway the 1st one is a lot better and i'm not sure which film i preferred between this and terminator!

I thought that the first film was one of the most enjoyable blockbuster of all time. I have seen it well over a hundred times at this stage as it's been my default film for hte past year or so.

You have to remember that many of us saw the show when we were mere children and back then we loved it and have carried that love into our adult lives. No if we were to watch the cartoon for the first time in our mid 20s I'm fairly certain that we would not enjoy the show half as much. It's like pople accusing the Star Wars prequels of being childish, of course they are that's their target market.

Tonight when I'm sitting in my cinema seat all I want to see is scnes of giant robots kickign the crap out of oen another, some comedy scenes involving the humans and robots aswell assome cheesy lines from Optimus. I don't want a deep and layed plot about the melodrama of how difficult it is for Transformers here on Earth.

I introduced mny 15 year old brothers to the animated show a few years back and they hated it whereas I was engrossed in it from start to finish.

Also if you have no interest in seeing the film then how can you judge it? Surely if you are going to slate a film you should at least give it the benefit of the doubt initially. You sound a bit like Harry Knowles does when a studio refuses to fly him to the premiere of won't let him on set to mingle with the stars.

I was refering to you liking the first one, which i have seen and hated. And im not slating you for liking it nor have i slated ROTF. I asked you why you liked the first one, I hold your opinion in high regard for pretty much all your posts in this forum to date. Just trying to understand why you liked the first.. It's how i work :)

The way i see it is, they could have done ALOT better with a bit more careful planning story wise. Instead of wasting the big budget on the destruction they could have spent it on actually implementing the transformers universe. But now the oppertunity is wasted and ill never see that in my life time.

And i watched the old transformers movie awhile back and still hold it in high regard even at my age, its childish yes but no more so than the movies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Believe the flop, this movie is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I cant believe noone else has mentioned the "twin robots"...........am i the only one that thought they made the film living hell to watch?

Advertisement