Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers 2 teaser

Options

Comments

nix wrote: »
    I was refering to you liking the first one, which i have seen and hated. And im not slating you for liking it nor have i slated ROTF. I asked you why you liked the first one, I hold your opinion in high regard for pretty much all your posts in this forum to date. Just trying to understand why you liked the first.. It's how i work :)

The way i see it is, they could have done ALOT better with a bit more careful planning story wise. Instead of wasting the big budget on the destruction they could have spent it on actually implementing the transformers universe. But now the oppertunity is wasted and ill never see that in my life time.

And i watched the old transformers movie awhile back and still hold it in high regard even at my age, its childish yes but no more so than the movies. ;)

Ah apologies man, had just endured a post on another board where some prat attacked me because I dared say that Transformers was more enjoyable than The Virgin Springs.

The entire Trnasformers franchise is aimed at childred, from the origianl show way back in the day right down to the films. You have to rememebr that when we fell in love with the concept and characters we were but children and it's down to this that we continue to rewaatch the old show as well as post on every topic under the sun relating to the franchise.

The first film in my opinion is one of the most entertaining summer blockbusters around. It's big, brash an unashamedly filled with chidlish scenes as well as fantastic character moments. It also managed to do what the show so rarely did and humanised the Transformers. I cared deeply for the fate of the Autobots and their plight.

Sur ethey could have done far more with the story, made it more adult and what not but by doing so I think they would have robebd the film of it's charm. Everytime I watch it I feel like a little kid enthralled by the spectacle on offer and you know what that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,233 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

saw this last night, without having seen the first one (odd, i know).

one of the more enjoyable night's filmic entertainment i've had in a long long time. loved the childishness, loved the characters; it was just a perfect popcorn flick.

good God i love optimus prime. fupping legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Patricide wrote: »
    I cant believe noone else has mentioned the "twin robots"...........am i the only one that thought they made the film living hell to watch?

No.......in fact I was at a packed out viewing on Friday night, and I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that the twins got the most laughs from the audience. They served their purpose which was for comedic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just in from seeing this, thought it was good, will probably appreciate it more on DVD I feel for some reason. Not everything was great though, the humour and gag attempts was a little distracting at times, with some jokes falling flat. Too little Bumblebee for my liking!!! ;)

The new Transformers were never introduced what were the girl bikes about and the silver car with the blades? I understand why the twins were there, long film and kids would get bored but they need to be toned down drastically. No development on Ironhide and Ratchet.

Over elaborated on the "plot" as well. Anyways I enjoyed it looking forward to it on Blu-Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

my only issue here is trying to work if its simply just as bad as the first film or worse.

Of all the flaws of the first film every single one bar 2 returned
    the two they fixed were the camera no longer decides to wander off to look at some dirt during the fight scenes and the deceptacons actually had some interaction beyond *growl growl smash smash*

All the elements I hated from the first film returned in gusto, including my personal favourite,
    the far too prevelent US military (I think that yes once again in the kill counts the humans have outgunned the autobots *again*) and not only they that all the first films errors return, but the sequel decided to lop on a few of its own, including an insane amount of fart and sex jokes. A script that would put anyone to shame. Editing that was so horrific that I cannot fanthom how anyone signed off on the final cut (my favourite was jumping from the middle of a city to a forest in a single cut but the constant night/day/night/day jumps are also pretty irritating. Token black robot from the first film return, but are doubled this time and are turned up to eleven. Sadly they dont get killed this time. But token fremale robot with 2 lines does, WHOOHOO. Thankfully they cut annoying overweight hacker, but they replace him with hysteric college blogger, who throws in nods to the *internetz* for respect. Look lolcats (which have now officially jumnped the shark). Us spec ops return but have nothing to do until the last scene so annoying *government* guy is thrown in to create a non existent conflict, though seeing how easily the us military whoops deceptacons I would ask why it was such an issue if the autobots left/ To be fair to the first film it starts slow, builds up pace and goes at a good pace through to the end. This one starts with shiny and then nose dives into mediocraty for far too long, hence why it feels way too long. And while I thought the stereotyped suburban life in the first film was enjoyable, the way over the top representation of college raised some serious *WTF?* not to mention the mountain dew machine in his F*CKING ROOM!?! Shockingly from early clips I disliked the annoying brooklyn deceptacon, but by the time I dealt with every other horror this film produced he came out quite by comparison. Oh did anyone else smirk when the fallen gave his darth sideous speech in his first scene with megatron. HE actually calls him *my apprentice*... Shia Lebouf was fine in the first film, in fact he was one of the strongest elements, he played off the *spike* character very well, but as a character he pretty much bombs in this one, his crazy scenes were really cringeworthy and the whole issue of letting go with his parents was just awful. In his defence, both shia and megan pull off the flirting/fighting scenes quite well until the script intervenes and they have to talk about *love* where the whole thing falls apart. Oh and one final thing, while I know some *fans* like the majority of marvel morons can be won over by cameos and nods to popular characters, throwing in a sharkticon cameo does not make me forgive or cheer in any way.

I think this calming rant has answered my dilema, yes I disliked this more then the first film. I would have accepted if it had just the flaws of the first film I would have forgiven it for going with what it new worked and would have said the small steps in the right direction (starscream) were good signs. But that it somehow makes every mistake and adds on tonnes more is just unforgiveable.

Not the worse film this year, but still a bad one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hey BlitzKrieg, do you think you should spoiler some of that the part about what 'bots die and those that dont?

i just spoiler the whole lot to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

faceman wrote: »
    Starscream sounded like a schoolgirl

What else is new? The original Starscream sounded like a girl.

Heck, fans complained aboout the 2007 movie because Starscream wasn't whiney enough. Now that the filmmakers have listened to that criticism and fixed it they continue to complain.
    Man you cant please everybody.
    Although that said
    I was hoping Starscream would have shot Megatron in the back at the end

Oh and Faceman, throw some spoiler tags into your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I only thought the first was ok but this was awful! It was overlong, cheesy, some crappy comedic characters - the mother, the gangsta twins were like 2 giant Jar Jar Binks, the remote control car thing wasn't much better and the old fella with the robo-beard was embarrassing. Some good action and great CGI in it but it was a mess. Highlight is ALOT of slow motion shots of Megan Fox running.

2/5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The entire Trnasformers franchise is aimed at childred, from the origianl show way back in the day right down to the films. You have to rememebr that when we fell in love with the concept and characters we were but children and it's down to this that we continue to rewaatch the old show as well as post on every topic under the sun relating to the franchise.

I hipe you arent viewing my posts as confrontational :)

Re the franchise being aimed at children. Its true, but i dont believe thats the case with the ROTF, and to a leser degree, the first movie. Its full of unnecessary sexual gratuity. Quite frankly its not funny or in any way justified. Those scenes were put there to appease children.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Galvasean wrote: »
    What else is new? The original Starscream sounded like a girl.
    Heck, fans complained aboout the 2007 movie because Starscream wasn't whiney enough. Now that the filmmakers have listened to that criticism and fixed it they continue to complain..

Sorry when i said he sounded like a schoolgirl, i mean he literally sounded like a schoolgirl. I wasnt referring to his dialogue, i was referring to his voice.

I had no issue with his voice in the first movie.

I just listened to Mark Kermode's ROTF review, very funny but you got to admit, he has a point on how awful the film tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ok .

im just back from seeing it a second time and i have to admit it was far more enjoyable the second time around which is just plain weird.

the problems with it being too long now seem obvious to me now to conscern the whole last act in the egyption desert. a judicious us of the snips there wouldve made the film flow a hell of alot better which is why there seemed to be ages of nothing going on there .

i mean how bloody oftern was starscream circling simmons before doing nothing? that whole "cat and mouse" scene fell completly flat and is in stark contrast to the one with sam and mikela which did gernerate actual tension.

the net result is when the action DOES start youve far too mucn non time which makes prime
    killing the fallen in what seems like a split second look completly arbitary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh.

Ok, so I liked the first movie. Yeah it was typical Michael Bay but Transformers 1 had enough goofy idiocy that it got into my good books somewhere around the "so bad it's good" chapter. I actually thought that maybe, just maybe Bay had developed a sense of humour & was laughing at his own mechanics of film-making.
    So it wasn't without justification that I was looking forward to more of the same for Transformers 2. Well you know what they say about being careful what you wish for ...

What a heap of crap it was. Seriously, where does one even start analysing such a cynical, mean-spiritied piece of nonsense as this ...
    • It was too long.
    • The Transformers "twins". Errrrgh, look out Jar-Jar you're crown's in jeopardy.
    • The humour was "off". Like I said, the first movie had a goofiness that was embellished by a script with some genuinely funny moments between the characters. This one just seemed... forced?
    • Again, we had Transformers just appear and then get trashed within the blink of an eye. Why bother in that case?
    • There was too much random pointless filler, which adds to the previous point about length. All the college scenes had no need to be there whatsoever. That annoying roommate character did nothing, what precisely was he there for?
    • The "Team America" attitude / Techno-fetish. Sure, going into a Michael Bay movie I know what to expect on that front, but sweet fancy Moses he turned it up to 11 for this one.
      The jingoism was suffocating (how exactly can US forces just waltz into China / Egypt on a whim like that? We're talking China here ffs); the masturbation of the US military got too much at times. This overall theme wasn't helped by ...
    • The casual racism & sterotyping. So, we need a pointless scene in France. Quick, break out the mimes & snails. Oh no wait, we're in Egypt now so everyone needs to be in a dress and saying durka-durka. If the movie wasn't so long maybe this wouldn't have sunk in so much, but by the end I felt a bad feeling in my stomach after all the ultra-nationalism & racism on show. I don't begrudge Americans the right to feel proud of their country, but when it manifests itself in this theme of rightwing, militaristic xenophobia, there's something wrong here.
    • Michael Bay presenting Obama as a coward who runs to his bunker, having tried to negociate with the decepticons, really showed us where Bay pins his colours.
    • As usual, Michael Bay shows us that he's still a misogynist at heart. Or at least incapable of presenting women as anything more than slutty cockteases. I must say, for a PG movie it got in plenty of crass tits & ass shots.
    But once again it doesn't matter a jot because ooh-look-noisy-explosions let's not think too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

faceman wrote: »
    Sorry when i said he sounded like a schoolgirl, i mean he literally sounded like a schoolgirl. I wasnt referring to his dialogue, i was referring to his voice..

as was galvasean when he said that starscreams voice in the cartoon sounded like a girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Interesting point raised by a colleague in work today and I'm quite puzzled by it myself.
    There's two shards of the Allspark left. One is used for Megatron. The other is in the posession of Shia "Wish I was Indy" LaBeouf. Why oh why, instead of using his shard to revive Jetfire, did he not try and use it to revive Optimus Prime?

Just a thought...

as was galvasean when he said that starscreams voice in the cartoon sounded like a girl!

In fact he sounded more like a girl in the cartoon. Interesting side point; when the 1986 cartoon movie was dubbed into French Starscream was voiced by a woman.
    niallon wrote: »
    Interesting point raised by a colleague in work today and I'm quite puzzled by it myself.
    There's two shards of the Allspark left. One is used for Megatron. The other is in the posession of Shia "Wish I was Indy" LaBeouf. Why oh why, instead of using his shard to revive Jetfire, did he not try and use it to revive Optimus Prime?

Just a thought...

Now that you mention it, that is a tad odd... Could it be that
    Primes Spark was killed since he was stabbed through the chest (where th spark is), where Megatron's spark was merely overloaded? or..... it's just a big gaping plothole :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

saw this today, thought it was ok, but not much else. Really enjoyed the first one but this was just way too long and i found a lot of the novelty value had worn off

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I havent seen this movie, nor will i ever.

Darko how can you call yourself a big transformers fan and like this tripe thats being released? :P

The only thing that stays true to the cartoon is the name of the transformers, NOTHING else is from the cartoon.

Who cares
    The cartoons were crap

What difference does it make whether they are true to the cartoons or not? Just take them as a film and stop over analysing everything.

I watched and enjoyed it. Guns, giirls , robots killing each other. Looked and sounded great, I can think of a lot worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Look, I liked Transformers as a kid. When I grew out of them, I remembered the joy they brought me, but I am in no way a fan boy and don't own the DVDs nor would I watch the series now. I always thought it'd be pretty cool to see live action Transformers. Saw the first film and as a film, I thought it was pants.

But man alive, I was not prepared for the utter deplorable crap that was Revenge of the Fallen. It was about an hour too long, puerile, immature, idiotic, dull despite the explosions, sexist, racist, imbecillic and once again, idiotic. I had a bloody headache after it. Decepticon testicles? Dogs shagging for comedy value? Stereotypical sidekick robot twins? Is this really what it's come too? Absolutely appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Stekelly wrote: »
    Who cares
    The cartoons were crap

What difference does it make whether they are true to the cartoons or not? Just take them as a film and stop over analysing everything.

I watched and enjoyed it. Guns, giirls , robots killing each other. Looked and sounded great, I can think of a lot worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Just LOL at you.

Whats the point in rebooting something though if your not gonna stay true to it? They may aswell have just made up a franchise of their own no?

And not everybody is as easily amused as yourself ;)

20060717.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Seen it over the weekend. It really did drag out towards the end. There must of also been half a page of dialogue in the whole movie.

Also I couldn't help but
    feel sorry for the decepticons. Why the hell is Optimus killing so much of his own kind. If I had to choose between killing some Alien race or killing humans and dooming my race to extinction I'd kill the aliens. It was also like they turned the badass Megatron from the first movie into merely a weaker sidekick. He didn't at all seem as superior to Optimus as he did in the first

megatron did sort of shrink didnt he?

He was about 1 and half times bigger then optimus in the first film...

also I wouldnt call myself some sort of big drug hippie or anything, but i did have the experiance of hash brownies once and
    I dont believe the reaction they opted for from the mother is anywhere near accurate. She was acting more drunk then stoned, maybe it originally was she drank herself into such a condition out of sadness but the studio didnt like it? Also could they have been anymore heavy handed with the scene near the end where its now the father who refuses to go and its the mother that lets him go?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The plot can be summarised as:
    Sam goes to college. EXPLOSIONS!!11!!1!!1!!!!1"

I didn't go in expecting a whole lot but as L31mr0d says there was about half a page of dialog. The movie was basically:
    1. Look how hot Megan Fox is
    2. Look how hot this college girl is
    3. Look at this amazing CGI

The least I expect in a film in 2009 is amazing CGI, I've seen amazing battle scenes before and if I want to see how hot megan fox is I can do this [NSFW]. A 2 and a half hour long CGI battle just isn't that impressive tbh. Admittedly I was already a bit tired but I fell asleep for about 20 minutes and woke up to find I'd missed nothing of the plot because they were still in the same battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    1. Look how hot Megan Fox is
    2. Look at this amazing CGI

Didn't you know. Megan Fox isn't actually in this movie, it was all CGI ;)

Whats the point in rebooting something though if your not gonna stay true to it? They may aswell have just made up a franchise of their own no?

Cartoon with transforming robots, childish jokes and plothole ridden storylines.

Film with transforming robots, childish jokes and plothole ridden storylines.

Seemed to stay pretty true to me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Oh Galvasean, you will be the death of me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

L31mr0d wrote: »

Also I couldn't help but feel sorry for the decepticons. Why the hell is Optimus killing so much of his own kind.

It seemed a bit odd allright.
    Prime seemed to delight in killing his fellow 'Brothers' .
    But then again Sam honoured him with his bravery in the first film ,ha ha ha ha .
    A pity Optimus didnt use his sword on the loathsome Witwicky family.

• Advertisement

It seemed a bit odd allright.
    Prime seemed to delight in killing his fellow 'Brothers' .
    But then again Sam honoured him with his bravery in the first film ,ha ha ha ha .
    A pity Optimus didnt use his sword on the loathsome Witwicky family.

I liked the witwicky family, they offered better comic relief than Jar Jar, the twins or C3PO ever could! :)

Advertisement