Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principles of Animal Science (ANSC20030)

Options
  • 01-02-2009 2:56pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey! Currently doing an elective that i really cant see myself passing in the summer and was thinking of changing to this. Anybody have any idea what its like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Definitely do it. All the notes are on blackboard so far. There's an exam in a few weeks but nobody has started studying yet so you'll catch up easy. Attendance sheet is passed around every class. It's not easy peasy like but exam questions seem to be very very similar every year.
    Lecturer said there was a high failure rate 2 years ago because of low attendance but I think the pass rate improved last year because of continuous assessment and taking the roll.

He said he doesn't expect us to go into detail on anything. I'd put it at pass leaving cert biology standard.

We did the nutrients required by animals, like amino acids, fatty acids, minerals, vitamins and water. Just know 4 or 5 lines on each one I think.

Then we did the 'proximate system' for analysing foods into 6 components:
    1. moisture.
    2. ash
    3. crude protein
    4. ether extract
    5. crude fibre
    6. nitrogen free extractives

Again just need to write 4 or 5 lines on each.

Next we did digestion in the animal. Know the functions of the main parts of the digestive tract: mouth, oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine. Know the functions and sources of a few enzymes. That was for cows and sheep.

We did digestion in the chicken or some sort of a hen as well. That's the good thing about it. It covers a wide range so you don't have to get into the tricky stuff in any detail. He recommended a book called 'Animal Nutrition' (4 copies in library). We don't have to buy it but that's where he gets his diagrams.

Then we did digestion of carbohydrates, protein and fat in the cow and sheep.

Then we did the development of the stomach of a calf.

Then we went on to talk about feeding programs for farm animals.Grass, silage and concentrates.

I think we will be moving away from nutrition from now on to beef, sheep , dairy and pig production, all of which is supposed to be easier. He said what we have done so far is the trickiest bit of the course. If you get yourself on the roll every day you'll pass. I'll definitely pass and I'm half thick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

off topic,but,what course is it your doing?
    it's sounds along the lines of what i'm looking for in college

off topic,but,what course is it your doing?
    it's sounds along the lines of what i'm looking for in college

The above course is part of some options in the degree in agricultural science.

But be warned, the above course is one of the easier options in the agricultural science degree. Other modules which you would have to do would be trickier. But if you are interested in the above, then it's a great course.

Some of us only take it as an elective so we aren't doing the agricultural science degree at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Thanks a million for the detailed reply pathway33!

Just about to make the switch now! :D

Thanks a million for the detailed reply pathway33!

Just about to make the switch now! :D

no prob....see ya tuesday

• Advertisement
Advertisement