Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the problem?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

papagormo wrote: »
    i know its not strictly an IT issu, but am i doin something wrong here.in library, want to save a word doc to a cd to hand up, and its telling me i cant, what the deuce?!

Permissions must not allow you to copy info onto a cd in the library, didn't even know they had cd trays on the pc's in the library!
    If you take out the student pass free login how do you expect students to gain access to a pc when they cannot login to the network. It has happened me several times and I have had to use the student login to gain access to the pc during a lab

And I'm with you in regard to dcam, something needs to be done and seeing as students are the ones who use it, we should help maintain it

You can log onto the pc with your own username and password all you have to do is click desktop only on the login screen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

draffodx wrote: »
    You can log onto the pc with your own username and password all you have to do is click desktop only on the login screen

Yeah that works (if the network is down or unplugged). But there should be no need for student account *if* the system is properly run in the first place.

If i had my way, i'd lock ethernet cables in to all PCs and the sockets then ditch the student account. That eliminates a lot of problems (well, gamers & downloaders) as they can't get access to an ethernet cable or a free ethernet port. They're forced in to using either wireless or the college PC's which will both require a username if the student account is disabled ;)

We desperately need a website, run by the college and open to everyone to submit ideas and suggestions and bash heads on what can be improved and how and who's willing to help out. It's criminal there isn't something like this already.

Computing and Business/Innovation in particular should be much more tightly linked imo and we should be bouncing off each other, using technology, through dkit. For example if i wanted to create a new business but i didn't have the know how, or the skills/contacts... or vice versa if someone in business wanted to start up a website/ebusiness etc... would it not be useful to have a list of students online who would be interested in talking with each other?

All that would take is a modified open source job board set up for students/staff to post ideas or possible jobs / opportunities / help needed. Anyone who's interested sets up an account/profile, they privately exchange details and it goes from there in to 'real life'.

Cost to college? €0. Software is free, get students to moderate it... I could do that - i'm sure others could too - i have the vision to see that something like this within a young, talented community (a college) is potentially invaluable down the line for everyone. Not even down the line, right now...

But then you say, well why should i... why isn't this in place already? Why isn't there a competitive edge when it comes to web services? Where is the vision? From what i see, the drive just isn't there. It is there though for energy saving and green living and all that.

I can't help but think that if this was a private enterprise with talent on tap at no cost, it would be exploited much more.

Advertisement