Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boards Dance Music Forum Meetup Thread!!!

• 01-02-2009 3:53pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As mentioned a few times, I think its time a load of us got together at a gig - we've all been talking sy!te on here for years but we've never had an actual meet (although I have met a few boards members at gigs etc)..

Any ideas as to when and where? I'm sure it will be impossible to choose a gig that everyone will be into, but my suggestion would be either a decent big house/techno dj that most would have an appreciation for... OR it might be a good idea to go to a local night with a good Irish DJ maybe - possible someone who is a boards member?

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Zascar wrote: »
    As mentioned a few times, I think its time a load of us got together at a gig - we've all been talking sy!te on here for years but we've never had an actual meet (although I have met a few boards members at gigs etc)..

Any ideas as to when and where? I'm sure it will be impossible to choose a gig that everyone will be into, but my suggestion would be either a decent big house/techno dj that most would have an appreciation for... OR it might be a good idea to go to a local night with a good Irish DJ maybe - possible someone who is a boards member?

What do you think?

Good idea, although I think this site needs to ease of the cheese with the 'such and such' THREAD cause it's just getting too GaYYYYYY....

Edit: btw, anyone fancy tagging along to John Digweed next Fri is most welcome. 3 in cue already, get yer bleedin' tickets!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hhahaha sorry I don't know why but I like those titles...

Not a big digweed fan really sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Well being a House Music man im very excited about going to this:cool:

http://www.pod.ie/index.php?s=2
    MARSHALL JEFFERSON

20 Feb 2009

Crawdaddy

Adm €16. Advance tickets available from usual outlets subject to booking fee.

CHECK TICKET AVAILABILITY

MARSHALL JEFFERSON
    Support: Aaron Dempsey

Doors 11.30pm - Lobby Bar open from 5.30pm

There are a handful of men who have the title of "Godfather" of House. While many have legitimate claims to the title because of seniority and being there at the beginning, one stands out from the crowd as being the one that defined House music, and indeed dance music as we know it today. His name is Marshall Jefferson. In 1986 he played piano on a House record for the first time ever. The idea was so innovative that record companies told him that it wasn't even house music. That record was the platinum "House Music Anthem", and today you rarely hear a house record without piano.

Since then, Marshall's list of accomplishments in House music read like no one else. In 1987 he produced the first ever "Acid House" record "Acid Tracks" using the TB 303, and simultaneously launching the successful career of DJ Pierre. Also, he produced the first House record incorporating old tome soulful spiritual vocals, launching the successful careers of Ten City, Kim Mazelle and Ce Ce Rogers. All those early songs are blueprints for what we recognize today as Deep House, Garage and Techno music. The TB 303 is now the most sought after instrument for Techno artists and producers today.

It seems like almost every song Marshall produced turned into another form of music, which Marshall regrets, as he just wanted his songs to sound different from each other. Marshall was also the headline act in the first House music tour of Europe in 1987, and House music has remained since. The list of careers that Marshall has helped or launched reads like a who's who of dance music; Roy Davis Jr, Felix Da Housecat, Lil Louis, Frankie Knuckles, Steve "Silk" Hurley, and many others, not including thousands of producers/DJs that have been influenced by him.

The most impressive thing about Marshall, however is what separates him from all the others, his ability to consistently write the classic song. He is far and away the most covered songwriter in dance music today, with his back catalogue containing more than one hundred covers and sample licenses. This is because Marshall's forte has always been essentially groove-oriented.

In early spring of 1994 Marshall Jefferson came back from a four year sabbatical, returning to the UK he was surprised to see the lack of change in the dance music scene. He returned back to his first love, DJing. Six years on, he is one of the biggest DJs to come out of Chicago having played at every major club/event across Europe and playing resident to Europe's biggest dance festival Tribal Gathering/Big Love. Finally when we look at the House music spectrum in all its mutated forms from Deep House, Garage, Techno and Acid through the years, you can be sure he has contributed or influenced all of them!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Which one Jonny that link points to a long list of gigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Which one Jonny that link points to a long list of gigs

Marshall Jefferson like i posted:)

• Advertisement

I think I'm going Blind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

from what ive seen of this board in my 7 odd years at boards, i dont think theres anything near the community of other places on here to warrant a meetup tbh

That's a ridiculous statement Helix. There is no question that this forum is absolutely nothing in comparison to as you say the community on other forums like DMI or bodytonic etc. But there are a small group of us that have been regular for a fairly long time, there is absolutely no reason why some of us should not all go out to a gig some time - would be nice to put a face to the name etc. I'd say it would actually liven things up in here and increase the community spirit too.

ah im sure theres a few alrite

but in my opinion its not something id be arsed with, mainly coz this place is generally a bit rubbish

know a few people off here in person already too

Yeah this place is nothing on many of the other bigger ones, but lets not forget that this is one single forum on a message board with hundreds. Very different whgen the whole site with many sub forums is dedicated solely to dance music etc. However I find the amout of total sh!te posted on many of them a real turnoff. I just don't have the time to be on my more... That new www.dancemusicireland.net seems good though, maybe needs a little more traffic...

Back on topic. Who actually Would like to do some form of meet up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 puresthatred

thousands of posts here on boards.ie, many people into electronic music.

ill be playing in dublin as puresthatred in 2009 for those interested.
    i used to be known as anodyne.
    leave of absence complete.
    gigs will be posted after record launches this year.
    acid / industrial / techno / electronic darkness will prevail.

http://indiestore.7digital.com/puresthatred/

That new www.dancemusicireland.net seems good though, maybe needs a little more traffic...

Back on topic. Who actually Would like to do some form of meet up?

its www.dancemusiceverywhere.com now

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Helix wrote: »
    but in my opinion its not something id be arsed with, mainly coz this place is generally a bit rubbish

:rolleyes: so....what are you doing here then? Thanks for the positive input.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

bohsboy wrote: »

He's just too cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

lads come down to the pod next week and i;ll shtick ya's on the list. I'm headlinin so it might be good!

jtsuited wrote: »
    lads come down to the pod next week and i;ll shtick ya's on the list. I'm headlinin so it might be good!

what day?? I'm headin to JD Friday... Could sell my tickets if you could swing something in the Tripod... Then Iwould bring you a big cake with a candle on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Jay D wrote: »
    what day?? I'm headin to JD Friday... Could sell my tickets if you could swing something in the Tripod... Then Iwould bring you a big cake with a candle on it.

i'm on saturday.

The offer of a big cake with a candle on it remains...

bohsboy wrote: »

i pop in occasionally to see if theres anything worth a ****e

there rarely is

jtsuited wrote: »

Cheers I'd love to but I've plans for next 3 weeks that i can't get out of. Defo will some time after that Jeff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 balls

I think your around a bit more than 7 years. I remember you used to post on mauro picotto's forum when he was a fovourite in the Temple - late 90's early 00's. Listen i googled you because im looking for a tune that i havnt heard in about 10 years. It was once of my favourites but i never knew the name. I dont know the name of it but Mauro played it once or twice in the temple and there used to be all out mayhem when he played it. It had a kind of celtic/irish twang to it - but defo not in a cheesy way. It was kind of dark/underground and very very hard. Id put it in a simular category to taub.
    Started of with really heavy drums which faded a bit as some really celtic-y synths (allmost like bagpipes but not as annoying) faded in. Then the drums came back in and off it went - berzerkers. Listen im dying to get my hands on it again (used to have on tape -live in temple off kiss fm) I can whistle it onto mpg and mail it to if needs be - or if you have any idea what it is......

Advertisement