Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop units for sale/lease/let thread

Options
  • 01-02-2009 4:49pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For fun I guess! Lets count the empty shops in the town.

Guys and dolls at the corner of new street, and sherry fitz (isnt it?) closed too :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pendude

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/longford/longford/p_2/
    here you go, have a good long laugh, 7 pages of pure comedy ;D
    but yea, its pretty amazing the number of shop units that are empty!
    makes one think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Armstrong

How many pages will this thread be by next christmas???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

For fun I guess! Lets count the empty shops in the town.

Guys and dolls at the corner of new street, and sherry fitz (isnt it?) closed too :P
    Are you finished counting them yet? LOL:D
    That's a strange idea of fun you've got :P

Anyhow I see this (what was this previously?:confused:) in the link provided http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Ballymahon-Street-Longford-Co-Longford/28592/
    please note - There are full toilet and staff facilities to the rear. :D
    LOCATION… LOCATION… LOCATION !!
    Longford is a thriving midlands town (the largest urban centre in the North Midlands), located equi-distance between the East and the West coasts. It benefits from the bust commuter service from Dublin to Sligo and is centre of the N4/ M4 corridor.
    New retail parks have brought both high street stores and boutiques and large retailer such as Argos and Homebase to Longford town and it is now considered an excellent shopping town. A new Dunne’s stores anchored shopping centre has been built along the Dublin Road closer to the town centre.
    Longford Town benefits from its ideal location just off the N4 Dublin-Sligo Road. Located only 75 miles from Dublin, recent road and rail improvements have reduced commuting times considerably, leaving Longford within easy reach of the city. Longford Train and bus station is within walking distance of the property.
    So we're thriving, no need to worry.:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

whoever posted that property ad is obviously from another planet :(

whoever posted that property ad is obviously from another planet :(
    these guys......http://www.propertypartners.ie/property_agent_details.jsp?o=102
    they really should know better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i see the take away at the corner of new street is now up for let. dunno how longs its been there, i only noticed it this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

does anyone know anything about Beady Eyes? its a really small place, its kinda part of the kiosk, i know there was a girl selling jewellery out of it for a while but it seems to be closed now, anyone any idea if its for lease??

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Heartbeat City packing everything into boxes this evening, the place is cleared out.
    Another one bites the dust?

If so, there's no dedicated music retailer in the town - sign of the times...

John J wrote: »
    Heartbeat City packing everything into boxes this evening, the place is cleared out.
    Another one bites the dust?

If so, there's no dedicated music retailer in the town - sign of the times...
    Having picked up a few bargains in HC in Mullingar I though I'd have a look in Longford today, I had a sad when the shutter was half down, I though maybe something was up - didnt realise they're closed:eek::(

There's always the Music Centre John J ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

poor ol longford is going to pot, everyone is being laid off, me mum n her partner, my b/f will be soon cos theres no work n most of my friends have no jobs anymore... iv ben looking for months and have got nothing, tis kinda sad, everyone is freeking out...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Longford is being totally decimated by the bursting of the property bubble. The town and county were far, far more dependent on construction and property than most other parts of Ireland.

And those who voted for FF in the last election think long and hard about your support for a political party that has brought this country and county to its knees.:(

Unfortunately, those who are losing their jobs now will spend less, putting pressure on other businesses, which will have to downsize or close, resulting in more people losing their jobs, who will spend less, etc etc etc and on we go

Unfortunately, those who are losing their jobs now will spend less, putting pressure on other businesses, which will have to downsize or close, resulting in more people losing their jobs, who will spend less, etc etc etc and on we go

Vote for none of them because they're not doing their job right?

The latest updates from the Longford Leader:

* Toy City have closed - temporarily according to management
    * Brady McDonagh Casey are laying off staff and moving to another premises
    * Speculation over the future of Spectraphoto in the shopping centre

Spectraphoto in shopping centre closed today - sign on shutters: "All queries next door =>"

this is fun :pac:

Spectraphoto in shopping centre closed today - sign on shutters: "All queries next door =>"
    SPECTRA PHOTO (Retail), the company founded by Irish photography entrepreneur Xavier McAuliffe, is to hold a creditors’ meeting later this month.

In a notice published yesterday in the Irish Daily Mail , the company said a meeting of Spectra Photo creditors would take place in Tralee on June 17th for the purposes mentioned in Section 267 and 268 of the Companies Act.

The notice of a creditors meeting is often an indication that a company is in financial difficulty.

Section 267 and 268 of the Companies Act concern the appointment of a liquidator for the purpose of winding up a company and distributing its assets.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0606/1224248175616.html

Think we can assume they're not coming back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

The latest updates from the Longford Leader:

* Toy City have closed - temporarily according to management
    * Brady McDonagh Casey are laying off staff and moving to another premises

and are facing a court challenge..apparently they were evicted, werent paying rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Mobile Communication Station on Dublin St is closing before the end of this month

OK - enough of this doom and gloom.

In a ringing endorsement of the future of retail in Longford, one of Ireland's leading chain stores has decided to open a new retail outlet in the town's prime shopping district.

With this announcement, Longfordians can hark back to the days when Main Street was thronged each lunch time with brickies and chippies up to their knees in muck and cement. When Section 23 apartment blocks mushroomed in every field and Thomas Kearns told us Carrigglas would attract the world's top golfers to a muddy field near Ballinalee. When world-renowned stores like Argos, Homebase, Halfords and Boots jostled to tap into the town's thrusting dynamic free-spending youth demographic. Days when we thought all we had to do was throw up enough houses and everything else would sort itself out. Anyone who thinks otherwise should go and commit suicide, isn't that right Bertie?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I bring you Ms. Quin's Charity Shop, which flung open its doors on Grafton Court yesterday morning. A shop perhaps more in tune with our future than any other.

(Oh yeah, and O'Briens looks to be re-opening too)

• Advertisement

East European Mini Market - CLOSED

Longford Euro Savers - CLOSED

The Vanilla House closed during the week.

M&M's newsagent in the shopping centre had the shutters down at 11.30am this morning (Saturday) - are they gone also?

Sign up on most of the retail units in Shopping Centre this morning protesting about parking charges. Whistling down the wind - the councillors will have their Elite biscuits and a few little shops closing won't stop them.

Parking charges are supposed to act as a disincentive to bringing your car into town. If there's no public transport, then parking charges act as a disincentive to come into town at all. It appears those elected to govern are too stupid to add up the numbers.

Dunnes car park almost full before midday - interesting what free parking can do. If they had developed that site into a full retail park it would have made a mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

The Vanilla House closed during the week.

M&M's newsagent in the shopping centre had the shutters down at 11.30am this morning (Saturday) - are they gone also?

I saw that, I think it was Monday that I saw them down too.. Although my date/time has been completely screwed up since the LC...

O BRIEN'S IS OPEN AGAIN!!! :D:D:D

MrPirate wrote: »
    O BRIEN'S IS OPEN AGAIN!!! :D:D:D

But for how long? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

But for how long? :pac:

Supposedly that whole examinership thing won't affect the different outlets of the place. So hopefully forever. Fcuking love their coffee. Only proper place in Longford to get a large coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

The inlaws were over with us for the weekend & were very supprised to see the amount of shops that are closed in the town..

Most of the shops seem to be on rolling 5-year leases, with the new retail strategy it seems as if tesco will move out of the town.. I reckon most of them are just waiting until their current lease it up before shutting shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

The computer/satellite TV store at the entrance to the shopping centre car park (beside the Jac-o-Bite café) also closed recently...

The computer/satellite TV store at the entrance to the shopping centre car park (beside the Jac-o-Bite café) also closed recently...
    I think they just moved down the way?

the bridal shop on new street is gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

The pub John Joe O'Reilly's has gone. Sadly missed, well for me anyway. They did a great pint...

Advertisement