Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mud rash

Options
  • 01-02-2009 4:56pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 16.2 not very hairy gelding has one patch on his near hind, I have been super careful, but in this weather :rolleyes: I had been putting a barrier cream on him going out to the arena and washing the sand off when we get in. However,someone told me that the barrier cream is not helpful and washing his legs should be avoided, opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Try washing the infected leg with hibiscrub and drying thoroughly once a day. The hibiscrub will soften the scabs which can be teased off over time and the disinfectant properties will kill off all the lovely bacteria that are causing the rash and are hiding under the scabs. Don't try to pick them off dry and dont go hell for leather in picking them off - just soften them and see what comes off gently.

Problem generally clears up in a couple of days. I have never used barrier cream with mud rash - I'd think that it would just keep the area moist? which is what allows the bugs to grow and infect the skin in the first place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

OK the main thing is the legs re kept clean and dry. Use some warm water and hibiscrub and dry with a towel. Try and keep the horse on straw. Apply some parafin oil to infected areas when turning out. It will keep the skin soft and will keep water and mud out. Be as thorough as possible, stick with it and you will see results

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

had the barrier cream in use before the rash..some use!! Would parrafin also not allow the area to dry out?As to picking off scabs, at the moment when I even approach his near hind the ears go back and he stamps a warning on the floor!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

I trim the fetlock tight and keep the area clean.. In your case slap on sudocreme it works:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

had the barrier cream in use before the rash..some use!! Would parrafin also not allow the area to dry out?As to picking off scabs, at the moment when I even approach his near hind the ears go back and he stamps a warning on the floor!!

Ther parafin acts as a barrier when the horse is turned out and is much better than newer barrier creams on the market. It is essential to wash and dry everyday. No need to pick off the scabs they will fall off after some hibiscruba nd the parafin oil will loosen them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

try equi creme, i find it very good for all sorts of mud rash,rain scald etc..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I'd also recommend E45 cream, its excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I find equicreme good on sore spots but if you apply all over an area I find it clogs the hair and makes it harder to get to the problem.

personally I would heat some water and wash the patch thoroughly with hibiscrub and tea tree shampoo (tea tree is anti fungal anti bacterial etc). Dry the legs thoroughly with a towel. Apply tea tree based cream to any scalded / exposed areas. If theres v scalded areas I tend to trim the hair around it so you can see what your dealing with and its easier to clean.

For the area with underlying scabs I apply aloe vera baby oil to the area and gently comb through with a mane comb - some of the soft scabs will come off. Id never pick the scabs off as it will expose sensitive skin underneath.
    I would then apply liquid parafin or aloe vera baby oil to the area before you ride. If you wash after riding make sure to dry off. The problem is caused when skin is left weat as a warm moist condition is perfect for fungal infection to thrive.

oh and disinfect any towels, grooming tools etc after you use them. and wear gloves!

was treating a few horses who had this recently byhookorbycrook- one was quite sensitive so I had a friend twitch her for a few minutes while I treated the area. It kept her relaxed and minimised the risk of me being injured. The next time I did her leg she did not need to be twitched she was fine with it I am sure she fekt a lot better after it had been treated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

thanks all!

Advertisement