Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big decision

• 01-02-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey lads,

very quickly...

i'm giving up my accounting job in the summer and going back to college. I've decided on psychology (interested in it for ages).

If anyone is doing the psychology and sociology course in UL, would you be able to give me a little feedback on it. How are you finding it, difficulty, the co-op element etc.

I'm also looking at the psychology course in UCC but thats pure psychology. Unsure what route to take tbh..

As you may agree this is a really important decision as i'm giving up 4 years of work to go back to college so any advice/tips are welcome.

One last thing. I'm 25 this summer so obviously i'll be a mature student. Do i have to apply sooner than leaving cert applicants and also, will i have to pay fees as a mature student?

Regards and thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

santino wrote: »
    Hey lads,

very quickly...

i'm giving up my accounting job in the summer and going back to college. I've decided on psychology (interested in it for ages).

If anyone is doing the psychology and sociology course in UL, would you be able to give me a little feedback on it. How are you finding it, difficulty, the co-op element etc.

I'm also looking at the psychology course in UCC but thats pure psychology. Unsure what route to take tbh..

As you may agree this is a really important decision as i'm giving up 4 years of work to go back to college so any advice/tips are welcome.

One last thing. I'm 25 this summer so obviously i'll be a mature student. Do i have to apply sooner than leaving cert applicants and also, will i have to pay fees as a mature student?

Regards and thanks in advance

Didn't even know there was a psychology course in UL.

Great student experience though. You'll have to apply directly to UL so it'd be worth maybe arranging to meet a lecturer...Carmen Kuhling is listed as course director.

Orla Muldoon is head of Psychology and from experience I'd recommend talking to Amanda Haynes about sociology. We had a module in sociology in 1st year Business and she made it interesting.

All contactable by firstname.lastname@ul.ie

You probably won't qualify for free fees in first year if you have a solid accounting job and it's likely that everyone will be paying fees after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Your in the same boat as me so, i want to pack in the job as well and head back to college. If I get in this year I will be 24 going back. I'm interested in doing physiotherapy in UL. The way it works for mature students in that course is that it is seperate from the CAO and you have up until April 1st to apply. I am unsure if that is the same for all courses. If you have to apply through the CAO you are to late as the deadline was 1st of feb.

I recommend you go to www.ul.ie and find information for mature students. I emailed the mature students office yesterday and they were albe to answer all my questions. Email this address with any questions mso@ul.ie

With regard fees, as far as I know when you already have a primary degree you have to pay all fees involved, even if you are a mature student. However there is a mature student grant available but I am still investigating this.

Glad to hear im not the only crazy person deciding to go back and put myself in debt, but better to do it now than regret it in 5 years time :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 boogyboogy

I lived with a girl back in first year and she had to drop out of that course in UL because it isn't recognised by the governing body of physcology...notsure if that has changed now thats was 2 years ago...hope it works out well for ya!!!Also UL is a deadly college if they have got recognised I would defo go for it.

Advertisement