Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Carrick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    had ronaldo done it, que 4 threads on how much of a disgrace he is. gerrard should have been sent off for it yesterday but of course hes innocent aint he? doesnt get much lower than hitting a man in the nuts. at least boswinga had the balls, no pun intended, to come out and apologise.

anyway, thread successfully derailed alan, well done.

back OT, Carrick for England. player of the month is between him, vidic and giggs.

Not fair to Al there - i derailed it with a couple of rage posts. I'm going to leave that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

Not fair to Al there - i derailed it with a couple of rage posts. I'm going to leave that now.

oh apologies so to mr alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its ok ya pair of gheys! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    are you taking the mick, Alonso is the best CM in the PL this year, i didnt actually think anyone would argue that? :confused:

lol no chance. Top 5 if lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I'd rate Fabregas,Alonso,Gerrard,Essien as all being better than him.
    Alonso :eek:

CRACKER!

I see you are putting a marker down already for 2009 for the most biased poster award.

folks, go to the team of the season thread from a while ago, check out how often Alonso featured. He really has been outstanding.

folks, go to the team of the season thread from a while ago, check out how often Alonso featured. He really has been outstanding.

what % of nominations will be from Livepool fans though?

I'm not saying Alonso is a bad player or not having a great season. I just think Carrick is better. There are players I think are better than Carrick, doesn't mean I think any less of Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lads, can we just discuss Micahel Carrick without derailing the thread further?

If not I'll lock it.

Cheers

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lads, I don't see the words 'Gerrard' or 'Alonso' in the thread title so can we just discuss Micahel Carrick without derailing the thread further?

If not I'll lock it.

Cheers

What? How can you discuss the virtues or a player without comparing him to other players? Tis football, everything is a comparisson. I don't think there have been any heated exchanges regarding the footballing merits of the players.

May as well lock the thread now if we are not allowed to compare him to any other players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What? How can you discuss the virtues or a player without comparing him to other players? Tis football, everything is a comparisson. I don't think there have been any heated exchanges regarding the footballing merits of the players.

May as well lock the thread now if we are not allowed to compare him to any other players.

Firstly, if you have a problem with a modding decision you can PM me and not derail the thread further.

Secondly, you admitted yourself to derailing the thread so what are you on about now? Discussing Steven Gerrard, Cristiano Ronaldo and whoever else and their diving has nothing to do with Michael Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Carrick has been consistently doing it now for his 3rd season with United, tested and proven at the highest level and has not been found wanting, that can't be said for the rest of the comparble midfielders.

Boggles wrote: »
    Carrick has been consistently doing it now for his 3rd season with United, tested and proven at the highest level and has not been found wanting, that can't be said for the rest of the comparble midfielders.

not true boggles. Carrick has upped his performances & their consistancy big time this year. before this year, he was a good player but not comparable wiith the other midfielders mentioned earlier.

Boggles wrote: »

yep, his arrival came at a time when united were being lashed week in and week out for midfield problems. this has ended with carrick and he was the only signing that summer.

not true boggles. Carrick has upped his performances & their consistancy big time this year. before this year, he was a good player but not comparable wiith the other midfielders mentioned earlier.

i think he was uniteds best player in the first half of last season. only my opinion though, but i know its one that alot of lads that support united shared at the time. rio and ronaldo took all the plaudits, but carrick was superb too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    yep, his arrival came at a time when united were being lashed week in and week out for midfield problems. this has ended with carrick and he was the only signing that summer.

A lot of people point to Carrick being are only signing that summer as some kind of magical turning point.

What they forget to mention is that the season before we had lost Scholes for half the season. His return was like a new signing especially as he had altered his game a good bit.

They also forget to mention that the most important transfer deal done that year for United was not buying Carrick it was selling Van Nistelrooy. This changed how United played immensely including allowing Ronaldo to shine.

EDIT: Carrick obviously was and is important to the style we switched to.

Not knocking Carrick he has been out best and most consistent midfielder for a year now.

As for who ever said he was out best player in the first half of last season. He was actually fairly poor and was in and out of the side due to injury. He didn't get his form back until after Christmas.

EDIT: IMO too but one that was expressed a lot last season. There were calls for him to be dropped before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

United won a Champions League and the league last season. They won the league the year before that and reached the semi-final of the Champions League. Now, they top the league, with four months of the season to go.

Either the other outfield players have carried the dead weight of an average midfielder in some of these matches, or Carrick has contributed something to this. Midfield at that level (and in those games) isn't somewhere you tread water. He doesn't catch the eye of inflatable hammer type fans admittedly; he doesn't carry the team like Gerard or Lampard do, but saying he's merely a good player doesn't ring true.

If he had more chances at international, he wouldn't be as underrated IMO.

Advertisement