Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belgian V German

• 01-02-2009 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I'm partial to both but wondered on opinions as to whether you peepil have a definitive opinion on which nation brews the best? I think for me it's the Belgians. I like 'em strong and Kwak, Triple Leffe, Grimbergen etc just have something the Germans don't. Am I wrong?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Belgium, for variety. It's very hard to get bored of Belgian beer because there are so many breweries doing all manner of different things. Even though Germany has a similar number of breweries-per-square-foot they produce a lot of very samey beers -- hundreds and hundreds of yellow lagers that taste much like the next one. You have to go to particular areas to experience local variety -- Cologne for Kölsch, Düsseldorf for Alt, Bamberg for Rauchbier -- but lots of other local styles have been killed off by megabrand consolidation or the spread of the Reinheitsgebot through the country in the 19th century.

Finding interesting beer in Germany is much harder work than in Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

BeerNut wrote: »
    Belgium, for variety.

My thoughts precisely, though you have obviously extensive knowledge of German beers which trumps mine, only really knowing the stuff we get over here. I would be surprised to hear that there was anywhere else with the variety of beers of the Belgians - I was over there recently and was informed that there were over 300 breweries in the Ghent region alone!
    They do have the variety thing sewn up, everything from Kriek to Hoegaarden to the trappist stuff and all manner of fabulous stuff in between. Bit of a Beer Nut's paradise I reckon.

That, gorgeous pubs, cracking food, and effortless public transport.

I'll be making my second trip this year in about a month's time.

They're absolute rubbish at making stout though. Which is why one of their breweries has a long-standing arrangement with Guinness to have a special variety made just for them. It is, of course, far and away the best beer thing Diageo make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Belgian for me, for all the reasons mentioned above.

But there is Aventinus - as good as any dark, strong Belgian beer
    and Augustiner Edelstoff - probably my favourite lager style beer.

And there's the hundreds of German beers that I've never tried!!

But my heart is with Belgian beer!
    Mmmmmm Orval!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

All of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Defo Belgian for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Belgians for me, but Aventinus dose punch above it weight:).

Its a little of a unfair comparison thought, the majority of German beer is a for of lager or lagered beer which are low ester beer com paired to the range of flavors the can come for Belgian ales yeast and spice additions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

oblivious wrote: »
    Its a little of a unfair comparison thought, the majority of German beer is a for of lager or lagered beer which are low ester beer com paired to the range of flavors the can come for Belgian ales yeast and spice additions
    And whos fault is that then? Bloody unimaginitive Germans only themselves to blame :D

There's nothing to stop the Germans from making more interesting or complex beers. It's just that, a bit like the Irish, they believe against all the evidence that their mainstream beers are world-class and that everyone thinks they're great.

There's nothing to stop the Germans from making more interesting or complex beers. It's just that, a bit like the Irish, they believe against all the evidence that their mainstream beers are world-class and that everyone thinks they're great.

I just think you are comparing apples and oranges, not that I am a particular lager fan

• Advertisement

I just think you are comparing apples and oranges
    The Belgians grow both apples and oranges, though admittedly their apples aren't up to much. The Germans have decided to confine themselves to growing apples only, believe they grow the best apples on the planet, and sneer that oranges aren't even real fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

the belgians are very passionate and knowledgeable about their beers, it 's a big part of their culture, also their chocolate. I think the Germans and French are more taken by their wines and beer does not have as a high a status as in Belgium...not all Belgian beers are good though, they have a lot of stodgy beers produced aswell

.not all Belgian beers are good though, they have a lot of stodgy beers produced aswell

Stella, Budweiser;)

The Germans have decided to confine themselves to growing apples only,

Not quite true, you can argue they have some oranges but grow them like apples.

believe they grow the best apples on the planet, and sneer that oranges aren't even real fruit.

I have come across this believe many time

Not quite true, you can argue they have some oranges but grow them like apples.
    :D ...and call them "orange-shaped applefruit".

The Belgians grow both apples and oranges, though admittedly their apples aren't up to much. The Germans have decided to confine themselves to growing apples only, believe they grow the best apples on the planet, and sneer that oranges aren't even real fruit.

Vedette is as good a lager as almost any German.

Vedette is as good a lager as almost any German.
    I disagree. I think it's rather poor, and put next to, say, Schlenkerla Märzen or Keesman Herren Pils I don't think it compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Belgian beer is much nice than German beer I think, Rather go to Belgium than Germany as the Belgians are always good craic while the Germans are ............................mmmm

(You know what I mean)

Peter

Peadar06 wrote: »
    Rather go to Belgium than Germany as the Belgians are always good craic

Not unless you start speaking french in a Flemish area

I disagree. I think it's rather poor, and put next to, say, Schlenkerla Märzen or Keesman Herren Pils I don't think it compares.

I haven't had the pleasure of the above!

• Advertisement

you may have seen it around, the smoked one

schlenferla_marzen.jpg

Schlenkerla wouldn't be everyone's favourite, but it's a superb example of how you can make normal-strength lager without it being the same old yellow fizz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

They're absolute rubbish at making stout though. Which is why one of their breweries has a long-standing arrangement with Guinness to have a special variety made just for them. It is, of course, far and away the best beer thing Diageo make.

I agree. It's made for James Martin and clocks in at 0.5% ABV stronger than FES. Though my (hazy) memory from way back tells me that it was even stronger back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I love both countries, but Belgium has to win at beers. Nothing better than sitting down to a few of these
    karmeliet_packshot.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Its safer to drink in Germany because your not normally in a place where you can have 10 bottles of extra strong beer and still not have tried a fraction of the available (and you have to try them)
    +1 Hoegarden Forbidden fruit and I look forward to trying some of those ones above.

ps I got myself a set of Kolsch glasses in a charity shop at the weekend so I'm looking for a recommendation for some brands so I can spend some night this week drinking a lot from a tiny glass (ps in Dublin, pass Redmonds everyday)

RDM_83 wrote: »
    you can have 10 bottles of extra strong beer and still not have tried a fraction of the available (and you have to try them)
    More reason to keep going back :)
    RDM_83 wrote: »
    looking for a recommendation for some brands so I can spend some night this week drinking a lot from a tiny glass
    The two brands we see most here are Gaffel and Früh, of which the latter is better, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Definitely has to be Belgian for me.
    The Belgians are the ones that really got me thinking about beer, and what it can do.
    I find that the German beers can be a little samey!!
    Having said that, I do love some of the beers from both Countries depending on my mood.
    Its all good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Yeah, Belguim shades it for me too based on both the variety of beers and I generally like their pubs better too - that said, if I was stuck with German pubs and beers for a year or two, I think I'd survive the "ordeal" !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I lived and worked in both countries, 4 years in Germany and 1.5 in Belgium
    so I'm fairly familiar with both.There's no doubt about it that Belgium has the
    largest selection of beers in the world,they practically invented the stuff but
    if given the choice I would pick German beer any day.Quite simply because of the purity law,German beer doesn't have any chemicals and Belgium beer does.Beer brewed according to the Purity Law in Germany should only contain the basic few ingredients so the brewing process is a lot more detailed and sensitive.Belgium beer is full of chemicals and artificial flavourings.Proof of this is the hangovers that you get from drinking some of their beers.
    I remember going out for a quiet night and drinking only 3 or 4 small glasses of beer but still getting a massive headache the following day.You would never get anything like this from any of the Bavarian beers for eg.

• Advertisement

PWEI wrote: »
    .There's no doubt about it that Belgium has the
    largest selection of beers in the world

USA I am afraid

they practically invented the stuff but

Thats just a myth about Belgian beers, all the one we know to day are all a very recent invention:D

Quite simply because of the purity law,German beer doesn't have any chemicals and Belgium beer does.Beer brewed according to the Purity Law in Germany should only contain the basic few ingredients so the brewing process is a lot more detailed and sensitive.Belgium beer is full of chemicals and artificial flavourings.Proof of this is the hangovers that you get from drinking some of their beers.

lactic acid is lactic acid weather its made by lactic acid bacteria or systematized both have to be pure. Their brewing process is pity much the same as any, convert the malt to simple sugars. Some do a technique called decoction mashing but it just a slightly different why of reach the same point.

The Reinheitsgebot is a bit of a marketing ploy these days and Guinness would not qualify under it
    I remember going out for a quiet night and drinking only 3 or 4 small glasses of beer but still getting a massive headache the following day.You would never get anything like this from any of the Bavarian beers for eg.

3 or 4 small glasses of a 10% beer is going to have a different effect to a 4-5% lager

Advertisement