Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to stop a Property Tax ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

False.
    This is an FDI economy. Our top earners recycle the money attracted to the country by the public sector. Think your username is fairly accurate.

I disagree. We do depend on a hell of a lot of foreign investmnt-that is true. However, as you have seen recently with the likes of Dell,GSK, Wyeth being bought by Pfizers (which will probably lead to factories being downsized) the foreign multinationals are dropping and Irish run businesses will become more important with regard employment and addition to the Irish economy.

It isn't for nothing that the government has given tax exemptions for the first three years after formation of a new company in Ireland. However, if you tax the rich to excess then there will be a disincentive for these companies to be formed.

With regard my name, I'll look into changing it to segaMAN when I get the time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 funky.monkey

To the poster who asked "how did I afford a house " I should explain....I used to have a higher paying job, but it closed down 3 years ago. Also in the late 80's and early 90's I worked in England so saved up some money while i was there.
    But I've been lucky and managed to get another job though with much lower wages which meant a few cutbacks (car / VHI etc).
    But thats one of the reasons a property tax is unfair - if anything happens to your income you are still liable for this tax. You can get mortgage inssurance but that won't cover this tax, and so like I say if this comes in - you had better hope you never lose your job, never get sick, never seperate, never get old without a good pension, cos none of those factors will matter - unless you are living in a tent in the phoenix park you will have to come up with 1000 euros a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

To the poster who asked "how did I afford a house " I should explain....I used to have a higher paying job, but it closed down 3 years ago. Also in the late 80's and early 90's I worked in England so saved up some money while i was there.
    But I've been lucky and managed to get another job though with much lower wages which meant a few cutbacks (car / VHI etc).
    But thats one of the reasons a property tax is unfair - if anything happens to your income you are still liable for this tax. You can get mortgage inssurance but that won't cover this tax, and so like I say if this comes in - you had better hope you never lose your job, never get sick, never seperate, never get old without a good pension, cos none of those factors will matter - unless you are living in a tent in the phoenix park you will have to come up with 1000 euros a year.

Probably should be an income limit on it, though I'd worry the bureaucracy would eat into the Revenue.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Any form of poll tax is unfair to those who can't afford it. The attitude that those who have property are in a different league with regard taxation is flawed IMO. Your situation is a good example and I would be opposed to any such tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

I thought all the talk of a property tax was for second homes??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    I thought all the talk of a property tax was for second homes??

John Cullinan from the Central Bank was reported in the media with figures showing the income streams from a tax on all dwellings- it came to EUR1.7b
    The media have been reporting on his statement.

Advertisement