Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music...

Options
  • 01-02-2009 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

What essays are you all studying for music??
    theres quite a few...
    any predictions on what essays will be on it?
    :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Think I'm gonna stick with instruments, developments in the 20th century and Regional Styles.
    But might learn bit of Development in Nothern America stuff or fusions aswell. Euch . . .so much!
    Actually have no ideas, like theres stuff thats only come up once or twice and then theres stuff that comes up almost every year! It's bloody impossible to predict it!
    Just gonna wait and see what comes up in mocks. . . :(
    how bouts you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Harping or Sean Nos come up every year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

God there's just so much, and I really don't like Irish Music so it's really boring to have to learn all about it! So far i've learned Sean Nos, A collector, ornementation and the influence on the music of North America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I'm most comfortable with dance tune types, harping, and North America... I hate the whole essay aspect of the exam. Stupid amount of learning for silly amount of marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Far as im concerned Music doesnt even exist till my other subjects r finished then going to use the week break to study it!

• Advertisement

I know, it's sweet, 3 whole days to go to town on the set questions and essays... glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

*Waits for PFM to come in with her cautionary tale of becoming disillusioned halfway through the exam months*

RE shall be studied after Chem or Physics (not sure which is first) and not a minute before hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

naasface wrote: »
    Far as im concerned Music doesnt even exist till my other subjects r finished then going to use the week break to study it!

I'd be the same except for I have econmics and art history around that time, I'll still be leaving it til the last minute though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Fusions is definitely going to come up.

is that like horseslips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Fad wrote: »
    *Waits for PFM to come in with her cautionary tale of becoming disillusioned halfway through the exam months*
    Yeah. Well, I could not sit easily knowing I was leaving anything to the last minute... you don't know what might come up, and you don't know how you'll feel then (here's a hint: "What leaving cert? Hello, sleeping"), so it's not the wisest of decisions... But sure, whatever makes people happy...

xOxSinéadxO; Fusions would generally extend beyond the pop/rock/traditional fusion (horslips), you'd want to talk about ethnic/traditional (kila, for example), classical/traditional, jazz/traditional, and whatnot. (I don't know it too well, we only skimmed over that topic.)

^ thank-you very much! so you're saying you'd have to talk about a few different fusions in your essay?

I'm actually skipping the essay in my mocks. don't know one thing for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I honestly haven't done a bit of work in music and have no idea where to start with the essays! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Guitarist-JEM

same here and i have the exam 2moro!lol

:(

apparently talking about
    all the different dances is coming up and that seán o riada lad, CCE, that's what I heard anywho

I also have music tomorrow and have done no work :(

No worries, I didn't prepare either but having the Mock done is a great way of getting sh!t together in my head; makes it much easier to study when you've actually experienced the situation.
    Sounds ridiculous, but after doing relatively badly in Music today, I'm really confident that I'll have it down by June.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

So anyone had the exam yet?
    Think I'm more stressed about picking my peices then the written exam! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

Ya had my music mock just before the midterm......tbh i thought id fly it cos iv always found it easy & been doing piano since i could talk, but lordy did i get some shock after it!! composing paper wasnt that bad, but if your doing harmony (q.5 i think)
    Make sure you revise your minor keys!!!
    the listening paper would have been ok but dont think you'll get away without studying for it!!
    Last section of seachanges, start of Berlioz, think it was the 2nd mvmt Mozart & St peppers for the beetles. in the random listening bit too (last q) they asked for 3 features of 20thC music....caught all of my year out!!! Only thing is i dont know whether we had DEB or examcraft...sorry!
    Irish music
    fusions and accordion family are all i remember
    its only 2.5% of the entire exam anyway so i wouldnt stress over it

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

I did music for leaving cert, its really not that hard!
    I decided to do it 3 weeks before the practical as an extra subject...played drums for my practical and did no study for the exam at all, I literally put in random notes everywhere!

I got a C3 in Honours!! I really couldn't believe it

• Advertisement

Synods wrote: »
    Ya had my music mock just before the midterm......tbh i thought id fly it cos iv always found it easy & been doing piano since i could talk, but lordy did i get some shock after it!! composing paper wasnt that bad, but if your doing harmony (q.5 i think)
    Make sure you revise your minor keys!!!
    the listening paper would have been ok but dont think you'll get away without studying for it!!
    Last section of seachanges, start of Berlioz, think it was the 2nd mvmt Mozart & St peppers for the beetles. in the random listening bit too (last q) they asked for 3 features of 20thC music....caught all of my year out!!! Only thing is i dont know whether we had DEB or examcraft...sorry!
    Irish music
    fusions and accordion family are all i remember
    its only 2.5% of the entire exam anyway so i wouldnt stress over it

It was definitely DEB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Guitarist-JEM

I thought it was quite difficult...:o..

i think i did bad on the seachanges ..

and the only question i wanted to come up didnt come up!:mad: ...
    "explain the 3-note cell" lol..

what did everyone else think of it?

I thought it was alright, the set works were much better than I'd anticipated and the listening was fine too, though I did have to waffle an awful lot. Only one of the essays I'd studied came up but it was one I'd studied in a lot of detail so was able to write a lot on. Harmony wasn't too bad, melody was awful, only managed to write 12 bars (well 8 on top of the 4 given) and did a poor excuse for a modulation. If you get a perfect practical you only need a minimum of 80% in the written paper to get an A1 overall.

Advertisement