Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK to TAX Broadband customers.

Options
  • 01-02-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭

UK to TAX Broadband customers because of pirates.

Full Story

Courtesy: Afterdawn.

Are we next?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Delete this thread before Cowen sees it. :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Hagar wrote: »
    Delete this thread before Cowen sees it. :eek:
    You're grand.. No fear of Sarkozy reading boards.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So, does this mean that because eircom have a legally binding agreement with the courts (three strikes and your out) that it would be illegal to impose a TAX on Irish eircom Broadband customers?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Full Story

Are we next?

-

Did you read the article at all? Firstly it is something the minister is looking at. Secondly it is a report of another article from another newspaper and lastly it says it may not happen soon.

This article will give more perspecitve on what is happening in the UK at the moment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/29/digital-britain-lord-carter-broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You're grand.. No fear of Sarkozy reading boards.. :pac:
    He doesn't post much but.... Sarkozy :eek::D

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    He doesn't post much but.... Sarkozy :eek::D

OMG! :eek: we have a spy in the camp :D

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So, does this mean that because eircom have a legally binding agreement with the courts (three strikes and your out) that it would be illegal to impose a TAX on Irish eircom Broadband customers?

-

eircom have no agreement with the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Remember the tax on cassette tapes ? Every blank tape had included in the price a "tax" that went to the music industry to cover them for the "loss" that they would experience because of piracy. Music only recordable CD's had the same deal.
    Canada had an MP3 player tax, and there was talk of it being brought back again.Every Zune player sold has a levy that goes to the music industry.
    So a tax on broadband would not be without precedent!

And Cowen being the ignorant idiot that he is would jump at such a tax, so be afraid, be very afraid :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If we are being taxed for pirating stuff then don't we then have an obligation to pirate if we weren't before and can't we pirate more if we were already pirating without fear or being sued?

Since we have paid for it already with the tax like :D

On a serious note, ISP's policing their users is bad. If the government wants laws to be respected they should police them, themselves.

thebman wrote: »
    If we are being taxed for pirating stuff then don't we then have an obligation to pirate if we weren't before and can't we pirate more if we were already pirating without fear or being sued?

Since we have paid for it already with the tax like :D

On a serious note, ISP's policing their users is bad. If the government wants laws to be respected they should police them, themselves.

And one can only imagine the outcry from people like yourself if the Government started policing users as you propose.

And which isps are policing their users?

• Advertisement

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Remember the tax on cassette tapes ? Every blank tape had included in the price a "tax" that went to the music industry to cover them for the "loss" that they would experience because of piracy. Music only recordable CD's had the same deal.
    Canada had an MP3 player tax, and there was talk of it being brought back again.Every Zune player sold has a levy that goes to the music industry.
    So a tax on broadband would not be without precedent!

And Cowen being the ignorant idiot that he is would jump at such a tax, so be afraid, be very afraid :-(

Did you read the articles? There is no serious proposal for a tax on bb at the moment in the UK.

jor el wrote: »
    eircom have no agreement with the courts.

Eircom has settled with the Big 4 labels EMI, Sony, Universal and Warner, and has agreed to disconnect customers who download unauthorized music.

"High Court proceedings ... have been settled on an amicable basis with both sides expressing satisfaction with the outcome,"

While the agreement is between eircom & the 4 labels it was presided over by the the High Court so whatever way you want to phrase it, it is legally binding.

-

Eircom has settled with the Big 4 labels EMI, Sony, Universal and Warner, and has agreed to disconnect customers who download unauthorized music.

"High Court proceedings ... have been settled on an amicable basis with both sides expressing satisfaction with the outcome,"

While the agreement is between eircom & the 4 labels it was presided over by the the High Court so whatever way you want to phrase it, it is legally binding.

-

The settlement was out of court, so there is nothing in law. The courts have nothing to do with the settlement, the music companies simply took eircom to the court to force their hand. The court didn't preside over the agreement either, they presided over the case that was taken against eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Lord Carter is proposing a LOT of things. It's a Quango proposal and many of the proposals are frankly loony. Licences forever for 3G to existing operators? I don't think so.

watty wrote: »
    Lord Carter is proposing a LOT of things. It's a Quango proposal and many of the proposals are frankly loony. Licences forever for 3G to existing operators? I don't think so.

More here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/01/mediabusiness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Full Story

Are we next?

-
    any chance you could add the following to your thread title "in 2012?" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

dub45 wrote: »
    And one can only imagine the outcry from people like yourself if the Government started policing users as you propose.

And which isps are policing their users?

I don't download music. In fact the only thing I use torrents for is the latest episode of Heroes because I couldn't be arse waiting for it to air here and I hae the boxset for it too.

Eircom are policing their users. They are just accepting information from third parties for the IP addresses.

Its the same as the police waiting for a crime to be reported to them then going to the crime scene. It should be the police not the ISP. I'd have no problem if the police properly enforced the law but to be cut off from possibly your only source of broadband is a bit harsh. Fined maybe but cut off, no I don't think so.

Eircom are policing their users. They are just accepting information from third parties for the IP addresses.

As of yet, nothing has happened. We also don't know what exactly eircom will do with the information provided, or what kind of investigation they will perform. You're making a statement of fact on something that there are no facts on yet.

I don't download music. In fact the only thing I use torrents for is the latest episode of Heroes because I couldn't be arse waiting for it to air here and I hae the boxset for it too.

Its the same as the police waiting for a crime to be reported to them then going to the crime scene. It should be the police not the ISP. I'd have no problem if the police properly enforced the law but to be cut off from possibly your only source of broadband is a bit harsh. Fined maybe but cut off, no I don't think so.

If a person is to be cut off they will have been given two previous warnings as we understand the arrangement. Now if anyone is cut off from their only source of bb after that they are surely an idiot?

And 'only source of broadband' get real! There are other sources of bb out there. And if the bb is that important to the person then they, as I have written elsewhere, like someone who is dependent on a car for their living should be driving carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

If you want to pirate, don't be a retard and get caught. Simple solution to the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement