Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dual boot

• 01-02-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭

i have vista ultimate and i put the windowa 7 beta on another hd, i formatted the partition that had 7 on it but windows still asks what os i want to load at startup
    how do i fix it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Start - Control Panel - System - System Properties - Startup and Recovery - choose Vista from the dropdown and untick option to show menu...

(Safest?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Karoma wrote: »
    Start - Control Panel - System - System Properties - Startup and Recovery - choose Vista from the dropdown and untick option to show menu...

(Safest?)

safer than finding and editing boot.ini :)

Always backup boot.ini and test new entries before removing old ones

If changing disk/partition Windows is on, add all possible boot.ini options as disk/partitioning numbering may not be what you thing it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote:
    safer than finding and editing boot.ini :)

Always backup boot.ini and test new entries before removing old ones

If changing disk/partition Windows is on, add all possible boot.ini options as disk/partitioning numbering may not be what you thing it is.
    Pffff..
    Windows is harder to kill than that :rolleyes:
    I've only had to fix boot up on two windows machines in the last week :pac:

get a floppy disk
    format it on the machine you want to use
    then copy c:\ntldr
    c:\ntdetect.com and c:\boot.ini to it
    then reboot and check you can boot up from the floppy disk ( 2 minutes of crunching )

then you can mess around directly with the boot.ini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or, if it's totally boned, google (on another machine) for Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands

you'll need an XP CD (of the same type as you installed XP with) but it can be a life saver on a buggered non booting system after a foobar'd multi-boot cock up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Or even easier and safer is to get EasyBCD and delete the loader entry there (has options for backup too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

vista boot pro was a pretty fool proof way of doing it with xp/vista dual boot.

as you cant edit boot.ini in vista needed to be done from command line.

might work with vista and 7 havent tried it.

would allow you to select default os and set the time out on selevtion screen at start up , i normally set it to 2 or 3 seconds. Bit more useful than getting rid of it in case you need to switch back to vista in a hurry for something. Remember you have no visibility of vista from windows 7 and vice versa so if there are files on that partion you need to boot to it to get to them i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I have one hard drive with Vista 64 bit. I'm planning on doing dual boot between Vista 64 and Vista 32(or Xp). I was wondering if it would be better to get a completely seperate hard drive for the 32 bit operating system or does it not make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

luckylucky wrote: »
    I have one hard drive with Vista 64 bit. I'm planning on doing dual boot between Vista 64 and Vista 32(or Xp). I was wondering if it would be better to get a completely seperate hard drive for the 32 bit operating system or does it not make any difference.

No difference, just create some space in Vista by shrinking the partion in Disk Management and then create a new partion

Advertisement